Rear Trac Bar

JPH8R

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but perhaps you can't see it because you lack experience. Based on what I've been reading, you don't even seem too interested in obtaining it. I help pit for Mel on a regular basis and I can assure you that we're NOT changing out track bars "regularly".

So in 3 yrs I have bent 2 Trac bars. Am I inexperienced? Not a professional by no means. I have been wheeling for about 15 yrs. So I do have experiance. I have bent in by being twisted crawling and prerunning it. So both worlds. It isn't that I am not interested in obtaining help or ideas.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So in 3 yrs I have bent 2 Trac bars. Am I inexperienced? Not a professional by no means. I have been wheeling for about 15 yrs. So I do have experiance. I have bent in by being twisted crawling and prerunning it. So both worlds. It isn't that I am not interested in obtaining help or ideas.

Fair enough, I don't know you from Adam, have no clue as to how much time and miles have actually been spent on the trail during those 15 years let alone the 3 that have caused the 2 track bars to bend and that's why I made sure to say, "perhaps". Being that you're apparently aware of what caused them to bend, may I suggest that you use that knowledge and attempt not to do the same thing again.

JPH8R

Fair enough, I don't know you from Adam, have no clue as to how much time and miles have actually been spent on the trail during those 15 years let alone the 3 that have caused the 2 track bars to bend and that's why I made sure to say, "perhaps". Being that you're apparently aware of what caused them to bend, may I suggest that you use that knowledge and attempt not to do the same thing again.

I am sort of aware of what creates the bending, it tends to be at speed with hard turns. Like unloading and reloading the suspension in a turn. I am definately going to be paying more attention to the track bar after every outing. To see what may be doing it exactly.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I am sort of aware of what creates the bending, it tends to be at speed with hard turns. Like unloading and reloading the suspension in a turn. I am definately going to be paying more attention to the track bar after every outing. To see what may be doing it exactly.

An inherent feature of track bars is that the axle moves side to side as the suspension flexes. Because the track bar is often not parallel to the ground, up travel transfers longitudinal force to the track bar, which might cause it to bend. Up travel during a right turn will transfer even more longitudinal force on the rear bar, because turning will tend to push the rear axle to the right relative to the vehicle, which the track bar will resist. I would suspect that your bend, assuming it was the rear bar, occurred during a high speed, bumpy right turn.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
An inherent feature of track bars is that the axle moves side to side as the suspension flexes. Because the track bar is often not parallel to the ground, up travel transfers longitudinal force to the track bar, which might cause it to bend. Up travel during a right turn will transfer even more longitudinal force on the rear bar, because turning will tend to push the rear axle to the right relative to the vehicle, which the track bar will resist. I would suspect that your bend, assuming it was the rear bar, occurred during a high speed, bumpy right turn.

^ This is pretty much my assumption as well. :yup: Even all the way from Tejas

yeahsciencebitch.jpg

Vinnielax

Stop with all of this “logic” and “deductive reasoning “ ;)

rubiconrunner

I too bent a trac bar once.. I replaced it, laid off the skinny when necessary and pulled a line when necessary vs being a macho metal masher.... haven’t bent a trac bar since. Don’t know what would make 2 of them go out in 3 years though IMG_0366.JPG

Top Bottom