4.88s with 40s and 4:1 tcase

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
So you don’t wheel hard why are you worried about your transfer case ratio? By the sounds of it you would not even really use 4wd much. What’s the big hold up? If you need a lower transfer case ratio you need bigger axles.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

This^ and also why would you even go to 40s if you don’t wheel hard.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Braxtonsag

So you don’t wheel hard why are you worried about your transfer case ratio? By the sounds of it you would not even really use 4wd much. What’s the big hold up? If you need a lower transfer case ratio you need bigger axles.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
Yeah I wouldn’t upgrade the tcase same time, that would be an after thought depending on how trash 4low felt. I do want to keep it useable so it would just depend whether I moved to 5.13s or not. At 5.13 I think my sport case would be fine but don’t really know on the 4.88s. I know when I swapped to 37s, the week I drove it before it got regeared on the 3.21s I damn near could’ve drove in 4 low on the highway lol. Wanting to avoid that

This^ and also why would you even go to 40s if you don’t wheel hard.

Ground clearance and extra sidewall mainly, the extra tire would be nice as well to fill in the rest of my wheel gap. I don’t need them by any means, just a want

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Just stick with 37’s, it doesn’t sound like you need 40’s... there is nothing you will do with 40’s that you can’t do with 37’s if you don’t wheel hard. I wouldn’t even think about 40’s if you can’t do it properly, gearing and steering will suck with what you have planned

wjtstudios

Hooked
Just stick with 37’s, it doesn’t sound like you need 40’s... there is nothing you will do with 40’s that you can’t do with 37’s if you don’t wheel hard. I wouldn’t even think about 40’s if you can’t do it properly, gearing and steering will suck with what you have planned

Couldn’t agree with you more. But I think he’s doing it for as much as the way it looks on 40s verses being able to run them as you do and I will. Different mindset I guess

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Braxtonsag

I literally just said I don’t need them lol my 38s are plenty. It’s just something I want to try. I know it’s not ideal, but I’m fairly certain if I can make 37s last on a dana 30 for 2 years all across the country, I’ll probably be fine with 44s and 40s. It’s not that I feel limited by my 38s whatsoever. Wjt partially nailed it
Couldn’t agree with you more. But I think he’s doing it for as much as the way it looks on 40s verses being able to run them as you do and I will. Different mindset I guess

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

You’re 75% correct. By no means do I need them, but if I can roll over small obstacles easier and in turn keep my wife less shitty and gain myself an extra hour of playing when we go out west then it’s worth it. Lol

Brute

Hooked
I literally just said I don’t need them lol my 38s are plenty. It’s just something I want to try. I know it’s not ideal, but I’m fairly certain if I can make 37s last on a dana 30 for 2 years all across the country, I’ll probably be fine with 44s and 40s. It’s not that I feel limited by my 38s whatsoever. Wjt partially nailed it

You’re 75% correct. By no means do I need them, but if I can roll over small obstacles easier and in turn keep my wife less shitty and gain myself an extra hour of playing when we go out west then it’s worth it. Lol

You know 42’s are the new 40’s...

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug

To each there own...

If you’re worried about the ride and want things to be more smooth for your wife invest in a better suspension system.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
The truth is no matter how much you spend on your jeep, your wife is still not going to like it. That’s just the way it is with some things. Just build it the way you want it and leave it at that.

Braxtonsag

Just leave the wife in the kitchen where they belong!

I laughed out loud
The truth is no matter how much you spend on your jeep, your wife is still not going to like it. That’s just the way it is with some things. Just build it the way you want it and leave it at that.

Yeah, I mean she loves the jeep, just gets annoyed getting the shit beat out of her for extended periods of time
To each there own...

If you’re worried about the ride and want things to be more smooth for your wife invest in a better suspension system.

