Anyone towing with a 1/2 ton?

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
:eek:

Holy hell man, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. When I see rigs like you described above I make it a point to stay clear of it. Scenarios like that one too often end up
with someone saying "But officer". Vehicle tow ratings are given for good reason man!

Agreed. :thumb:

WJCO

Meme King
I want to weigh my Jeep now. I'm curious. I'm guessing it's around 6k with all the tools, etc. You just go to a landscaping rock yard? Or are there other places that weigh it?

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I want to weigh my Jeep now. I'm curious. I'm guessing it's around 6k with all the tools, etc. You just go to a landscaping rock yard? Or are there other places that weigh it?

I went to a local trucking yard that leaves their scale open on the weekends. But, you could go to any big truck stop and use their scale. Usually they charge a few bucks, though.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug

Recycle center, dump, some RV sales, cat scales, track, quarry.. there should be a number of places nearby

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Midnsped

What is the GVWR for your tow vehicle? Make sure you are within limits and monitor your temps. I pull a travel trailer with my 1/2 ton Tahoe. Trailer brake, trans cooler were a must for me, cause we head from Yuma to San Diego and Julian on I-8. Pretty aggressive incline, but she does well. IMG_0731.jpg

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
My 79 CJ came with a tow bar and that's how I got it home a few weeks ago. I have no doubt that even with a trailer for it, the Ram can handle the ride. Without a trailer it was like the jeep wasn't even back there. The Hemi pulled it no problem. Stopping was another matter. Trailer brakes will be needed for any real traveling, but that will be awhile. It will take quite some time to get the old timer up to snuff.

IMG_0317.JPG

The BAD Influence

It isn't if you can tow it, it's if you can stop it.

Maybe my response should be in the "pet peeves" thread. I've always owned 3/4 ton diesels for all my towing. I get that for our Jeeps, and some of the lite RV trailers available now, a 1/2 ton truck can manage just fine. But I live above SLC, up Parleys Canyon, and once a week a see an accident from someone who went up in their 1/2 ton, but lost control going down.
We spend so much time building up our Jeeps, paying attention to axle's and brakes. Making sure our rig can handle all the stress we put them through. Has anyone gotten under their 1/2 ton truck and looked at the axles and brakes? Our Jeeps are built stronger. And for my biggest pet peeve....the rice burner "1/2 ton". The axles and brakes on my old Cherokee are beefier than those on these supposed "1/2 ton" trucks.
So, yes I'm biased towards using a 3/4 ton truck for towing, but if you're hell bent on using a 1/2 ton, consider that controlling your trailer going down, is far more important than dragging it up.
Hell I can put a V8 in a VW bug and pull that trailer up, but that trailer is going to push me down the other side.

Last edited:

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Maybe my response should be in the "pet peeves" thread. I've always owned 3/4 ton diesels for all my towing. I get that for our Jeeps, and some of the lite RV trailers available now, a 1/2 ton truck can manage just fine. But I live above SLC, up Parleys Canyon, and once a week a see an accident from someone who went up in their 1/2 ton, but lost control going down.
We spend so much time building up our Jeeps, paying attention to axle's and brakes. Making sure our rig can handle all the stress we put them through. Has anyone gotten under their 1/2 ton truck and looked at the axles and brakes? Our Jeeps are built stronger. And for my biggest pet peeve....the rice burner "1/2 ton". The axles and brakes on my old Cherokee are beefier than those on these supposed "1/2 ton" trucks.
So, yes I'm biased towards using a 3/4 ton truck for towing, but if you're hell bent on using a 1/2 ton, consider that controlling your trailer going down, is far more important than dragging it up.
Hell I can put a V8 in a VW bug and pull that trailer up, but that trailer is going to push me down the other side.

This^^^^

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

I do agree with this. Most of the towing my Dad did with a 1/2 ton, was in relatively flat country.

FallonJeeper

Neither right or wrong, I've heard opinions both ways.
Chevy Silverado 1500 is rated to tow 5500-9400 lbs. Similar ratings for Ford F150.

Chevy Silverado 2500 and 3500 are rated to tow 13,000 to 14,000 lbs. Similar ratings for Ford F250 and F350.

My car hauler is rated up to 7000 lbs loaded. My travel trailer is rated up to 9000 lbs.
So, I could actually tow with a 1500/F150 and have . I tow with an F350. Hills are no problem up or down.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

deadguy

If I towed a couple times a month or so I would definitely go for a 3/4 but my 1/2 ton does just fine and is safe. All within weight limits and all safety precautions are taken. Maybe down the line I might upgrade to a 3/4, if I can afford it of course.

sent from a guy with a Jeep

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
If I towed a couple times a month or so I would definitely go for a 3/4 but my 1/2 ton does just fine and is safe. All within weight limits and all safety precautions are taken. Maybe down the line I might upgrade to a 3/4, if I can afford it of course.

sent from a guy with a Jeep

My 1/2 is rated for like 10,500 so I wouldn't have been worried about towing even my JK with it. But like I said above, trailer brakes are what make it possible to do. All go and no stop is scary. Like you said, with the weight in line and precautions taken, it's very doable.

FallonJeeper

My 1/2 is rated for like 10,500 so I wouldn't have been worried about towing even my JK with it. But like I said above, trailer brakes are what make it possible to do. All go and no stop is scary. Like you said, with the weight in line and precautions taken, it's very doable.
[emoji106]
Gotta have trailer brakes!

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom