Welcome to the Tow Rig Forum!

Lil Nasty

I'm actually about to go look at a "tow rig" in a few minutes. Not to tow the JK with but to use as a work truck for around the house. It will also allow me to work on the JK for multiple days vs needing it as a daily driver.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
How do you like the 6.4? I've heard its a hit or miss with those motors, some last 100k miles and some will go a million miles.

I have 90k, it tows great. Fast as hell, from 60-100 it's a fucking rocket ship.

I loved my old 7.3, it was one noisy motor with not even close to the same power.

That being said, I owned the truck two weeks and had to have the transmission cooler replaced (on top of the transmission at the back of the motor). It was a $3,500 fix. I did buy the truck off an old guy (see old man bed cap). So it did sat for long durations.

Last edited:

JamesCo

Image1486720286.125475.jpg IMG_0078.JPG IMG_0079.JPG IMG_0104.JPG

My Fat Bottom Girl. '01 Ford F-350 4x4 7.3 L. Bought her new in '01 and will never part. She has just over 240,000 miles. Currently in my buddies garage getting new injectors this weekend. Over the past few months we've freshened her up with new tires, leveling kit, all new LED lights, master cyl, hydro-booster, calipers and shoes, pwrsterring pump, side steps and probably a bunch of other shit I'm forgetting.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Last edited:

JamesCo

I need to do injectors....
:icon_crazy:

Almost 3 grand plus labor. But she had a bad one so I'm replacing all 8 with glow plugs and wire harnesses. Can't wait to drive her after all that.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

10abadilla/jk

View attachment 243430 View attachment 243431 View attachment 243432 View attachment 243433

My Fat Bottom Girl. '01 Ford F-350 4x4 7.3 L. Bought her new in '01 and will never part. She has just over 240,000 miles. Currently in my buddies garage getting new injectors this weekend. Over the past few months we've freshened her up with new tires, leveling kit, all new LED lights, master cyl, hydro-booster, calipers and shoes, pwrsterring pump, side steps and probably a bunch of other shit I'm forgetting.

Bad ass rig. The 7.3 is a great motor.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rancho

Caught the Bug
That's what is holding me back!!! :)
Did you do anything else beside those two areas?
Did you "hop up" the injectors a bit? I find that on stock gearing and 35's I can still haul the mail. But I am thinking to get a little more out of them when I do it.
I find that if I plug my truck in for a few hours, I can drive all day. So that is keeping me going.

Almost 3 grand plus labor. But she had a bad one so I'm replacing all 8 with glow plugs and wire harnesses. Can't wait to drive her after all that.

black pearl

Hooked
Mine isn't new and doesn't look the greatest anymore but it will tow what ever I put behind it although I've never towed my jeep ... 1965 Chevy C10 cab on a 1985 GMC 1 ton frame with a 400 ci small block with a 4 speed with a double over gear box giving 3 reverse gears and 10 forward gears (although I don't shift the secondary gear box that often) IMG_4646.jpg

ScoobyCarolanNC

Mine isn't new and doesn't look the greatest anymore but it will tow what ever I put behind it although I've never towed my jeep ... 1965 Chevy C10 cab on a 1985 GMC 1 ton frame with a 400 ci small block with a 4 speed with a double over gear box giving 3 reverse gears and 10 forward gears (although I don't shift the secondary gear box that often) View attachment 243487

Bad ass!!!

Sent from my duck blind.

JamesCo

That's what is holding me back!!! :)
Did you do anything else beside those two areas?
Did you "hop up" the injectors a bit? I find that on stock gearing and 35's I can still haul the mail. But I am thinking to get a little more out of them when I do it.
I find that if I plug my truck in for a few hours, I can drive all day. So that is keeping me going.

Rancho I just went with stock injectors. With 240,000 on her I don't want to push my luck. I used to pull a 3 car trailer with 2 RV trailers on that would gross up to 27,500 lbs. She always pulled great even through the mountains of Montana. But I am planning on doing a Banks system later this year. I think their system is easier on the motor. And we are going to do the Dynatrac Free-Spin on the front axle. I'm not sure how I've made it this long without blowing my front wheel bearings.

Btw, I have 4.10 gears original. Fuel mileage sucks but it'll pull anything. 13mpg empty- 9mpg loaded with anything.

And the Chevy C10 is awesome. My first pickup was a '64 3/4 ton long bed Chevy. Had 31" Armstrong tires.

Last edited:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Mine isn't new and doesn't look the greatest anymore but it will tow what ever I put behind it although I've never towed my jeep ... 1965 Chevy C10 cab on a 1985 GMC 1 ton frame with a 400 ci small block with a 4 speed with a double over gear box giving 3 reverse gears and 10 forward gears (although I don't shift the secondary gear box that often) View attachment 243487

Such a cool looking piece of vintage steel!

M38A1Driver

1993 F-250 Super Cab 4 x 4
7.3 Diesel
5 Speed Manual Transmission

When the Old Iron is out of commission this takes it 's place...... and it turns like a battleship :D

IMG_9434-0.jpg

Top Bottom