Jeep JK Wrangler Front Axle Shaft Removal & Replacement Write-Up + VIDEO

Hangemhigh1

Unable to push the axle shaft all the way back.

Reinstalling the stock axle shaft. The axle shaft will not go past half way on my Dana 44 axle. Where is the seal supposed to be located? From my understanding the seal should be toward the rear of the shaft at the pumpkin. Is this correct? I removed 2 plastic guides from the inside of the tube similar to the ones in your picture. Could there be more? I snapped a picture prior to going to work. Not sure what this ring is, could someone enlighten me please? I a bit frustrated that I can’t get the shaft in as easy as the ones depicted on all the videos I was glued to prior to taking on this task. Thank you in advance for your response.
38EA0D4F-FA73-4F78-A0E4-4D2A2166273D.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Reinstalling the stock axle shaft. The axle shaft will not go past half way on my Dana 44 axle. Where is the seal supposed to be located? From my understanding the seal should be toward the rear of the shaft at the pumpkin. Is this correct? I removed 2 plastic guides from the inside of the tube similar to the ones in your picture. Could there be more? I snapped a picture prior to going to work. Not sure what this ring is, could someone enlighten me please? I a bit frustrated that I can’t get the shaft in as easy as the ones depicted on all the videos I was glued to prior to taking on this task. Thank you in advance for your response.

Yes, the seal is at the pumpkin. Are you making sure to tilt your axle up a bit when you're installing the shaft? You need to raise the splined end up so that it's not sitting on the base of the tube.

Hangemhigh1

Yes, the seal is at the pumpkin. Are you making sure to tilt your axle up a bit when you're installing the shaft? You need to raise the splined end up so that it's not sitting on the base of the tube.
Yes I am tilting the shaft up. The way it feels when I put the axle in is that it feels like it is going into something then just past that “something” it will not go any further. The shaft at this point is only half way in. I’m wondering if what I see in the picture is jamming up the axle before it reaches the very back.
3B4CA67B-5FE2-445E-914F-B0F8C02CF803.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I am tilting the shaft up. The way it feels when I put the axle in is that it feels like it is going into something then just past that “something” it will not go any further. The shaft at this point is only half way in. I’m wondering if what I see in the picture is jamming up the axle before it reaches the very back.

Can't really tell in the pic you posted but I have seen a few cases where more than one installation ring was used from the factory and could still be in the tube. I'd give that another look.

Hangemhigh1

Can't really tell in the pic you posted but I have seen a few cases where more than one installation ring was used from the factory and could still be in the tube. I'd give that another look.
. Thank you Eddie, I’m hoping the drivers side shaft is more “user friendly”. This side is giving me a headache. I will get it though.

Hangemhigh1

. Thank you Eddie, I’m hoping the drivers side shaft is more “user friendly”. This side is giving me a headache. I will get it though.
Hello again Eddie,
I got home and began checking out why the axle shaft will not go in all the way. Turns out it would not go past the ring that I took a picture of this morning. I pulled it out and realized my worst fear. It was the shaft seal that had walked down the tube about half way. I’m wondering if this is the whole seal or if there is more of the seal still at the rear of the tube. Could you tell if this is the whole seal?
3CAC932E-C4B2-4AD0-8638-AC9CB18B1598.jpg 289E2F07-F74B-43F1-9AB4-8FD21A621FE4.jpg C408C3D5-C5D1-467B-8544-DB24F6D6D685.jpg

fiend

Caught the Bug
Hello again Eddie,
I got home and began checking out why the axle shaft will not go in all the way. Turns out it would not go past the ring that I took a picture of this morning. I pulled it out and realized my worst fear. It was the shaft seal that had walked down the tube about half way. I’m wondering if this is the whole seal or if there is more of the seal still at the rear of the tube. Could you tell if this is the whole seal?
View attachment 322331 View attachment 322332 View attachment 322333

I have a memory about a thread from maybe a year ago talking about two piece seals.

You have to take your carrier out to replace the seal, so it doesn’t really matter whether what came out for you is the entire seal or only part of it. If the latter, you’ll discover that when you extract your carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hangemhigh1

I have a memory about a thread from maybe a year ago talking about two piece seals.

You have to take your carrier out to replace the seal, so it doesn’t really matter whether what came out for you is the entire seal or only part of it. If the latter, you’ll discover that when you extract your carrier.

Thank you again for your insight Eddie. All your input was very enlightening. Also I want to thank you for all the videos. JK , JL, or anything in between, I watch them as soon as they come out, they are awesome! Just as a footnote, the reason for removing the axle shaft to begin with, was to install my dynatrac ball joints I saw highlighted on one of your videos.:thumb::thumb:

WJCO

Meme King
Hello again Eddie,

Yep. See this thread:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/54132-Inner-axle-seal-experimenting

Hey Eddy question for you. Ive watched your video as I am about to replace my stock shafts and was wondering, on the stock axle shaft there is a big plastic ring (not the guide ring) on the axle by the yoke that looks to sit in the axle tube opening, do new shafts not require this to be used?

Exodus 4x4

Hey Eddy question for you. Ive watched your video as I am about to replace my stock shafts and was wondering, on the stock axle shaft there is a big plastic ring (not the guide ring) on the axle by the yoke that looks to sit in the axle tube opening, do new shafts not require this to be used?

Your inbox is full.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

No, they're not needed. They do help keep gunk out of your tubes and some shops will try to sell you on the idea that you need to install outer seals but really, they're not needed.

Major thread bump!

Attempted to replace my ball joints today, only to find that my axle shaft would not budge when trying to pull it out to acces them. I gave it some taps with a mallet and while it did separate and break loose from the knuckle - about half an inch away from it - it wouldn't come out any further. No matter how many pulls or hits with the hammer either. It almost seemed like something was still preventing it from coming out, even though both caliper bolts and all three 12 point hub bolts were removed.

I was so pissed, I had to put everything back together and call it a night. Busted a speed sensor too in the process, ordered two of those up just now in case I bust the other side too.

Any ideas?

Major thread bump!

Attempted to replace my ball joints today, only to find that my axle shaft would not budge when trying to pull it out to acces them. I gave it some taps with a mallet and while it did separate and break loose from the knuckle - about half an inch away from it - it wouldn't come out any further. No matter how many pulls or hits with the hammer either. It almost seemed like something was still preventing it from coming out, even though both caliper bolts and all three 12 point hub bolts were removed.

I was so pissed, I had to put everything back together and call it a night. Busted a speed sensor too in the process, ordered two of those up just now in case I bust the other side too.

Any ideas?

This is a good thread.

I feel like the first time I had them out was much harder. I just tapped where the arrow is with a steel wedge / chisel and a 5 pound beater, going around in a circle until it eventually broke free…I’m sure there’s a few tricks out there.

IMG_0394.jpeg

This is a good thread.

I feel like the first time I had them out was much harder. I just tapped where the arrow is with a steel wedge / chisel and a 5 pound beater, going around in a circle until it eventually broke free…I’m sure there’s a few tricks out there.

View attachment 392431

Haven't tried that spot yet, worth a shot. I was having trouble getting it past the end of the hub itself circled here, since I didn't remove it from the shaft:
IMG_0394.jpeg
Think it'd help to remove the hub nut? I just didn't have a 36mm on hand and didn't think you'd need to remove it.

Top Bottom