What's in your Jeep tool kit?

whispike

I always charge the tool batteries ahead of time. I've had to use the tools on the trail and have yet to have a scenario where they were run long enough to need a recharge. However I do carry the charger with me in the event it is needed and run a 1000W inverter. I have yet to use it to recharge batteries though. I have used it for other things though.

View attachment 290112

Do you have the inverter wired directly to the battery? And what type of things have you powered with it? Does the Jeep need to be running when you use it?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Five-N9ne

8mm ratcheting wrench (driveshafts)
19mm on breaker bar
Deep socket set, 3/8"
Shallow socket set, 3/8"
13/16 and 7/8 1/2" for control arms
Pro Eagle jack
Fuel line disconnects
Pipe cutter
JB Weld
BFH made from a railroad bolt and DOM
Spare yokes
Spare 1350 U-joints
Spare hose clamps
Spare e-fan
Clutch fan
Spare injector set
Thermostat
Hand tools for tire beads
Patch kit
S**t ton of zipties
Duct Tape
Beer

WJCO

Meme King
Do you have the inverter wired directly to the battery? And what type of things have you powered with it? Does the Jeep need to be running when you use it?

Yes. So what I did was ran 4 gauge wire all the way to the back of the Jeep with a circuit breaker at the battery. So I can turn the whole rear system on/off easily. The inverter is wired to that. When the rear system is on, the engine does not need to be running however, if I'm running a coffee pot, I start the engine just to be safe (coffee pot draws like 750 amps or so). I have used that inverter for that small coffee pot, grinders, drills, charging phones/tablets, etc.

DSC03659.JPG

DSC03661.JPG

DSC03658.JPG

DSC03696.JPG

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Sharkey. How long can you run your fridge off the Yeti alone?

I haven't tried to run it dry, but I have run it for a weekend camping trip with no issues. If I hop in the Jeep to cruise around exploring I typically switch the ARB back over to the Jeep.

The Yeti is far from a perfect solution. It is heavy and takes up room. My first one actually failed (electronics went bad) on me at the beginning of a 3 day trip with Eddie, Adam, and some other Wayalifers. Fortunately my Jeep battery held up fine for the remainder of the trip or I would have been an unhappy camper...literally.

Goal Zero was great and they sent me out a new battery. When that didn't fix the issue, they sent me out a new case/electronics. It was the inverter that failed. Also, for some reason the ARB won't run off the Goal Zerio's 12 volt plug. You have to use the 110 on the Yeti. I think that issue is on the ARB side, not the Yeti's.

Having used it for a couple of years now, I think the better use of money is to buy a good aftermarket battery (like the Odyssey linked in the Wayalife online Amazon shopping links) and, if possible, to run dual batteries. The Goal Zero works great for charging laptops, tools, phones, and for running other smaller draw 12 volt lights and such. I'm just not sure I trust it anymore as the primary way to keep my food cold. I still use it sometimes though as it works well for a base camp power source for the ARB if you are completely unloading the Jeep.

Last edited:

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Jeep Wheeling Bag

Overdue for building a dedicated tool bag for wheeling, decided now's the time.

Have discussed it with friends, reviewed different forums, and collected a bunch of inputs. I've thrown it into an Excel workbook you can download and play with. Filter by category, add/remove items, change prices...it'll give you a Wheeling Bag total, as well as total by category.
WheelingBag.jpg

So, if you're thinking about your own bag, perhaps want some ideas, feel free to retrieve and play with it. System won't let me upload it, so I've made it available via OneDrive, here.

Cheers!

Moose92YJ

Great thread JeepFan; just finished reading through it. Some great ideas here and also noticed something things I don't carry but probably should.

So, if you're thinking about your own bag, perhaps want some ideas, feel free to retrieve and play with it. System won't let me upload it, so I've made it available via OneDrive, here.

Cheers!

