Teraflex Full Float Hubs

jeeeep

Hooked
I've taken a look at SpynTec due to the rate I'm burning thru hubs.

My 2010 was my daily driver (until the JL) and also driven to and from wheeling locations. Since going to 37's and beadlocks the stock hubs have been my nemesis. I've tried Timkins but they didn't last may longer than O'Reilly's brand, difference being O'Reilly has a 3 year warranty so lots of exchanges...

While swapping out the hub is not difficult, letting it go before I had time to replace it has caused me to replace other parts as well as tires.

I do like the laziness of not getting out to lock in the hubs but I'm also thinking the price of the SpynTec isn't that much with what I've spent on repair parts due to the hubs wearing out so damn fast and me not able to repair them as soon as I should.

I'm also thinking it's time to get wheels with different backspacing. Changing from ATX 4" BS to KMC 3.5" BS seems to have decreased the time between hubs - I think I should be at 4.5" BS on both the JK and JL :doh:

Clutch

Caught the Bug

My 2010 was my daily driver (until the JL) and also driven to and from wheeling locations. Since going to 37's and beadlocks the stock hubs have been my nemesis. I've tried Timkins but they didn't last may longer than O'Reilly's brand, difference being O'Reilly has a 3 year warranty so lots of exchanges...

While swapping out the hub is not difficult, letting it go before I had time to replace it has caused me to replace other parts as well as tires.

I do like the laziness of not getting out to lock in the hubs but I'm also thinking the price of the SpynTec isn't that much with what I've spent on repair parts due to the hubs wearing out so damn fast and me not able to repair them as soon as I should.

I'm also thinking it's time to get wheels with different backspacing. Changing from ATX 4" BS to KMC 3.5" BS seems to have decreased the time between hubs - I think I should be at 4.5" BS on both the JK and JL :doh:

Are others on D44’s burning through unit bearings like you? Would a PR 44 help much?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug

Don’t forget to factor in the cost of new wheels with the 5x5.5 lug pattern if you go Spyntec. Costs start to add up ...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are others on D44’s burning through unit bearings like you? Would a PR 44 help much?

It's the 3.5" of back spacing that are causing ball joints and unit bearings to wear out. Factory is 6.25" and the less you go, the more stress it puts on your components. This is a BIG part of why we went to a 72.5" wide XD60 on Rubicat and so that we could run wheels with 5.5" of back spacing AND this is why we're now running wheels with 4.75" of back spacing on our JL. Seems like the more cost effective way to go especially being that we wanted new beadlocks anyway. :yup:

TrailHunter

Hooked
It's the 3.5" of back spacing that are causing ball joints and unit bearings to wear out. Factory is 6.25" and the less you go, the more stress it puts on your components. This is a BIG part of why we went to a 72.5" wide XD60 on Rubicat and so that we could run wheels with 5.5" of back spacing AND this is why we're now running wheels with 4.75" of back spacing on our JL. Seems like the more cost effective way to go especially being that we wanted new beadlocks anyway. :yup:

The more I read stuff like this... the more I think I should just run stock wheels with spacers... putting me at 4.75 instead of 3.5.... But I’d much rather run the Slabs that are sitting in my garage... I guess it all comes down to how much time you want to spend replacing worn parts.

Ddays

Hooked

Unfortunately the PR44 won't help at all because it uses stock unit bearings.

Don’t forget to factor in the cost of new wheels with the 5x5.5 lug pattern if you go Spyntec. Costs start to add up ...

This is what stops me in my tracks every time I start to thinking this is a good idea...:grayno:

The more I read stuff like this... the more I think I should just run stock wheels with spacers... putting me at 4.75 instead of 3.5.... But I’d much rather run the Slabs that are sitting in my garage... I guess it all comes down to how much time you want to spend replacing worn parts.

I change mine out every Winter now as part of my yearly maintenance "overhaul ". It's a pain in the ass but also peace of mind.

Ddays

Hooked

If I were to start out all over with a clean slate this is what I would do even though I'm never going over the 37's I'm currently running. Ahhh, the stuff we learn as we go....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I were to start out all over with a clean slate this is what I would do even though I'm never going over the 37's I'm currently running. Ahhh, the stuff we learn as we go....

Indeed. The learning curve is always an expensive one for those who are willing to be an early adopter. Fortunately, I intend to apply some of what I’ve learned on our new JL.

TrailHunter

Hooked

This is what stops me in my tracks every time I start to thinking this is a good idea...:grayno:

I change mine out every Winter now as part of my yearly maintenance "overhaul ". It's a pain in the ass but also peace of mind.

Yup... go big or go home... and by home I mean, in the garage to wrench. [emoji849]

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
For guys sticking with 35’s or 37’s... I’m wondering if you could use the new JL PR44 under a JK?? It uses JK gears, and gives you a little extra width which could help reduce wear on ball joints and hub assemblies.... I’m curious how different the mounting brackets are...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5fJobSjZegU

Prob different enough that you would need to cut and move them for them to work with the jk

jdofmemi

Fortunately a pair or unit bearings is only about $150 give or take. And a few hours wrenching to change. Plus, you need to check out everything anyway so it's not that big of a deal. Just the price to play.

For guys sticking with 35’s or 37’s... I’m wondering if you could use the new JL PR44 under a JK?? It uses JK gears, and gives you a little extra width which could help reduce wear on ball joints and hub assemblies.... I’m curious how different the mounting brackets are...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5fJobSjZegU

Well, don't stop with the axle, just trade up to a JL before you get a ton of money invested in the JK.

I'm sure Mel would give you credit to swap that unopened lift😁😁😁

TrailHunter

Hooked
Fortunately a pair or unit bearings is only about $150 give or take. And a few hours wrenching to change. Plus, you need to check out everything anyway so it's not that big of a deal. Just the price to play.

Well, don't stop with the axle, just trade up to a JL before you get a ton of money invested in the JK.

I'm sure Mel would give you credit to swap that unopened lift[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

No way!!... I love my JK... Besides, why trade up to basically the same motor and having to upgrade axles eventually anyway. And I opened the lift.. lol

Top Bottom