So do I piss the wife off or just keep quiet?

BaddestCross

Regardless of brand, all of these are made in China, even the ARB one, and I thinkit may be made by Dometic. I think you're right, the Costway may be the same as the Smittybilt. But like you said, its a third of the price.
Yep. I do think the ARB is made by Dometic. Not positive that they're made in China, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I think it's cool that your wife put in the effort. Mine just asks me when I'm gonna be done spending money on the Jeep. 😂

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Costway 54qt is only $380... with 4.5 stars on Amazon.. I’d kinda like to see your review of it now. [emoji41]

^^^^ I agree with this . Give it go. $900 for an ARB is crazy expensive. I read it's a Smittybilt or the same as. Edit: You already covered this.:doh:

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
gid lights

Really quick update on this fridge.. I've had it for a week now and so far so good. Quality is good and it's been plugged in and working since I got it.
Temp display seems to be a little off tho. Not sure I can adjust it like you can on the ARB. Not a deal breaker at all - so far it's been consistently higher on the
display by 4*, More pics and better review to come. If someone was looking to pull the trigger on one of these right now I 'd say go for it. And thanks to the wife for saving some dough
too. Too bad I spent it on a winch plate and Rigid Lights for the new JL :blush:

fridge.jpg

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Really quick update on this fridge.. I've had it for a week now and so far so good. Quality is good and it's been plugged in and working since I got it.
Temp display seems to be a little off tho. Not sure I can adjust it like you can on the ARB. Not a deal breaker at all - so far it's been consistently higher on the
display by 4*, More pics and better review to come. If someone was looking to pull the trigger on one of these right now I 'd say go for it. And thanks to the wife for saving some dough
too. Too bad I spent it on a winch plate and Rigid Lights for the new JL :blush:

View attachment 317661

Good to know. Thanks for the update. Seems like money is really never saved;)

TrailHunter

Hooked

Sounds like the wife did good. [emoji1417]

wjtstudios

Hooked

View attachment 317661

Glad it worked out.

Can’t wait to see the JL trail ready!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Sounds like the wife did good. [emoji1417]

She sure did! So far so good. I want to monitor it over the weekend and then put it in my Durango to tote it around for a couple weeks. I did use it once to put fish in it coming from the grocery store and it was great not having to worry about getting home right away!

Glad it worked out. Can’t wait to see the JL trail ready!

Thanks and me too! My buddy isn't answering my texts anymore because I keep asking when it's coming in. :mad:

Ddays

Hooked
Good information your other gauge could be off to and the frigid could be correct. Is that the lowest setting

Nope, it goes lower. Honestly don't know what the lowest setting is. I'll mess around with it over the weekend some more....

I’m in the same boat with the Ram. It’s 4 weeks overdue from Mexico. I gave up bugging my guy mid December, at that point it was going to go onto 19’ tax year anyway.

Yeah, same here. Could have used that tho...

fiend

Caught the Bug

View attachment 317661

I wouldn’t put much stock into the temp display. It’s probably like a broken watch: right at least twice a day.

I put a recording thermometer in my ARB for 24 hours. These little fridges are either on or off. There’s no middle ground. The temp plotted as almost a perfect sine wave. Cool down, heat up, cool down, heat up , repeat.

As long as the beer stays cold, it’s working. [emoji16]

WJCO

Meme King
I set mine at a specific temperature when I first got it and left it for 2 days and then checked for ice in the water. Then I kept lowering it 2 degrees and left it for another 2 days. I just kept doing that until I saw ice in the water. Then I moved it back up 2 degrees. I think mine is set on 27F and has been that way for months with no ice on anything and everything stays cold.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I wouldn’t put much stock into the temp display. It’s probably like a broken watch: right at least twice a day.

I put a recording thermometer in my ARB for 24 hours. These little fridges are either on or off. There’s no middle ground. The temp plotted as almost a perfect sine wave. Cool down, heat up, cool down, heat up , repeat.

As long as the beer stays cold, it’s working. [emoji16]

Beer is actually how I found the setting I wanted, on my ARB. I filled it up with water bottles, and a few brews. I tinkered with it, until some of the water would just start to freeze, then bumped it up a degree or two.

I set mine at a specific temperature when I first got it and left it for 2 days and then checked for ice in the water. Then I kept lowering it 2 degrees and left it for another 2 days. I just kept doing that until I saw ice in the water. Then I moved it back up 2 degrees. I think mine is set on 27F and has been that way for months with no ice on anything and everything stays cold.

Same here.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the update on the fridge and, as others have said, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the temp display other than to know where you want it at to give you what you need. My ARB's are old and can't be adjusted and they've never been right.

Ddays

Hooked
5 month update

I think I'm to the point that unless something drastic happens, I'd recommend that this Costway fridge be on anyone's list that is looking for one of these. It's been running constantly for 5-1/2 months now on both AC and DC without a hitch.
Had it in the house for Mothers Day last weekend and it did great as a party fridge. WIfe did great on this one. :thumb:

fridge.jpg

jesse3638

Hooked
I think I'm to the point that unless something drastic happens, I'd recommend that this Costway fridge be on anyone's list that is looking for one of these. It's been running constantly for 5-1/2 months now on both AC and DC without a hitch.
Had it in the house for Mothers Day last weekend and it did great as a party fridge. WIfe did great on this one. :thumb:

View attachment 327074

Thanks for the update. It's hard to justify the cost of an ARB with the lack of use I think it'd get from us, but this may be a nice more affordable alternative over an ice chest.

Ddays

Hooked
Thats awesome! Thanks for the update.

:thumb:

Thanks for the update. It's hard to justify the cost of an ARB with the lack of use I think it'd get from us, but this may be a nice more affordable alternative over an ice chest.

When you throw in the convenience of using this when you go grocery shopping, it's really not too hard to justify. I've even used it as an overflow fridge when we are having people over and need space to store prepared dishes and whatnot.

Top Bottom