JEEP TECH : How to Install ATX Slab Bead Lock Wheels Video w/ Off Road Evolution

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are bead locks street legal

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

If you mean, are they DOT approved, most are not. But, that doesn't mean a whole lot and it's really unlikely that you would get pulled over or given a ticket just for having them.

How do you guys balance the slabs?

I know some people use airsoft BB's inside the tire :thinking:

BB's and/or Dyanbeads are just snake oil - they don't do squat.

You just take it to a place like Discount Tire and have them balance them. They just use tape on weights and really, they are way better for off road use anyway. :yup:

MTG

Caught the Bug
How do you guys balance the slabs?

I know some people use airsoft BB's inside the tire :thinking:

I didn't. I put mine on and have zero wobbles or vibrations (maybe a slight wobble at 80+ :)). When I get them rotated next at Discount Tire I may have them balance them then and see if any weight is needed.

MTG

Caught the Bug
8 minutes each x 5 tires =40 minutes labor;) When I pick these up today I'm going to have re-negotiate the labor charge LOL! Great to see everything that is involved in doing it the right way with safety procedures added. With my luck these days I'd blow a ring through the wall into my living room.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

LOL! It took me at least an hour on each one. I'll be paying someone to do it if I ever have to do a full set again. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't. I put mine on and have zero wobbles or vibrations (maybe a slight wobble at 80+ :)). When I get them rotated next at Discount Tire I may have them balance them then and see if any weight is needed.

Nitto really does a great job of making round tires :yup:

LOL! It took me at least an hour on each one. I'll be paying someone to do it if I ever have to do a full set again. :thumb:

:cheesy: Sometimes, it's not a matter of whether you can do it yourself, it's, do you want to do it yourself when you could pay someone else to do it :crazyeyes: :D

Holeshot

Banned
They just use tape on weights and really, they are way better for off road use anyway. :yup:

ho well, I was about to ask about the tape-on weights, but I thought it would be better not to have taped weights inside the rim for offroad use.

I balance wheels this way almost every day. Our balance machine can take up to 44" tires :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
ho well, I was about to ask about the tape-on weights, but I thought it would be better not to have taped weights inside the rim for offroad use.

I balance wheels this way almost every day. Our balance machine can take up to 44" tires :thumb:

44"? Impressive. Not sure why you wouldn't want to use tape on weights for off roading though. It's the only thing we use and they work great. :yup:

bo9roadking

Nice video. I wish my local chain tire store would balance my ATX Slabs. Neither Discount Tire nor NTB would touch them. Fortunately, my 37" Toyo's run fine with no balancing until about 75 mph. I can tolerate the vibration up to about 80 mph, but there are only a few highways in Texas that have an 80-85 mph speed limit. After I get some tire wear, I'm guessing that I'll need to find a local tire guy or a truck stop to get my tires/wheels balanced. The odd thing is that Discount Tire sells the ATX Slabs, but they won't mount or balance a tire on them.

Holeshot

Banned
44"? Impressive. Not sure why you wouldn't want to use tape on weights for off roading though. It's the only thing we use and they work great. :yup:

I just thought to myself that, when wheeling in mud and nasty terrain, they would be subject to come off easily if branches and such gets it the wheel.

But after reflection, they are a pita to remove when we rebalance, so I guess they could handle branches :D

StrizzyChris

you guys make crap videos! ;)

Nicely done :clap2: Looking forward to more tech videos and this will come in handy..........when i finally am set with my 1-tons. My poor 8lug slabs just sitting in my garage :grayno:

JeepFan

Hooked
Excellent stuff guys! Love these type of videos. This video confirms that I did it right. Although, I couldn't find any info on Toyo's site if the Opencountry M/T's have an inside and outside sidewall design for the wheel. Both sides look the same to me. :) :beer::beer:

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
Perfect timing for me as always. :cheesy:

I could have saved myself some time by using an air ratchet and not going in a star pattern when torquing them down. :doh:

Good to know I should let the air out while rechecking the torque. :thumb:

Thanks for making this video and posting it up.

Heck MTG... you've got all the time in the world. What else would you be doing, tapping on the keyboard.

ttfhell

Yup they charged me more than 40 minutes labor to put them on;)
Time to scratch them up....
Those rings are freakin thick. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1366851083.320358.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1366851134.399026.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice video. I wish my local chain tire store would balance my ATX Slabs. Neither Discount Tire nor NTB would touch them.

Really?? Man, my local Discount Tire will road force balance a set of 40x15.50's on bead locks. Maybe different stores have different policies about how to handle things. :idontknow:

Excellent stuff guys! Love these type of videos. This video confirms that I did it right. Although, I couldn't find any info on Toyo's site if the Opencountry M/T's have an inside and outside sidewall design for the wheel. Both sides look the same to me. :) :beer::beer:

Toyos are the same on both sides so you are good to go :yup:

Those rings are freakin thick.

Damn, those look great!! :thumb:

ttfhell

Really?? Man, my local Discount Tire will road force balance a set of 40x15.50's on bead locks. Maybe different stores have different policies about how to handle things. :idontknow:

Toyos are the same on both sides so you are good to go :yup:

Damn, those look great!! :thumb:

Thanks. Probably going to have to ditch the TF carrier now. With the Slab BS don't think I'll be getting them to butt up close. Live and learn.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Those rings are freakin thick. View attachment 26550 View attachment 26551

Those do look great! :thumb:

I was really tempted to do the same, but decided I didn't want to bother with having to touch them up (read: I'm too lazy).

On a side note, I really like the black leather seats too. That wasn't an option when I ordered. :grayno:

Edit: I know what they charged and you made the right choice. LOL!

Top Bottom