MOAB March 30-April 6 2019

Andy5160

Hooked
So about six months ago I decided to return to Moab in 2019 to hit some of the classics I didn’t get to in 2018. I hoped to get a group together to enjoy the trip.

A few guys (Astroman (Jim), Ruvicon (Vic)) that I ran the Rubicon with last year planned to go, as well as Clearskies (Don), but things came up for them so they had to back out, unfortunately.

But Buster3479 (Phil), another fellow on our Rubicon trip, made it out all the way from Maryland with his wife (Christie). We were joined by Slimebones (Doug) and his wife Anita from Colorado, Glenn and his wife Pam (from Washington), and JDofmemi (Jerry) and his kids (from So Cal).

Trail selection was TBD. Here’s what we ended up with:

Sunday: Moab Rim and Fins and Things

Monday: Cliffhanger

Tuesday: Steelbender

Wednesday: off day (let the kids drive up and over Hurrah Pass and around Jackson Hole)

Thursday: Poison Spider Mesa / Gold Bar Rim / Where Eagles Dare / Golden Spike

Friday: Elephant Hill (me, Phil and Christie, Glenn and Pam)

We were all in JKUs except Doug, who piloted his Black two door with manual transmission. Not only did he excel at conquering virtually every obstacle we encountered, but he turned 70 along the way! Awesome![emoji1306][emoji1306]

Glenn and Pam (Silver JKU) had never been to Moab, had the least built up rig, and maybe had the least experience of the group. But it was obvious from the start that Glenn was “all in” behind the wheel and he really impressed us all with his willingness to try everything, killing it along the way. Not only that, but he and Pam kept us fed with fantastic cuisine from their native Louisiana. I’ve never eaten so well on a wheeling trip. 🤤

Phil and Christie (Red JKU) are experienced wheelers, not only in Moab and Rubicon, but also the best sites out East. They trailered their rig all the way from Maryland to join our group. Phil graciously ran tailgunner for most of the trip, which gave me peace of mind that our little group would stay together and out of trouble. Terrific folks that hopefully I’ll see on another trip soon. [emoji847]

Jerry (White JKU) is not only an experienced wheeler who I’ve run with before in So Cal, but he’s also a character and crack mechanic. When Glenn’s rear diff cover developed a leak somewhere on Moab Rim, Jerry was all over repairs before the rest of us could even get our tools out. Later he had us all in stitches with various stories, including one involving an airborne tire and three wheeled Chevy. [emoji23]🤣

I’m happy to say the trip was better than I could have imagined. Moab really is not just a wheeling Mecca, but a place that brings strangers together and bonds them as friends. I’m already looking forward to Moab 2020! 🤟🏻🤟🏻

https://youtu.be/m2NnT7vkybs

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nice sound track [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

So about six months ago I decided to return to Moab in 2019 to hit some of the classics I didn’t get to in 2018. I hoped to get a group together to enjoy the trip.

A few guys (Astroman (Jim), Ruvicon (Vic)) that I ran the Rubicon with last year planned to go, as well as Clearskies (Don), but things came up for them so they had to back out, unfortunately.

But Buster3479 (Phil), another fellow on our Rubicon trip, made it out all the way from Maryland with his wife (Christie). We were joined by Slimebones (Doug) and his wife Anita from Colorado, Glenn and his wife Pam (from Washington), and JDofmemi (Jerry) and his kids (from So Cal).

Trail selection was TBD. Here’s what we ended up with:

Sunday: Moab Rim and Fins and Things

Monday: Cliffhanger

Tuesday: Steelbender

Wednesday: off day (let the kids drive up and over Hurrah Pass and around Jackson Hole)

Thursday: Poison Spider Mesa / Gold Bar Rim / Where Eagles Dare / Golden Spike

Friday: Elephant Hill (me, Phil and Christie, Glenn and Pam)

We were all in JKUs except Doug, who piloted his Black two door with manual transmission. Not only did he excel at conquering virtually every obstacle we encountered, but he turned 70 along the way! Awesome![emoji1306][emoji1306]

Glenn and Pam (Silver JKU) had never been to Moab, had the least built up rig, and maybe had the least experience of the group. But it was obvious from the start that Glenn was “all in” behind the wheel and he really impressed us all with his willingness to try everything, killing it along the way. Not only that, but he and Pam kept us fed with fantastic cuisine from their native Louisiana. I’ve never eaten so well on a wheeling trip. 🤤

Phil and Christie (Red JKU) are experienced wheelers, not only in Moab and Rubicon, but also the best sites out East. They trailered their rig all the way from Maryland to join our group. Phil graciously ran tailgunner for most of the trip, which gave me peace of mind that our little group would stay together and out of trouble. Terrific folks that hopefully I’ll see on another trip soon. [emoji847]

Jerry (White JKU) is not only an experienced wheeler who I’ve run with before in So Cal, but he’s also a character and crack mechanic. When Glenn’s rear diff cover developed a leak somewhere on Moab Rim, Jerry was all over repairs before the rest of us could even get our tools out. Later he had us all in stitches with various stories, including one involving an airborne tire and three wheeled Chevy. [emoji23]🤣

I’m happy to say the trip was better than I could have imagined. Moab really is not just a wheeling Mecca, but a place that brings strangers together and bonds them as friends. I’m already looking forward to Moab 2020! 🤟🏻🤟🏻

https://youtu.be/m2NnT7vkybs

Greer

That was well done, and the video was great too. Thank you for the effort you put in to make this happen. I was fortunate to be a part of a great trip, my best yet.

I'm looking forward to the next time we get together on the trails.

Ruvicon

I’m already looking forward to Moab 2020! 🤟🏻🤟🏻

Sorry things didn’t work out this year plus my Rub-I-Que fiasco would have stopped me this year. Count me in for Moab 2020

Top Bottom