2012 JKU Sport - Drive Shaft Vibration, Need Advice

Meety Peety

Hey guys.. A while back my front driveshaft's CV joint exploded. During the commotion, the drive shaft picked up about a 1" long dent in it (Maybe 1/4" deep at most). Unfortunately, I didn't notice the dent until I had already purchased the CV repair kit so I decided to just go ahead and install it and see if it would be ok. Right away it started vibrating whenever the Jeep reaches about 72MPH and maybe it's me being paranoid, but lately I feel like the vibration is beginning sooner, maybe around 62-65 MPH. Anyway, I never expected to drive on it this long but with a slew of unexpected expenses, I just haven't had the money for a new drive shaft so I've just been driving like a grandma and avoiding driving at speeds that trigger the vibration.

I am wondering if this is something that a drive line shop could rebalance or whether I would just be better off buying a new driveshaft as originally planned? Since money is tight right now, would I be better off just pulling the driveshaft entirely out for the time being until I can properly address the problem? Any ill effects from driving semi-long term (1-3 months) with nothing connected to the T-case?

Also, if anyone has a recommendation on a replacement front drive shaft that won't break the bank that would be much appreciated. I have heard good things about Tom Woods 1310 and planned on buying that when I have the funds.. but open to suggestions.

This is for a 2012 3.6l JKU Sport with 3.5" lift, 4.88 gears and 35's.

Thanks in advance.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Hey guys.. A while back my front driveshaft's CV joint exploded. During the commotion, the drive shaft picked up about a 1" long dent in it (Maybe 1/4" deep at most). Unfortunately, I didn't notice the dent until I had already purchased the CV repair kit so I decided to just go ahead and install it and see if it would be ok. Right away it started vibrating whenever the Jeep reaches about 72MPH and maybe it's me being paranoid, but lately I feel like the vibration is beginning sooner, maybe around 62-65 MPH. Anyway, I never expected to drive on it this long but with a slew of unexpected expenses, I just haven't had the money for a new drive shaft so I've just been driving like a grandma and avoiding driving at speeds that trigger the vibration.

I am wondering if this is something that a drive line shop could rebalance or whether I would just be better off buying a new driveshaft as originally planned? Since money is tight right now, would I be better off just pulling the driveshaft entirely out for the time being until I can properly address the problem? Any ill effects from driving semi-long term (1-3 months) with nothing connected to the T-case?

Also, if anyone has a recommendation on a replacement front drive shaft that won't break the bank that would be much appreciated. I have heard good things about Tom Woods 1310 and planned on buying that when I have the funds.. but open to suggestions.

This is for a 2012 3.6l JKU Sport with 3.5" lift, 4.88 gears and 35's.

Thanks in advance.
I have front take-off you can have. It's off a 2011 JKU 3.8 so not sure if it will work. And I won't be home until mid February.

Meety Peety

I have front take-off you can have. It's off a 2011 JKU 3.8 so not sure if it will work. And I won't be home until mid February.
Hey thanks a lot for the offer, I may have to take you up on that if I can't get this sorted out by then! Much appreciated.

Did you take the whole shaft apart for any reason? If so, did you make sure to reindex it when you put it back together?
That is a very good question.. I had a buddy who is a mechanic help me with this since I don't really know what I'm doing. We did separate the drive shaft to make it easier to handle while rebuilding the CV but I do not remember taking any specific care to make sure it went back together at the exact spot.. then again he may have put a little indexing mark or something on it without me even catching it..? I don't suppose there would be much way for me to climb under it and check it after the fact unless I get lucky and find an indexing mark that happens to be lined up? I'll ask him if he remembers.

Meety Peety

Just an update, I climbed under the Jeep and could not find any markings. Pushed it in neutral a little ways to spin the drive shaft over, but might have missed it. I think I am going to just pull it out tomorrow so I can take a look at it closer.

Any input on driving without the drive shaft in? Googling around it looks like it should be no problem.. but wanted to make sure. Most of the references I've seen are short term or related to TJs

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Just an update, I climbed under the Jeep and could not find any markings. Pushed it in neutral a little ways to spin the drive shaft over, but might have missed it. I think I am going to just pull it out tomorrow so I can take a look at it closer.

Any input on driving without the drive shaft in? Googling around it looks like it should be no problem.. but wanted to make sure. Most of the references I've seen are short term or related to TJs

No issues. Just drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Hey thanks a lot for the offer, I may have to take you up on that if I can't get this sorted out by then! Much appreciated.

That is a very good question.. I had a buddy who is a mechanic help me with this since I don't really know what I'm doing. We did separate the drive shaft to make it easier to handle while rebuilding the CV but I do not remember taking any specific care to make sure it went back together at the exact spot.. then again he may have put a little indexing mark or something on it without me even catching it..? I don't suppose there would be much way for me to climb under it and check it after the fact unless I get lucky and find an indexing mark that happens to be lined up? I'll ask him if he remembers.

No problem, Like I said Mid-Feb just send me a PM if you still need it. And look into if it will work or not. 2011 JKU 3.8 Auto

Top Bottom