Oil pressure drop

Rubi_the_jeep

Hey guys I️ have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 and I’m hoping i could get some advice on this. Randomly at a complete stop with the engine running the oil pressure will drop and the engine will almost stall but save itself and come right back ad run perfectly fine. The pressure won’t go to 0 but it drops significantly then comes back up. Also sometimes when I️ am driving it will randomly hesitate and let off the gas and all the way back on again. Not sure if this relates tot the same thing. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

black pearl

Hooked
Hey guys I️ have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 and I’m hoping i could get some advice on this. Randomly at a complete stop with the engine running the oil pressure will drop and the engine will almost stall but save itself and come right back ad run perfectly fine. The pressure won’t go to 0 but it drops significantly then comes back up. Also sometimes when I️ am driving it will randomly hesitate and let off the gas and all the way back on again. Not sure if this relates tot the same thing. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

If your at a stop and the engine rpms drop your oil pressure will also drop, as the pump slows with the engine. Also if your getting hesitation I would start with the fuel system. Fuel pump pressure, fuel filter, injectors and so on.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Are you referring to the cheap fabric at the bottom of the fuel pump in the fuel tank that needs to be dropped out to access it?That’s not where I would want to start...
Does it only hesitate when idling or when driving as well? Any codes come up?

There’s no inline filter? I haven’t had anything old enough to worry about a fuel filter, in a while.

PT1400

I've got a '97 with a 4.0 with 190k on the ticker. I work on generator engines by day and tinker with my TJ by night. Mine does do that on occasion. When it does happen the oil is hot and I'm either on a trail at an odd angle or if I'm hard on the brakes. I've dove into my engine looking for anything. From what I can gather, the rod and main bearings are the first to go when you're talking engine wear over time. I've pulled and inspected the rod and main bearings and they look fine. I've gone through the fuel system and everything's within spec. It happened more when I was running 10w-30 so I upped it to 10w-40 and it got better. I switched over to 15w-40 and the problem is pretty much nonexistent. This pretty much tells me I'm going to need a rebuild at some point.

How many miles are on yours? How many owners?

Rubi_the_jeep

I've got a '97 with a 4.0 with 190k on the ticker. I work on generator engines by day and tinker with my TJ by night. Mine does do that on occasion. When it does happen the oil is hot and I'm either on a trail at an odd angle or if I'm hard on the brakes. I've dove into my engine looking for anything. From what I can gather, the rod and main bearings are the first to go when you're talking engine wear over time. I've pulled and inspected the rod and main bearings and they look fine. I've gone through the fuel system and everything's within spec. It happened more when I was running 10w-30 so I upped it to 10w-40 and it got better. I switched over to 15w-40 and the problem is pretty much nonexistent. This pretty much tells me I'm going to need a rebuild at some point.

How many miles are on yours? How many owners?

86000. 2nd owner but have owned it for most of its lifetime

Rubi_the_jeep

Are you referring to the cheap fabric at the bottom of the fuel pump in the fuel tank that needs to be dropped out to access it?That’s not where I would want to start...
Does it only hesitate when idling or when driving as well? Any codes come up?

It will be driving perfectly fine and then randomly cut throttle and then come right back and be fine. And while I’m at idle for a bit, rpm will drop and almost die and the “check gauges” light comes on. The oil pressure drops almost to zero then it saves itself.

Check your battery and ground connections while you’re at it. Check gauge light means you’ve likely angered the electrical gods. Scan it for codes, see if you get any weird ones like circuit too low/high

danielk37

Hey guys. I’m having the same problem on my 07 LJ rubi. I have 80k miles on it. I was wondering if it could be the fuel pump going bad? Or the oil pump is going out?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Hey guys. I’m having the same problem on my 07 LJ rubi. I have 80k miles on it. I was wondering if it could be the fuel pump going bad? Or the oil pump is going out?

If you have the same problems I would suggest the same answers above..

cammarie1

Hey guys,
Just on the oil subject, I wanna suggest using a better oil product, because a few years ago, they started pulling the good additives (zinc) out of my regular brand of oil. We now all use Rotella T4.

I won't derail the thread, but I mention that just because i've seen bad oil lead to excess wear on one 4.0 now, and skimpy oil is going to wear out your moving components (cam/lifters) faster than it should. Kinda an "FYI" for anyone who doesn't know about the oil prob.

Top Bottom