LS swap into a 97 TJ

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Engine master kit came today. I also blew almost 250$ on spark plugs, wires, knock sensors, oil filter, valve cover paint, and more engine degreaser. Add another 306 for the heads to be hot tanked and machined and you've got yourself a very light wallet only 12 hours after you got paid. IMG_20170922_110009.jpg IMG_20170922_110013.jpg IMG_20170922_110020.jpg

Sent from my Life One X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
The fucking bald eagle sticker on the package makes the financial sacrifice null and void.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
And of course there had to be a hurdle for an otherwise promising night of work. They shorted me my piston ring set. That pretty much stops me from finishing the bottom end of the motor and of course they aren't open until Monday

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
One freshly painted and cured valve cover. I absolutely hate Chevy orange that goes onto every rebuilt Chevy motor so I picked up Chrysler blue. The ford blue was really nice looking but I can't in good conscience put Ford paint on a Chevy motor.

PT1400

Yes, original engines to Chevy vehicles were blue up through most of the 80s. Crate/rebuilt Chevy engines came orange to show they're not original to the vehicle.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Sorry for the lack of posts. I'm running into the biggest obstacles of all. Lack of funds. The pistons and rods are at the machine shop where new wrist pins and pistons will be mated to my old rods. I'm just about wrapped up cleaning everything else so it should be a fast reassembly once I get those back. Unfortunately my phone developed a software issue so I had to factory reset it, effectively losing all of my photos I had taken except the ones that are up here. This will prove to be a hurdle now when I attempt to match up the wiring harness parts now. I have several parts lines up on Craigslist do from here on out it should be slow but steady all the way through.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Yes, original engines to Chevy vehicles were blue up through most of the 80s. Crate/rebuilt Chevy engines came orange to show they're not original to the vehicle.
Good to know. I don't know why but everytime I see that Chevy orange under the hood I think shitty swap. Plus the Jeep is getting a fresh paint job during this to blue so it'll match up better.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Whelp I finally got my pistons back from the shop and did seven of them. The middle ring broke on application for one of them. IMG_20171003_201010.jpg Time to go to Napa in the morning to order a new one assuming I can get an individual one. However I did get 7 done and got the head torqued down on the side I got 4 on. IMG_20171003_200959.jpg IMG_20171003_200952.jpg IMG_20171003_201021.jpg . Shout out to the shop that did the work. They seated the stem seals really well which should make it painless for me to adjust valve lash.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Got the new piston ring set. Reringed and installed all pistons and got then all torqued, then I installed the valley cover with the pickup tube. Pickup tube feeds to the new oil pump and the new O-Ring. Tomorrow I go get a new oil pan bolt because I broke one, get that installed, install both heads, paint the block, adjust my valves and wrap her back up.

Attachments

• IMG_20171005_211237.jpg
    IMG_20171005_211237.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_20171005_211242.jpg
    IMG_20171005_211242.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 209
Top Bottom