ESP BAS Light

ryanh_99

Ok guys....here's a weird one for you.

About three months ago, I had the ESP BAS light come on. So I checked all four speed sensors and wiring to each one. After doing so, the light went off. Then approximately three weeks later, the light came on again. But what was weird, is that it came on at the same exact spot on the freeway as before - on a bridge crossing the Sandy river. But this time, after I shut down at the airport, then restarted, the lights were out. So I pressed on. Then it happened again...same exact spot on the same bridge. And now has repeated the same behavior about 5 times. Same exact spot on the bridge, all different times of day. What the heck could cause it to happen like this? I'm likely to replace all four speed sensors, but am curious if any one has ideas as to why this is happening at the same spot every time and no where else?

Thanks! Ryan

biggy

Did you throw a code. That would be a good place to start. If its a speed sensor it will tell you which one has the problem. In my case both times I threw speed sensor codes it was the unit bearing that was no good which was effecting the sensor. Also make sure your steering is straight as possible.

jeeeep

Hooked
Ok guys....here's a weird one for you.

About three months ago, I had the ESP BAS light come on. So I checked all four speed sensors and wiring to each one. After doing so, the light went off. Then approximately three weeks later, the light came on again. But what was weird, is that it came on at the same exact spot on the freeway as before - on a bridge crossing the Sandy river. But this time, after I shut down at the airport, then restarted, the lights were out. So I pressed on. Then it happened again...same exact spot on the same bridge. And now has repeated the same behavior about 5 times. Same exact spot on the bridge, all different times of day. What the heck could cause it to happen like this? I'm likely to replace all four speed sensors, but am curious if any one has ideas as to why this is happening at the same spot every time and no where else?

Thanks! Ryan

what's the road like in that spot? it's a bridge, do you cross bridge expansion rails (not sure what they are called but the gap from the main road and the bridge, like railroad ties) - any regular bumps and does it kick on after the fronts cross or rears? will be hard to determine if traveling at freeway speeds but something to keep aware of - that may help you narrow it to front or rear sensor.
on the other hand, you may be better off manually checking your hubs with the tires off...

JEEPnGEO

Mine does this sometimes over bridges. If the expansion joints run at a slight angle instead of being perpendicular to the lane then one tire hits that joint a little off from the other one. They have a lot of diagonal expansion joints and mine does it too. The faster I go the worse it gets.

I wish I could have the JK with the functionality of a CJ-7. Get rid of all the electronic junk. Put the key in and go.

ryanh_99

what's the road like in that spot? it's a bridge, do you cross bridge expansion rails (not sure what they are called but the gap from the main road and the bridge, like railroad ties) - any regular bumps and does it kick on after the fronts cross or rears? will be hard to determine if traveling at freeway speeds but something to keep aware of - that may help you narrow it to front or rear sensor.
on the other hand, you may be better off manually checking your hubs with the tires off...

I do cross expansion joints on the bridge. It comes on after the last expansion join on the bridge. I can tell if it's front or aft though. I will pull the wheels off this weekend and see what I find.

Thanks for the reply.

Top Bottom