NEW Shoes for MOBY : 40x13.50R17 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro M/T Tires

johansrt8

lots of info here. im looking to order the machete wheels and sst pro 37,13.50 on 17 inch for my jeep hopefully ill order them next week im running now 35's on 20 inch nittos just want a more aggressive look

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

woof359

in person

never seen a Wrangler with 40's in person, it would be interesting to see how my puny 33 BFG's compare, the tread pattern look great though:eek:

jkwebbie

There's a discount tire in Atlanta that'll even mount bead locks. The guy said it would cost a lot but they would do it.
That's a hell of a drive just to get beadlocks mounted lol. I think I'll just try it myself and try to find a shop that will balance them for me when I get them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sessoms14X

The look of these tires is really starting to grow on me and the reviews are nothing but positive too. I'm thinking I'll be going with these instead of nittos again for my next tires. The dent in my wallet will be a lot smaller too.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

g00se04

Just called my local Discount Tire and was told they cant get them until the end of November :sigh:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As much as I love bead locks, there's just no easy way to install them fast. You've just got to commit yourself to a lot of wrenching. Here are a few more pics that we took along the way.

While I was working on getting the wheels mounted into the tires, Cindy was working on cleaning up the rings the best she could and smoothing out the sharp edges left behind by parking stones at the mall.
CKCZ0932.jpg

Round and round I go! Being that the ring from the spare was still looking like new, I started the arduous process of bolting it on.
NQRU0522.jpg

Are we done yet?! Closer to the end and using a torque wrench to finish tightening up the bolts.
EPEP1789.jpg

TA-DA!! All bolted up and ready to be aired up!
XAAB2839.jpg

I'll post up more shots of these awesome Coopers installed on Moby shortly. :yup:

swampdog

As much as I love bead locks, there's just no easy way to install them fast. You've just got to commit yourself to a lot of wrenching. Here are a few more pics that we took along the way.

I'll post up more shots of these awesome Coopers installed on Moby shortly. :yup:

What wheel did you use in the grinder to smooth the rings out? I will be tearing mine down and re-building with new tires in the next few months and would love to give them a refresh.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What wheel did you use in the grinder to smooth the rings out? I will be tearing mine down and re-building with new tires in the next few months and would love to give them a refresh.

We just used a flap disc to take out the sharp edges. If you're planning on painting your rings, a dual action sander is what we've used on the face of them in the past.

Gadget

Caught the Bug

While I was working on getting the wheels mounted into the tires, Cindy was working on cleaning up the rings the best she could and smoothing out the sharp edges left behind by parking stones at the mall.
View attachment 226356

What type of stand is she grinding the ring on and where did you get it?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, the moment you've all been waiting for is finally here - shots of our new 40x13.50 Cooper Discoverer STT Pros mounted on ATX Chamber Pro II bead lock wheels and installed on Moby! Enjoy :cool:

DSC09703.jpg

DSC09705.jpg

DSC09709.jpg

DSC09725.jpg

DSC09670.jpg

DSC09696.jpg

DSC09693.jpg

DSC09694.jpg

DSC09700.jpg

DSC09712.jpg

For those of you who are interested, installed, aired up to 30 psi and with the full weight of our Jeep on the tires, the Cooper STT Pros measured 38-7/16" to the edge of the tread and that puts them at almost an inch taller than our old Toyo M/T's which came in at 37-1/2".
EPCO1786.jpg

Also, for those of you who were wanting to know, the weight difference is between a 40x13.50/R17 Cooper STT Pro and Toyo Open Country M/T, is about 15 lbs. Both mounted on an ATX Chamber Pro II bead lock wheel, the Cooper weighed in at 134.8 lbs. and the Toyo weighed in at 150 lbs.

Without having these tires balanced, we took Moby for a test drive and and found them to ride surprisingly clean and without any issues up to about 70 MPH. At 70, the front end stayed clean but we could feel some shimming in the rear end indicating one or maybe both tires were a tad out of balance. The shimming faded substantially at about 80 MPH. Needless to say, we'll be getting them balanced soon.

Because of the large lugs and voids that mud terrains have, they ALL sing louder on pavement than an all terrain or street tire and of all the ones we've tested to date, we have found Cooper STT Pros to be slightly louder than something like a new Toyo M/T. That being said, our old Toyos had about 17,000 miles on them and were actually louder on pavement than our new Coopers. Of course, compared to our old Nitto Mud Grapplers, these Coopers are essentially silent.

Top Bottom