WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

WJCO

Meme King
Since installing my used engine, the oil pressure on the dash has read zero. I never had any noises nor metal in the oil so I wasn't too concerned. The sender that came with my used engine was leaking through the plastic connector but I left it on just to speed things up when I did the swap. After I originally started the engine and saw that it was reading no oil pressure, I went to take the sender off my old engine (since I knew it worked) and swap it, but accidentally broke it in the process. So I ordered a Mopar one because I needed one anyways. It was WAY cheaper from one online seller but when it arrived, it had a Mopar part number stamped on it. Well it didn't fix a damn thing. So at this point, I manually checked the pressure with a gauge and it was fine. My gut feeling was that it would be. This was months ago. The Mopar sensor was so cheap, I've had this feeling it may have been a fake. So I got an aftermarket from O'Reillys and just got around to installing it today. It's fixed! Just like that. So regardless, the "Mopar" one was defective. Nice to have a normal reading on the dash and the 'check gauges' indicator is no longer illuminated.

IMG_20190203_125331_046.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Since installing my used engine, the oil pressure on the dash has read zero. I never had any noises nor metal in the oil so I wasn't too concerned. The sender that came with my used engine was leaking through the plastic connector but I left it on just to speed things up when I did the swap. After I originally started the engine and saw that it was reading no oil pressure, I went to take the sender off my old engine (since I knew it worked) and swap it, but accidentally broke it in the process. So I ordered a Mopar one because I needed one anyways. It was WAY cheaper from one online seller but when it arrived, it had a Mopar part number stamped on it. Well it didn't fix a damn thing. So at this point, I manually checked the pressure with a gauge and it was fine. My gut feeling was that it would be. This was months ago. The Mopar sensor was so cheap, I've had this feeling it may have been a fake. So I got an aftermarket from O'Reillys and just got around to installing it today. It's fixed! Just like that. So regardless, the "Mopar" one was defective. Nice to have a normal reading on the dash and the 'check gauges' indicator is no longer illuminated.

Awesome and congrats to finally getting this thing fixed. I know it would have bugged the hell out of me too.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Weird to hear about the chintzy Morpar part. Good to hear that you got it fixed. Zero oil pressure on the gauge would be unnerving even if you know it’s fine.

I’ll be glad when spring comes around and I can reset my TPMS and have it stick.

WJCO

Meme King
With what few real gauges we have, bad readings and dummy lights drive me nuts. I don't get how some guys can drive around on the daily with their clusters looking like a damn Christmas tree.

Congrats on getting it fixed. 🍻

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

I am with you on dash lights drives me crazy.
Great fix Doug.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Removing light bulbs help. Glad its still up and running.

So does tape, but still... 🙄

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Awesome and congrats to finally getting this thing fixed. I know it would have bugged the hell out of me too.

Weird to hear about the chintzy Morpar part. Good to hear that you got it fixed. Zero oil pressure on the gauge would be unnerving even if you know it’s fine.

I’ll be glad when spring comes around and I can reset my TPMS and have it stick.

Thanks, guys. Yes, just glad to have it back to the way it's supposed to be.

Ddays

Hooked
Irritating when you get a bad factory part out of the box. Had a bad wheel speed sensor that drove me nuts for a couple months before I figured out I replaced a bad one with another bad one :crazyeyes:

WJCO

Meme King
Irritating when you get a bad factory part out of the box. Had a bad wheel speed sensor that drove me nuts for a couple months before I figured out I replaced a bad one with another bad one :crazyeyes:

No shit. So frustrating.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Hey Doug, I noticed your transfer case has three options. I have been looking at GC's and some have the four with neutral. Those seem to be paired with a 4.0 and correct me if I'm wrong a 242 TC. Do you like the option on yours with the V8? A V8 would be sweet of course. :D

WJCO

Meme King
Hey Doug, I noticed your transfer case has three options. I have been looking at GC's and some have the four with neutral. Those seem to be paired with a 4.0 and correct me if I'm wrong a 242 TC. Do you like the option on yours with the V8? A V8 would be sweet of course. :D

Mine is the 247. I've been ok with it. I thought at one point I had an issue with it, but it ended up being something else. It's got 160k on it and it's been fine. I change the fluid about every 1-2 years which isn't much mileage for me. I know the NV247 doesn't get the best feedback, but I've ran on it just fine with no issues. Even after doing diff gears, bigger tires, and a front axle swap, it's still hanging in there.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Mine is the 247. I've been ok with it. I thought at one point I had an issue with it, but it ended up being something else. It's got 160k on it and it's been fine. I change the fluid about every 1-2 years which isn't much mileage for me. I know the NV247 doesn't get the best feedback, but I've ran on it just fine with no issues. Even after doing diff gears, bigger tires, and a front axle swap, it's still hanging in there.

Thanks! I've seen a few out here I'm going to check out.

WJCO

Meme King
I pressed new bushings in my rear upper A-arm today.
Back story on this: A couple years ago while nothing was wrong with them, I preventatively had a shop replace them because the Jeep had 140k on it. Well I was talked into Crown bushings by someone I trusted and went with those. The day I got the Jeep back from the shop (that I trusted), I heard a weird squeaking noise in the back. I found the arm bolts were never fricking tightened by the tech, so I did that easy enough. 2 weeks later, that noise re-appeared again. As soon as I looked back there, I could see that one of the bushings didn't look the same as the other one. A prybar quickly confirmed that it never got pressed in all the way and was loose in the arm. Being that this shop had fucked up a ton of other stuff that I haven't even mentioned here, I wasn't going to take it back to them. So I used the prybar the best I could to get the bushing in deep enough and put some tack-welds on it to keep it in place (and it's actually held up quite well for a couple of years now) . Six months or so after that, I had a different noise and quickly found out that the rubber in both bushings had torn. Sooooo, I learned a lot from this experience. I probably should have just left the fuckers alone since there was nothing wrong with them, and I should have gone with the Mopar ones from the beginning since they had already proved themselves for 140,000 miles. The cracked rubber wasn't causing a major problem, so I've been driving this way since then, but about 2-3 weeks ago, the Jeep now pulls right and left when I accelerate or brake, and I had a feeling it was those rear bushings since I already knew they were bad. So I ordered some Mopar ones, Took the arm off, cut the welds I had done earlier and pressed the new ones in.

IMG_6464.JPG

In the process, I found out one of the mounting holes had elongated to almost twice the diameter of the original bolt hole. It's hard to see in the photos, but I welded a 3/16" washer on and it should hold.

0223191128.jpg

0223191129.jpg

It's definitely solved the issue I've been having for a few weeks, but I still got something funky going on in the front. I think my steering box might be going out. Another project for another day.

Top Bottom