This is great, thanks for sharing all the work. My problem is figuring out how to carry the hand tools in a way that I can find them when I need them. I started with a surplus army tool bag and now everything is just thrown in there. Sockets and torque bits jump out of their holders and are loose in the bottom of the bag, etc. There has to be a better way. I’d love to see what everyone is doing to keep a list like this organized.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

black pearl

Hooked
This is great, thanks for sharing all the work. My problem is figuring out how to carry the hand tools in a way that I can find them when I need them. I started with a surplus army tool bag and now everything is just thrown in there. Sockets and torque bits jump out of their holders and are loose in the bottom of the bag, etc. There has to be a better way. I’d love to see what everyone is doing to keep a list like this organized.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

This is what I have switched to. IMG_1606.JPG IMG_1607.JPG

Oreo_penguin536

The fun thing about a 2 door is that every time you pack it, repack it or have to use a tool you get to play the puzzle game of “how the hell did I get this to fit into that”[emoji23]

Kenthejeepguy

Sorry if this has been talked about, but I think I want to start carrying a chainsaw with me, but they take up so much room. Anyone else carry one? Have you found one that’s easy to stow away?

Jackal01

A good hiking or forestry axe along with a folding saw can get a lot of work done. Plus you don't need to keep batteries charged and they're more compact. I bring my Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet on camping and wheeling trips. Haven't had the need to bring my Stihl chainsaw, however I plan to buy a larger axe just because.

WJCO

Meme King
Sorry if this has been talked about, but I think I want to start carrying a chainsaw with me, but they take up so much room. Anyone else carry one? Have you found one that’s easy to stow away?

I carry one, you can see it here in this thread, post here: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...-Jeep-tool-kit?p=763677&viewfull=1#post763677

I only started carrying one because of one time on a trail a huge tree had fallen across the trail and we had to turn around. A chainsaw would have allowed us to get through. However since I bought it, I haven't had to use it on the trail. I store the gas can and oil in the storage case as well. I purposefully left it in the Jeep the entire first Winter, and in the Spring it started right up (that stabilizer works).

But if you just want something for general survival or emergency, a chainsaw really isn't necessary. When I backpack in the winter, I carry a large survival knife and folding saw. With those two items, I've been able to cut down several small trees, process wood, and keep a fire going all night regardless of the snow depth. Similar to what Jackal01 stated.

Jackal01

I carry one, you can see it here in this thread, post here: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...-Jeep-tool-kit?p=763677&viewfull=1#post763677

I only started carrying one because of one time on a trail a huge tree had fallen across the trail and we had to turn around. A chainsaw would have allowed us to get through. However since I bought it, I haven't had to use it on the trail. I store the gas can and oil in the storage case as well. I purposefully left it in the Jeep the entire first Winter, and in the Spring it started right up (that stabilizer works).

But if you just want something for general survival or emergency, a chainsaw really isn't necessary. When I backpack in the winter, I carry a large survival knife and folding saw. With those two items, I've been able to cut down several small trees, process wood, and keep a fire going all night regardless of the snow depth. Similar to what Jackal01 stated.
I will say if I had the space for a chainsaw I would bring it no doubt. But the MS271 with 20" bar is a big sombitch so it stays home.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
A chainsaw is definitely something I would like to carry. Might look into getting one sometime in spring. Every time I've gone out to LBL I have had to turn around due to trees blocking a trail.

Maineiac

Stihl makes a nice "climbing" saw for 1 handed use. I forget model number as I'm on the road and it's not with me. Was a little expensive (300ish I think) but it's small and lightweight and as all Stihl saws is quality.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

black pearl

Hooked

A chainsaw is definitely something I would like to carry. Might look into getting one sometime in spring. Every time I've gone out to LBL I have had to turn around due to trees blocking a trail.

What about something like this? Pocket Chainsaw with Paracord Handle 36 Inches 16 Teeth Long Chain Hand Saw Fast Wood & Tree Cutting Emergency Survival Gear Best for Camping Backpacking Hiking Hunting. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075JFPZZY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_NUBHAb73WP42N

I use to have one a remember it being really easy to cut large pieces with it. I now carry a Gerber machete with a saw back and a small camping hatchet.

Kenthejeepguy

Thanks I’ll study what you’ve got. This last summer I had to turn around 4 times for 18-24” trees down. Small ones I’ve been able to winch out of the way, or just go over if their on the ground. My regular Stihl is just too big for a camping/Jeeping trip.

Top Bottom