Axle upgrade ..

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
I’m using Robert Kobal (RK Haus) from Yorba Linda . He came highly recommended from other jeepers . Spoke with him and he will be sliding in the sleeves and welding only at the ends . He’s confident it adds strength to the axles although not sure how much . It won’t weaken . Figure at this point it’s better than nothing

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Maybe go with 1350s over 1310s if you think 37s are in your future.
I'd go 1350's on 35's. I had a trail upgrade to a 1350 when my 1310 grenaded the t-case yoke and CV joint.
I’m using Robert Kobal (RK Haus) from Yorba Linda . He came highly recommended from other jeepers . Spoke with him and he will be sliding in the sleeves and welding only at the ends . He’s confident it adds strength to the axles although not sure how much . It won’t weaken . Figure at this point it’s better than nothing

I believe the reported added strength is 20 or 30% if I remember correctly per manufacturers specs. But as previously mentioned you'll be limited to the Rubi elocker as you won't be able to run the required axle shafts for an ARB.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
I'd go 1350's on 35's. I had a trail upgrade to a 1350 when my 1310 grenaded the t-case yoke and CV joint.

I believe the reported added strength is 20 or 30% if I remember correctly per manufacturers specs. But as previously mentioned you'll be limited to the Rubi elocker as you won't be able to run the required axle shafts for an ARB.

Are Rubi e lockers an issue ? Do a lot of people end up changing to ARB? I was hoping to keep using those indefinitely .

Good2Go

.......but if you’re like everyone else you’ll end up upgrading your axle down the road anyways so consider it money saved.

Q: if you’re upgrading in the future would you be able to move Prosteers into the new axle? Or are they stuck once they are pressed in to the old one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zimm

Caught the Bug
Q: if you’re upgrading in the future would you be able to move Prosteers into the new axle? Or are they stuck once they are pressed in to the old one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Prosteers can be moved. That's why I'm putting them and 1350 chromoly shafts into my rubi 44 axle. If the housing takes a poop, I'll put all that stuff into a pro rock 44.

spsmith71

I skipped the sleeves after seeing how invasive the install is. They drill big holes all through the tube of the axle in order to plug weld the sleeves to the tubes.

I did the c-gussets. I'm installing pro-steers when they arrive next week along with revolution chromoly axle shafts.

I geared to 4.88 when I was on 35's and loved it (on a 3.6 engine). Now that I'm on 37's, kinda wish I had done 5.13, but it's only a 180rpm difference in the end.

I did 5.13 with my 37s. Best choice I’ve made so far.

Exodus 4x4

Debatable, when mine bent, the tube was pulling out of the diff because the plug welds broke.
Not sure how sleeves would prevent that, nor let me drive home.

I’ve seen plenty of bent axles and every single one of them were able to be driven, so that’s my point.

I’m also sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with Synergy ball joints. While they may not be as serviceable as the Dynatrac ball joints, I’d hardly condemn them. Even the Dynatracs will wear and fail at some point the same as any ball joint. I’m only suggesting to the op that the money he’s already spent isn’t a total waste.

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
But as previously mentioned you'll be limited to the Rubi elocker as you won't be able to run the required axle shafts for an ARB.

I seem to recall that, when I looked into it a few years ago, OX made a 30 spline locker for the front Rubicon housing. I haven’t checked recently though ....

jesse3638

Hooked
I seem to recall that, when I looked into it a few years ago, OX made a 30 spline locker for the front Rubicon housing. I haven’t checked recently though ....
Thanks, I wasn't sure of the options out there. I just remember ARB's could not be used as they required the 35 spline shafts.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Nice. I did the pro-steers today. The jeep definitely is tighter handling. I thought the steering was feeling funny and binding, but then I realized I was in 4x4 in order to hold the axle still while working on it. Put into 2x4 and back to normal! With hydro steering I can't feel any difference in effort.

View attachment 305834

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Nice . I assume hydro steering isn’t necessary for 35s? I drove about 100 miles today and steering already feels more solid . Hope it will be back to standard soon

Top Bottom