Which Winch?

steve_r2

Out here I end up winching all sorts....from fat bloated LR's to Raptors all way heavier than JK's
I have a Zeon 10s and it works well for all situations.....I would go for it ;)

Tackerdown

Banned
I've been told and have read that you need to make sure if you buy a cheep one that it is sealed to prevent water damage. My one cent.

Sent from my SPH-L720

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Really, I guess I stand corrected then. I'm solely going by what I've been told from people in the off road industry and from what I've read online...my bad

In all fairness, the general guideline is to get a winch that has a capacity that is roughly double your vehicles weight. For a JKU that weighs about 5,000 lbs., a 10,000 winch would fit the bill. Having said that, most people will never be in a situation where pushing the capacity to the limit is needed and, even if it is, the right tools and knowhow will make all the difference. :yup:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
In all fairness, the general guideline is to get a winch that has a capacity that is roughly double your vehicles weight. For a JKU that weighs about 5,000 lbs., a 10,000 winch would fit the bill. Having said that, most people will never be in a situation where pushing the capacity to the limit is needed and, even if it is, the right tools and knowhow will make all the difference. :yup:

Now you tell me. I have EVO working on a custom front bumper we've dubbed the "1/4 ton'er" to hold this 40,000 lb mooring winch. Do you think it will impact airflow to my radiator?:cheesy:

Winch.JPG

Tackerdown

Banned
Now you tell me. I have EVO working on a custom front bumper we've dubbed the "1/4 ton'er" to hold this 40,000 lb mooring winch. Do you think it will impact airflow to my radiator?:cheesy:

View attachment 49743
LOL I think if the bumper is engineered correctly you may get enough air to pass on the right side. Either that or mount it inside the Jeep with a pulley system routed under the jeep

In5ane1

Just was wondering if its worth the time using a snatch block as opposed to paying a little more for more power. I have no experience at recovery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just was wondering if its worth the time using a snatch block as opposed to paying a little more for more power. I have no experience at recovery.

What I can tell you is that the vast majority of people who own a winch will never use it to do more than light recovery and never come close to needing the full extent of their winch's power. If you're at a point where you need to use a snatch block, chances are, you would have needed one with a winch that has a bit more capacity too. If you're on a budget, an 8,000 winch will get the job done. If you can afford it, a good 9,000-9,500 winch is what I would recommend - I can't speak for anyone else and I'm sure they are way more badass than me but, for my purposes, it's been all that I've needed. If you can afford it or want to spend more, a 10,000-12,000 winch won't hinder you in the least other than to your wallet.

In5ane1

What I can tell you is that the vast majority of people who own a winch will never use it to do more than light recovery and never come close to needing the full extent of their winch's power. If you're at a point where you need to use a snatch block, chances are, you would have needed one with a winch that has a bit more capacity too. If you're on a budget, an 8,000 winch will get the job done. If you can afford it, a good 9,000-9,500 winch is what I would recommend - I can't speak for anyone else and I'm sure they are way more badass than me but, for my purposes, it's been all that I've needed. If you can afford it or want to spend more, a 10,000-12,000 winch won't hinder you in the least other than to your wallet.

Good point. Thanks for the input! I may shoot for a 8500-9500 for now. I'm sure that will meet my needs.

In5ane1

Just curious, with minimal use, what is life of a winch. What I'm getting at is I'd they last many years, I'd be more inclined to spend more now.

Wizard

Just curious, with minimal use, what is life of a winch. What I'm getting at is I'd they last many years, I'd be more inclined to spend more now.

My Warn M8000 is a 1980's model, and still pulling strong. It's on it's second vehicle now.

Smokinjoe

I run a XRC10 and thankful I never had to use it on the trail. I have used it at home fixing fence and moving a tuff shed with no issues just needed another jeep to hold me down.

Firewrangler

Think I'm gonna gamble on the Q9500 from Quadratec. Hopefully it won't come back to bite me. I guess now my decision is cable or synthetic line.

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
I researched winches for about 2 years before I settled on the warn power plant. I have no regrets.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I researched winches for about 2 years before I settled on the warn power plant. I have no regrets.

It's what we've been using for the last 7 years on our white JK and for the last 2 years on our dozer JK. Plain and simple, they work and work well.

In5ane1

To not start a new thread...what do you do when there are no trees around and you are stuck?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
To not start a new thread...what do you do when there are no trees around and you are stuck?

Another vehicle, a rock, anything that you can anchor off of. If you have enough snatch blocks anything is possible.

Top Bottom