It’s not even that it rides like shit, a lot of it is the rocking back and forth when on differentiating terrain. Aired down and front sway disconnected helps, but that rear sway still rocks the jeep violently on the right terrain. If there’s some secret you know to help with that I’m all for hearing it brother

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I laughed out loud

Yeah, I mean she loves the jeep, just gets annoyed getting the shit beat out of her for extended periods of time

It’s not even that it rides like shit, a lot of it is the rocking back and forth when on differentiating terrain. Aired down and front sway disconnected helps, but that rear sway still rocks the jeep violently on the right terrain. If there’s some secret you know to help with that I’m all for hearing it brother

There is a lot you can do to improve the ride and handling of your Jeep and adding 40’s would not be at the top of my list for how I would solve the problem.

Braxtonsag

There is a lot you can do to improve the ride and handling of your Jeep and adding 40’s would not be at the top of my list for how I would solve the problem.

Other than disconnecting the rear sway completely or swapping it for a less stiff anti rock idk of any way to lessen the jarring of coming off of a ledge etc. Iv looked at PRPs and a few other bandaid fixes, but nothings going to solve the problem completely she’s just going to have to get used to it 😂

KevinG

Caught the Bug
I was looking again at the first thread you had a few months back and remembered you had said something about the ride. A lot of guys on this forum more competent than I am, but I think you would get more adverse affects from disconnecting the rear sway bar than just leaving it in place. If you look at how thick it is, I am sure the amount of force needed to twist that bar is significantly less than the front. I do have a couple of questions for you though.
How low are you going with psi in the tires? The place we get to a lot has a pretty big parking lot, but we usually head up the service roads a bit to get a little away from the sidexsides and bikes. My wife always laughs at how smooth it is down at about 6-8 psi rather than driving in at 28-30 psi. "Fist size boulders" that you mention feel like nothing going over them and I run puny 37"

When was the last time you looked at your control arms closely? The last time you had them off? When you installed them last, did you set length on just one of the uppers and then get the other to length to where the bolt slides in without much effort? Just wondering if you have the arms in a bind. :idontknow:

I know it was just the "25%" part, but just trying to lend an idea to try before buying band aids.

Last edited:

Braxtonsag

I was looking again at the first thread you had a few months back and remembered you had said something about the ride. A lot of guys on this forum more competent than I am, but I think you would get more adverse affects from disconnecting the rear sway bar than just leaving it in place. If you look at how thick it is, I am sure the amount of force needed to twist that bar is significantly less than the front. I do have a couple of questions for you though.
How low are you going with psi in the tires? The place we get to a lot has a pretty big parking lot, but we usually head up the service roads a bit to get a little away from the sidexsides and bikes. My wife always laughs at how smooth it is down at about 6-8 psi rather than driving in at 28-30 psi. "Fist size boulders" that you mention feel like nothing going over them and I run puny 37"

When was the last time you looked at your control arms closely? The last time you had them off? When you installed them last, did you set length on just one of the uppers and then get the other to length to where the bolt slides in without much effort? Just wondering if you have the arms in a bind. :idontknow:

I know it was just the "25%" part, but just trying to lend an idea to try before buying band aids.

yeah theres no way in hell id run with no rear sway. not even considering the anti rock. i air down to around 8 psi on trails which takes most of the impact, its mainly just coming off of ledges or crossing rock garden type terrain that it gets to the point of jarring side to side, not uncommon in moab and colorado where we usually go every year. not sure if youve ever ran top of the world, but that trail is the perfect representation of the trails we like to do. not difficult by any means but being on it for hours gets tiring in the neck and back (atleast in my experience). who knows, maybe im just going too slow. could be a reason i get jarred around more than others.

the issue with reading my older threads is i tend to make changes very frequently and things i have questions about a few months prior have already been changed and remedied lol. my 38s have like 5k miles on them and im already looking at changing things around.

on a side note to everyone, i do appreciate everyones feedback, even if youre just giving me shit for wanting 40s.

Last edited:
Top Bottom