CA legal cat converters???

jesse3638

Hooked
Are any other cats CARB legal and just won't be sold here? In other words, if I went to Nevada to have a cat installed, would it pass visual here in California?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

No. There is a CARB (California Air Resources Board) specific list which the numbers much match the year, make and model of the vehicle. However I do know a guy, he charges a bit more but you'll pass the visual..;)

jesse3638

Hooked
If it does not have a CARB E.O. number and the inspector sees it, you will not pass.
Looks like we were typing at the same time..haha. It's baffling that you cannot use a part that reduces your vehicles emissions simply because they did not pay to have it approved. Another reason to leave CA.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JDDK

my old exhaust has like a quarter inch build up of burnt rust and cemented mud that you couldnt chisel off to find a number. muffler shop said they will look hard when it appears new or looks aftermarket. He had personally failed people when the stamp wasnt there.

save money, go on a wheelin trip, get a NV or AZ replacement, go mudding before your test. all good. the thing could pass with loose bolts and a rust holes. it has 4 flippin cats on it...

fiend

Caught the Bug
Looks like we were typing at the same time..haha. It's baffling that you cannot use a part that reduces your vehicles emissions simply because they did not pay to have it approved. Another reason to leave CA.

Moving states because of an exhaust component. First world problems. 🤣

Seriously, CARB exists for a reason. Anyone who was around in so cal in the 60s or has been to Beijing recently knows that clean air in a populated place comes at a cost.

BaddestCross

Seriously, CARB exists for a reason. Anyone who was around in so cal in the 60s or has been to Beijing recently knows that clean air in a populated place comes at a cost.
Hell, you couldn't see downtown or the San Gabriel mountains in the 70s and 80s... I'm not complaining about CARB (completely), just wondering if it was cheaper to get a CARB-approved cat out of state for some reason.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

fiend

Caught the Bug
Hell, you couldn't see downtown or the San Gabriel mountains in the 70s and 80s... I'm not complaining about CARB (completely), just wondering if it was cheaper to get a CARB-approved cat out of state for some reason.

--

I didn’t live here then but I was in Beijing about 5 years ago. Like being confined in a small closet with several of your chain-smoking aunts. 🤢

jesse3638

Hooked

No that's not what I'm saying. I too remember the smog. I hated going "down the hill" as a kid. I agree with air quality laws and gross polluter regulations. What I don't agree with is the state having companies pay to verify their exhaust components meet those standards and be granted an EO number in order to be used. If the exhaust sniffer at a test station says model xyz is within parameters why even look. Sure disconnected parts and pieces can cause a false pass. Look for that stuff not a number that 49 other states don't look for.

JDDK

just finished the swap in 4hrs. runs so much quieter. no gas and egg odor. no death rattle and funky idle. going for a 1 hr freeway trip now to see if mpg improves too.

Top Bottom