Recent Shooting and Discussion

JAGS

Hooked
No, it doesn’t...and I’ve researched all of these issues enough to know that about 8 teenagers die per day in car crashes and about 11 die per day from alcohol. For comparison, in all of 2017 about 35 kids were killed by firearms in middle and high school shootings. Without a doubt, the drive to and from school is statistically the most dangerous part of my kids’ school day.

I don’t sit around and worry. I talk to my kids about what is going on in their lives, about their friends, about their sports and, unfortunately, also about how to run, hide, or fight like hell depending on the situation.

I also pay close attention to Legislation in my state and to what my kids’ schools are doing proactively, and reactively, when legitimate threats occur.

And on days like today, when I get barraged with texts from other parents asking if I think it’s safe to send my kids to school tomorrow, I typically respond with much of the same things I have said in this thread. The bottom line is that life isn’t “safe” and it never will be.

None of that, however, means that I accept that we can’t, or shouldn’t, try to do better by our youth than we are presently doing.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I deleted a post before posting about as detailed. I’ll just say ditto.

I can’t/won’t live my life in fear of what could happen. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t cross my mind nearly everyday.

The difference I see between car accidents and others you mentioned is the personal trauma and fear of murder. I don’t get in my car and think someone is going to purposely hit me to kill me on the street today. The gun violence we see is straight murder in an otherwise safe environment. Schools. Synagogs. Etc. It traumatizes many more than those who lose life.

And some of the murders could certainly be limited. Not just those in schools, etc. but many gun murders.

Brute

Hooked
Jesus.

Just realized for probably the tenth time I typed and deleted a few hundred word post. Just can’t do it. I fucking hate this shit....

I know how you feel...it’s almost like an excercise in futility...but only almost. Senseless death is exactly that...senseless

JAGS

Hooked
I know how you feel...it’s almost like an excercise in futility...but only almost. Senseless death is exactly that...senseless

Only almost. It’s really only senseless if you allow it happen unchecked.

If it provides any glimmer of hope. There are far more kids with brains on their shoulders that don’t understand why adults aren’t doing something about this. They will have their time and they will absolutely remember that “we” didn’t do anything to help them.

jesse3638

Hooked
Parents? What are those? Clearly you mean the drop off at baseball practice, staring into a phone during dance recital, lack of direction and example setting adults?
Parents. Those are long gone my friend. We are left with only a few.

That shit gets me so F'n Angry....
These are the same parents who hand their kids a phone or tablet while grocery shopping or while at the other kids extracurricular. Then are so busy in their phone they don't realize that while their kid is mindlessly wasting away the volume is turned up so loud. I can't stand seeing this. I'd take my daughter shopping when she was real little and we'd talk about what we needed, price differences, let her pick something out.

In my defense I only drop my son off at practice if I have to go back to work or have to take another kid somewhere....haha. Last Friday I sat through over 2 hours of cheer tryouts. Same song, same routine over 30 times.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Last Friday I sat through over 2 hours of cheer tryouts. Same song, same routine over 30 times.

LOL, this you helping out in the background?

This thread is an agonizing one. I've also started several posts and then deleted them. The whole situation is just so frustrating and hard to fathom because of such a blatant disregard of life. I don't have any answers other than trying my best to raise my kids to be responsible, aware, vigilant citizens.

jesse3638

Hooked
LOL, this you helping out in the background?

This thread is an agonizing one. I've also started several posts and then deleted them. The whole situation is just so frustrating and hard to fathom because of such a blatant disregard of life. I don't have any answers other than trying my best to raise my kids to be responsible, aware, vigilant citizens.

Haha it's funny you post that. I remember watching that on America's Funniest Home videos many years ago and thought of that. I listened to the first 60 seconds of The Romantics-What I Like About You for 2 hours

https://youtu.be/Rqnw5IfbZOU

Yes the disregard for human life is crazy. It's rampant everywhere and seems to be today's solution to everything. Locally last week there was an argument over 2 dogs. 2 individuals involved decided to shoot the owner. The shooters were 19 and 21 years old. About 2 months before they I read an article where there was a dispute between 2 sisters over money. One pulls a gun and shoots the other. Seriously over money and dogs people are willing to kill, even family.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Gbint

School shootings are so common place now it’s no longer front page. News announcers 10 minutes into the show are like” and oh ya, another 6 dead today, stay tuned for the weather after this commercial break.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
Also heard the 16 year old shooter has a vagina but goes by “he”.

Is that a joke or are you serious? One of the shooters was female.

That’s f’d up.

That’s true...he/she was a classmate of my niece. The boy that was killed was one of several that rushed one of the shooters that allowed the rest in the class to escape...he was a true fucking hero

Top Bottom