VIDEO - JL JOURNAL : Which Would You Want - JL Wrangler Axle Tubes vs Dynatrac PR44

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Let's face it, when it comes to the strength of an axle housing, size matters! There really are no two ways about it and it is the reason why Dana finally decided to up-size the tube diameter on the front axles they make for the all new Jeep JL Wrangler. However, how much of an improvement did they actually make? Was it really enough to make a difference especially with them being wider and how does it stack up against a Dynatrac ProRock 44? In this episode of JL JOURNAL, you'll get a close up look at axle tube sizes and their wall thickness and you can decide for yourself - which would you want?

This is the first in a series of JL JOURNAL's that we've made to help educate people about JL Wrangler axles and why you might want to consider a Dynatrac ProRock 44. We hope that you'll find them to be informative. Please check back soon for our next installment.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

:cool:

jesse3638

Hooked
Awesome video. It's great how Jim can explain things so us regular people can understand...haha. That new tube is huge. I'm curious as to what the PR60 or even 80 for the JL is going to look like. Hopefully its in the cards but I'm hoping for a PR44 under the JK in the coming months. Another great video thanks for sharing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome video. It's great how Jim can explain things so us regular people can understand...haha. That new tube is huge. I'm curious as to what the PR60 or even 80 for the JL is going to look like. Hopefully its in the cards but I'm hoping for a PR44 under the JK in the coming months. Another great video thanks for sharing.

Well, the PR60 used what you see in this video - what the PR44JL will come with. The XD60 comes with 3.75" diameter tubes that have a 5/16" wall. The PR80 has a 4" diameter tube with .25" wall chromoly tubes.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
That video perfectly explains the difference. Also, based on your comments about the width of the JLR axle versus the JLS axle, am I correct that the latter should be stronger? (Given the fact that a narrow length tube that is the same diameter as a wider tube should be stronger and have less stress.)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That video perfectly explains the difference. Also, based on your comments about the width of the JLR axle versus the JLS axle, am I correct that the latter should be stronger? (Given the fact that a narrow length tube that is the same diameter as a wider tube should be stronger and have less stress.)

LOL - someone is really paying close attention. YES, the Sport and Sahara axle would technically be stronger than a Rubicon if only because it's made with the same tube but narrower. They would have less leverage on them. :yup:

With the added tube strength would you guys feel okay about running 40’s on the PR44JL providing you were also running a good chromoly shaft as well? Or would 37’s still be the max you’d run on it?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With the added tube strength would you guys feel okay about running 40’s on the PR44JL providing you were also running a good chromoly shaft as well? Or would 37’s still be the max you’d run on it?

So, there's little question that the housing could handle a 40 but the internals is where you'd see a failure. Even if you were running the strongest shafts you could get, you'd most likely want to run 5.38 gears to push them along and the pinion at that ratio and on a 44 is on the small side.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is what I feel like, watching all of these developments.
View attachment 321966

:cheesy:

It says it all [emoji41][emoji41]

I would say so :yup:

Great video and did I hear that right? The Dana 30 is actually stronger than the Dana 44? Wow!

Well, the housing should be being that it's made with the same tubes only narrower. That would put less leverage on them. However, the ring and pinion and shafts will be stronger in the 44 or M210.

Yup, that about says it all, That PR is an great axle!

Great video as always!

Thank you :)

So, there's little question that the housing could handle a 40 but the internals is where you'd see a failure. Even if you were running the strongest shafts you could get, you'd most likely want to run 5.38 gears to push them along and the pinion at that ratio and on a 44 is on the small side.

Makes total sense. I feel like a lot of folks would likely assume that just because the housing is bigger then it would be fine, without realizing what you mentioned regarding the internals, and too be honest I would have too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Makes total sense. I feel like a lot of folks would likely assume that just because the housing is bigger then it would be fine, without realizing what you mentioned regarding the internals, and too be honest I would have too.

Oh yeah, this is why you'll hear guys go on and on about how they run 40's with a sleeved axle and/or trussed and with gussets installed. If half these guys played as hard as they imagine, they'd know what ultimately is the weak link. I only know because I've been there and done that.

With that said, I was specific to say that it'd be a real problem with 5.38's... I might be willing to give it another try with 5.13 :crazyeyes:

TrailHunter

Hooked
So if the JL tube is a bit larger.. but longer... then the JL tube is almost equal in strength to the JK... But add the FAD and now the JL Rubicon Axle is weaker than the JK Rubicon axle... ? No?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
LOL - someone is really paying close attention. YES, the Sport and Sahara axle would technically be stronger than a Rubicon if only because it's made with the same tube but narrower. They would have less leverage on them. :yup:

Ha! Well, I actually watch Jeep videos to really learn something...which is why your videos are in a different league than the “look at my girlfriend’s ass while she bends over to install an unnecessary blinker fluid catch reservoir” crap that’s out there.

Top Bottom