JK STEERING HAS ME WANDERING.... I mean wondering

WJCO

Meme King
Then I solved the problem with the help of my brother when he came into town for the Thanksgiving holiday.
We went out Jeep shopping!
I test drove my first JL ........ AND FELL IN LOVE WITH HOW IT RIDES AND HANDLES.
A bunch of paperwork later, and I drove home my new Jeep!!!

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

Sometimes with Jeep problems, that's the only way to fix them.

jeeeep

Hooked
So to finish this thread, I solved the problem.... albeit a VERY expensive way!!!

First I removed the steering stab just to see if it was masking a problem, or maybe contributing to it (although I dont see how)
and found it made no difference.
Next I replaced the passenger side ball joints with Synergys to match the recently placed drivers side. Made no difference.
Then came a PSC Big Bore XD gear box. Nice quality, big unit....but fit right in. Wheels turn nice and smooth.... however made no difference with the steering this way/ that way problem.
:mad:
I also adjusted the tow myself, moving it a little it in and out just trying different settings to see what it did.
I noticed if I moved it enough I could feel the difference in how it steered, but it didn't effect the original complaint.
It's like I'm barking up the wrong tree. Nothing I have done has effected the constant steering back and forth issue even a little bit.

Then I solved the problem with the help of my brother when he came into town for the Thanksgiving holiday.
I test drove my first JL ........ AND FELL IN LOVE WITH HOW IT RIDES AND HANDLES.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

That’ll do it.
... here’s this link for later ��
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=58749

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Congrats on the JL!

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
So to finish this thread, I solved the problem.... albeit a VERY expensive way!!!

First I removed the steering stab just to see if it was masking a problem, or maybe contributing to it (although I dont see how)
Next I replaced the passenger side ball joints with Synergys to match the recently placed drivers side. Made no difference.
Then came a PSC Big Bore XD gear box. Nice quality, big unit....but fit right in. Wheels turn nice and smooth.... however made no difference with the steering this way/ that way problem.
I also adjusted the tow myself, moving it a little it in and out just trying different settings to see what it did.
I noticed if I moved it enough I could feel the difference in how it steered, but it didn't effect the original complaint.
It's like I'm barking up the wrong tree. Nothing I have done has effected the constant steering back and forth issue even a little bit.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

Congrats. I also test drove a JL (sport) this past weekend and the urge to buy it was strong to say the least. Think I want a Rubi this time around though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ken31756

I was curious about it as well but the JL fix... :thumb:

leave it up to 4wp to only change 1side on ball joints :doh:

Yeah I ended up doing both sides. I guess I get where 4WP was coming from... "We feel the other side is OK and don't want to waste your money".
But it seems to me all they check for is loose play, not something bound up tight.
In all my searching around underneath that jeep I did spot some signs of a prior accident to the right front.
I'm thinking there might have been remaining issues from that maybe?
Or the fact that the lift kit was installed just before I bought it, including new tires...that covered up any uneven wear, thank you very much!!!

I don't know, but in my life I have owned 8 jeeps now (8.5 if you count that old CJ7 project that never really came together)
and I never encountered such a hard to diagnose problem with any of them.

But no matter any more! :clap2:

My new jeep, not actually brand new is a 2018 JLU with 19k miles on it. Has a 3" ProComp lift w/ 35" Nitto Grapplers on 18x9 XD Grenade rims.
While out Jeep looking with my brother we probably test drove half dozen different ones, but this first one had me at hello because of the way it handled!
Never have I drove a jeep that steers and handles as well as this one.
I'm in love!!!

.....well, it's probably just pure lust! :D

Mal-Adjusted

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

I was so hoping that you had solved the mystery. I have the exact problem after 3 different shops and $6K worth of brand new parts. STILL have the problem.

Mal-Adjusted

What have you replaced, and what lift/tires do you have?

JKS 3.5" lift with 1" pucks [80K miles]/ JKS HD Front track bar [80K miles] / Fox 2.0 shocks [80K miles] / 37x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers (new) / PSC Big Bore (new) / Yeti Drag link and tie rod (new) / Dynatrac ball joints (new) / Fox ATS stabilizer (new) / fresh alignment / JKS adjustable LCA for front / AEV high steer kit.

Caster is currently 5.1 on the left and 5.5 on the right.

Last edited:

TrailHunter

Hooked
JKS 3.5" lift with 1" pucks [80K miles]/ JKS HD Front track bar [80K miles] / Fox 2.0 shocks [80K miles] / 37x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers (new) / PSC Big Bore (new) / Yeti Drag link and tie rod (new) / Dynatrac ball joints (new) / Fox ATS stabilizer (new) / fresh alignment / JKS adjustable LCA for front / AEV high steer kit.

Caster is currently 5.1 on the left and 5.5 on the right.

Have you changed your Unit Bearings?

Top Bottom