Gladiator Tow Thread

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Am I reading this wrong? The trailer you want weighs more than 7K. The Jeep is rated for 6 grand and change.

I'm reading it the same way.

I went back and looked. And that's what I read also

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lol reading is fun. 🤪

Not a single one of those trailers fits the bill for towing. All over weight and that’s probably empty too. Add another 1000 pounds for shit inside and water. Way over weight.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Lol reading is fun. 🤪

Not a single one of those trailers fits the bill for towing. All over weight and that’s probably empty too. Add another 1000 pounds for shit inside and water. Way over weight.

I'm not gonna lie, I've been finding the marketing by FCA regarding Jeeps to be pretty misleading at best to down right wrong lately. I don't know what the hell they're thinking but if they aren't careful, it's gonna bite them in the ass.

VerdiJeepLife

Sport S

I just bought a JT Sport S for my son on Memorial Day. It has tow package and soft top. Out The Door was 42k. So far he has driven it to visit the Grand Parents in Santa Barbara, CA and he seems to love it. I think he put 1000 miles on it the first week. If your focus is towing though, why not go with a larger truck which you can get in that same price range? For example, I've seen Car Dealers who still have 2018 NEW RAM 2500 on their lots and they are seriously willing to deal. When my daughters were younger, I was towing a 4 horse goose neck trailer every weekend using a RAM 2500 Long Bed and that thing towed like a dream. 4 horses with gear and tack can be a tricky haul since the horses can move a little. Hope you find the right ride for you.

jeffd

the airstream 23 FB weighs 4800lbs empty and it's GVWR is 6200lbs so basically the trailer can be loaded with 1400lbs of supplies including the 48 gallons of freshwater (including hot water tank capacity). so say around 1000lbs of junk can be carried inside the trailer. That actually is a lot of stuff and should be pretty easy to carry much less. on page 367 of the JT's owners manual says the gross combined wt rating (trailer and vehicle) is 12800lbs for the sport and 765lb tong weight. i would say the 23FB would be well with in limits.

Dale72

Hooked
the airstream 23 FB weighs 4800lbs empty and it's GVWR is 6200lbs so basically the trailer can be loaded with 1400lbs of supplies including the 48 gallons of freshwater (including hot water tank capacity). so say around 1000lbs of junk can be carried inside the trailer. That actually is a lot of stuff and should be pretty easy to carry much less. on page 367 of the JT's owners manual says the gross combined wt rating (trailer and vehicle) is 12800lbs for the sport and 765lb tong weight. i would say the 23FB would be well with in limits.
Yeah but go back to the OP he was looking to get a 27 foot airstream

Dale72

Hooked
oh yes those are bad ass but $$$. I was thinking of the ones in the price range of the airstreams. the freightliner stuff is uber cool no doubt.
Well most class c's have a gas engine but you can get a one with a diesel engine and you will be able to tow more

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Wow, a lot of responses regarding my plans and I’m glad for it because like I mentioned, I’m not an expert.

Thanks to jeffd for posting up the capacity published in the owners manual. I down loaded it and found the following:

IMG_9567.JPG

Sport S with Max Tow has a combined GVWR of 12,800lbs. Subtract the Gladiator GVWR of 6,250 and that leaves 6,550 for towing if the truck is loaded to the maximum weight. It’s misleading that Jeep advertises 7,650lbs, but it would be possible under the right circumstances (ie nothing else in the truck).

Unfortunately both the 27’ and 25’ trailers would be too close to or maybe even over the combined GVWR when loaded. If we decide to go this route then a bigger truck is the prudent thing to do although less fun!

At this point I’m still considering the 23’ and more specifically the Globetrotter 23FB Twin. This trailer has a dry weight of 5,300 (with 60lbs propane and batteries, no water) and a max weight (GVWR) of 6,300. Obviously, the black and gray tanks would be empty or mostly empty while traveling, but I would have some fresh water on board up to a couple hundred pounds to possibly the maximum of 39 gallons or 325lbs albeit unlikely.

Again, thanks for all the responses as they have given me even more to consider!

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I'd have to look at ours again but I think we were at 39,900 (3% under invoice) not including tax. Sport S with max tow, cold weather group, and aux switches. I don't think we added anything else.

IMG_9558.JPG

Gladiator Sport $33,545
“S” Option $3,200
Side Steps $650
Freedom Top $1,195
Tonneau Cover $495
Spray in Bedliner $495
Sirius XM $295 (packaged)
Alpine Speakers $1,295
Slush Mats $165
7” Radio $995
Max Tow $995
Convenience Group $395 (packaged)
Cold Weather Group $995
Active Safety Group $995
Aux Switches $295
Trail Rail System $895
Automatic Transmission $2,000

Total = 50,145 or so

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
View attachment 334317

Gladiator Sport $33,545
“S” Option $3,200
Side Steps $650
Freedom Top $1,195
Tonneau Cover $495
Spray in Bedliner $495
Sirius XM $295 (packaged)
Alpine Speakers $1,295
Slush Mats $165
7” Radio $995
Max Tow $995
Convenience Group $395 (packaged)
Cold Weather Group $995
Active Safety Group $995
Aux Switches $295
Trail Rail System $895
Automatic Transmission $2,000

Total = 50,145 or so

Tonneau cover is garbage. Spray in bed liner is garbage. 8.4” monitor is almost a must.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom