What problems does your Jeep have this week?

JoyMarie

Been fighting DW for a few weeks now. Replaced the TB last weekend due to the bushings looking a little worn and wanted to upgrade due to going to 35s in the near future. It made the steering a lot better but didn't cure the DW. Jacked up the front tires to check the ball joints(which I already did a couple weeks prior and they looked fine) and noticed a little play in the passenger side upper joint. Went ahead and ordered the Teraflex HD ball joints. They will be installed next week so hoping that will solve my DW issue.

On a happy note, I received my Alien Sunshade this week and installed it. It has been Sunny and 70 here so it has been put to good use.

JKbrick

Been fighting DW for a few weeks now. Replaced the TB last weekend due to the bushings looking a little worn and wanted to upgrade due to going to 35s in the near future. It made the steering a lot better but didn't cure the DW. Jacked up the front tires to check the ball joints(which I already did a couple weeks prior and they looked fine) and noticed a little play in the passenger side upper joint. Went ahead and ordered the Teraflex HD ball joints. They will be installed next week so hoping that will solve my DW issue.

On a happy note, I received my Alien Sunshade this week and installed it. It has been Sunny and 70 here so it has been put to good use.

Are those ball joints knurled? Once you install knurled ball joints you have to stick with the knurled type, just FYI in case you didn’t know

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

They make both knurled and smooth. I just installed a smooth set last weekend. Big improvement over the worn out originals.

No, they are not knurled. I'm replacing the factory joints so I knew I wouldn't need the knurled ones. Thanks for the tip though.

Oh good, a kid down the road had me put knurled ones in his and I tried to talk him out of it but he insisted

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Ok so this is really bothering me and cannot find any definite answer...So I have a 2011 and the airbag light comes on and off, not really any repeated patterns either. There are no codes, and no recalls. I cleaned some of the connections under the seats, nothing really changed. Also disconnected the battery, the light came back. The steering wheel is centered far as I can tell. This all started after replacing brake pads and rotors. Coincidence?

Yes I have read the write up on this.

Sorry for the long explanation, so should I just replace the clockspring at this point? Any other ideas, or am I missing something? Thanks.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Ok so this is really bothering me and cannot find any definite answer...So I have a 2011 and the airbag light comes on and off, not really any repeated patterns either. There are no codes, and no recalls. I cleaned some of the connections under the seats, nothing really changed. Also disconnected the battery, the light came back. The steering wheel is centered far as I can tell. This all started after replacing brake pads and rotors. Coincidence?

Yes I have read the write up on this.

Sorry for the long explanation, so should I just replace the clockspring at this point? Any other ideas, or am I missing something? Thanks.

There is a recall on airbag. I also have 2011. Not sure if it's your problem. But I did receive a recall notice. Also I'm not getting the light you are getting.
https://www.kbb.com/ownership/jeep/wrangler/2011/

Last edited:

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
There is a recall on airbag. I also have 2011. Not sure if it's your problem. But I did receive a recall notice. Also I'm not getting the light you are getting.

Yeah the (2) recalls that were done, were the heated mirrors and passenger air bag. FCA gave me the code and said if that code came up they would replace it again. But no codes so far.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Yeah the (2) recalls that were done, were the heated mirrors and passenger air bag. FCA gave me the code and said if that code came up they would replace it again. But no codes so far.

So you did get the passenger air bag recall fixed? Was wondering how the fit was after. I think I read somewhere people saying there was some sort of bulge on the dash when they were done. Any problems for yours ?

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
So you did get the passenger air bag recall fixed? Was wondering how the fit was after. I think I read somewhere people saying there was some sort of bulge on the dash when they were done. Any problems for yours ?

Yeah both have been fixed but I haven't noticed anything out of place or deformation on the dash. So no problems other than the latter (airbag light).

littlebeas

Weird brake issues. Front passenger caliper froze up, so I replaced that. After the road test I took a temp gun to the rotors and the driver rear was significantly cooler than the rest, maybe that caliper is bad too?

I just did ball joints on my 17 JKU. The factory ones were shot after 40,000 miles. The previous owner must have aimed for every pothole. It was quite an interesting experience. The ABS sensor was rusted into the driver side hub and one of the hub bolts took out all the threads. Everything went back together smooth after that and the Jeep drives normal.

Up next is fixing the wonderful radiator leak that so many talk about.

I also replaced some of the factory stickers on the Jeep.

A.J.

I just installed a ultimate Dana 44 with the e-locker in the front and I have diff fluid coming out of the vent tube. Possible overfill???

Most likely yes. I can't recall how the diff cove looks on those. How high is the fill plug? It seems like I remember them having a smaller check hole below the fill plug?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

98XJ06LJ

The PSC PK1852 high volume pump on my XJ decided to evacuate the fluid while driving down the highway yesterday. The shaft seal failed, causing all the fluid to spray against the back of the drive pulley. Needless to say that the entire engine compartment and the underside of the Jeep is now covered with oil.

Good thing is that I smelled oil burning and pulled over before it completely drained the system. Bad thing is that you can't just walk in to the local auto parts and grab some SWEPCO 715 power steering fluid.
PSC is sending a new pump and there was no major problems caused by the failure but if this had happened out on a run there is no way I would have been able to get back to pavement. This was no slow drip. Anyone running hydro assist might want to make sure you have extra fluid and a way to bypass the pump. That seal went and it emptied the reservoir quick. Not to mention the fire risk of covering a hot engine and header with oil.
Anyway, just a heads up.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom