The build/re-build of Gruff

Ddays

Hooked
Seems like it's been forever since I updated Gruff's thread. Finally got him ready for the year mechanically. Got my Exodus 7075 TR mounted up and also a matching Ruffstuff DL.
The install was straighforward but both links cause some unforseen clearance issues in my case. With the TR, the clearance wasn't so much caused by it, rather it was caused by the steering ram mounts from my original install years ago. The positioning of the mount on the axle caused the mount on the TR itself to contact the diff cover. At first we thought it wouldn't be a big deal, and I even consulted Bubba on it. I was going to let it go because the contact was very slight until we had the Jeep up on a lift cycling the steering and axle.
If I would happen to be in a situation that the TR was pushed back by an obstacle and contacted the diff cover hard enough, the steering would get stuck on the ram mount and i'd be screwed. Yes it would flex back after I got off the obstacle, but at that moment I'd be unable to steer at all. Unfortunately I didn't get good pics of this scenario but I ended up having to have new mounts fabbed up for both ends of the cylinder - one on the axle and a mount on the TR.

cyl mount.jpg

cly mount 2.jpg

cyl mount 3.jpg

TR DL 1.jpg

TR DL 2.jpg

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
Problem #2 cropped up after the Dl issue got solved. Under extreme flex, the new Ruffstuff DL was now contacting the frame because of the increase in diameter over theSynergy link I was running. :crazyeyes: I've always had great flex with my setup and never had any issues with rubbing, either on the frame while steering, or on the underside of the fender area.

tire clearance.jpg

fender clearance.jpg

So we agonized over this for a few days and instead of adding more bump stop, which admittedly would be a simple quick fix, we opted to notch the frame to create the clearance. Part of the logic was that since I'm going to be moving to coil overs eventually, and I guess I never want to say never on going to a PR 60 front axle, I'd just have the notch done and be ready for it if I ever do go that route. Either way, I won't have to worry about clearance on the DL anymore

frame 1.jpg

frame 2.jpg

jdofmemi

Seems like it's been forever since I updated Gruff's thread. Finally got him ready for the year mechanically. Got my Exodus 7075 TR mounted up and also a matching Ruffstuff DL.
The install was straighforward but both links cause some unforseen clearance issues in my case. With the TR, the clearance wasn't so much caused by it, rather it was caused by the steering ram mounts from my original install years ago. The positioning of the mount on the axle caused the mount on the TR itself to contact the diff cover. At first we thought it wouldn't be a big deal, and I even consulted Bubba on it. I was going to let it go because the contact was very slight until we had the Jeep up on a lift cycling the steering and axle.
If I would happen to be in a situation that the TR was pushed back by an obstacle and contacted the diff cover hard enough, the steering would get stuck on the ram mount and i'd be screwed. Yes it would flex back after I got off the obstacle, but at that moment I'd be unable to steer at all. Unfortunately I didn't get good pics of this scenario but I ended up having to have new mounts fabbed up for both ends of the cylinder - one on the axle and a mount on the TR.

View attachment 325420

View attachment 325421

View attachment 325422

View attachment 325423

View attachment 325424

Nice work on getting the clearance you needed.

Am I seeing things, or did you have to grind one of the ribs on the Dynatrac cover for the clamp to get the last bit of travel?

The offset on the bracket is an ingenious way to handle the problem. I am gathering ideas for mine in case I go hydro and have the same problems.

fiend

Caught the Bug

View attachment 325420

View attachment 325421

View attachment 325422

View attachment 325423

View attachment 325424

Clearance issues for the ram with an oversized tie rod are exacerbated by the high steer knuckles. I encountered that when I put on Rancho knuckles. I had to shift the ram mounts to the driver side a couple of inches and also grind down the diff cover a bit to maintain decent steering angle. Glad you got it sorted.

IMG_1776.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

Clearance issues for the ram with an oversized tie rod are exacerbated by the high steer knuckles. I encountered that when I put on Rancho knuckles. I had to shift the ram mounts to the driver side a couple of inches and also grind down the diff cover a bit to maintain decent steering angle. Glad you got it sorted.

View attachment 325431

☝️ This, for sure. I had to get creative with the grinder to make the hydro work without a flip.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Ddays

Hooked
Damn I surprised you had clearance issues to cause you to notch the frame now

Tell me about it. The really nice TR mount Bubba made me had to get totally re-done. :mad: The extra dia of the Ruff Stuff DL is what caused the interference.

Nice work on getting the clearance you needed.

Am I seeing things, or did you have to grind one of the ribs on the Dynatrac cover for the clamp to get the last bit of travel?

The offset on the bracket is an ingenious way to handle the problem. I am gathering ideas for mine in case I go hydro and have the same problems.

Yeah, one of the ribs was ground down some. This was done before we discovered that the ram mount on the DL could potentially flex into the cover and basically get locked in place if it got pinned there. We started talking about how to solve the issue and my guy started talking about de-stroking the ram. :crazyeyes: I said absolutely not, no reason to do that. So we ended up going to the offset mount. It's amazing how everything I do cascades from one more damn thing that has to be addressed...

This is why I wanted to stay low enough to avoid doing a drag link flip. I didn't want to deal with doing a frame notch to keep up travel.[/url]

Well you'll probably have to do it eventually when you put those PR60's under Fiona. ;)

View attachment 325431

Yup - ^^ that's what one of my conversations with Bubba centered on. The Reid knuckles do the same thing. I really hated grinding that cover down. I also wondered why in the hell I kept losing the Dynatrac logo on the cover. With my old TR, the ram mount got so close that it was contacting just that cover logo and knocking it off. Never did make a mark on the cover itself.

Ddays

Hooked
Busy weekend. Finally have time and the Jeep back so I can catch up on my newest additions & upkeep.

Wheel polishing day. Time to put the Chamber Pro's back on.

GR.jpg

Pol.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
Since the EVO carrier pretty much blocks up the entire rear view, I've been looking for a wireless backup camera for some time. I found one last fall at the Quarter Horse Congress show in Columbus. Finally got it mounted up. Cool thing about this one is that I can view it either on my iPad in the dash, or my phone at any time I want, not just when backing up. I tested it out over the Winter and it works really well.

cam.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
Is your drag link aluminum with the 1 ton GM ends? I need to flip mine now again and now I’m hoping one like that won’t be too big in diameter

Yeah, its a Bubba Bar. Honestly, I think the issue is with the raised mounts on the Reid & Rancho knuckles. You should be fine with the stock ones.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Yeah, its a Bubba Bar. Honestly, I think the issue is with the raised mounts on the Reid & Rancho knuckles. You should be fine with the stock ones.

Not sure about the Reids, but the Rancho knuckles don’t raise the drag link higher than the normal flipped position. The tie rod is raised, but not the drag link.

Top Bottom