Help P0733 code

To start off I have a 2013 JKUR with 37s. So about a week ago I decided switch the gear ratio to 4:10 on the programmer so it would be correct for the rubicon axle ratio and it felt like it was not shifting at the right points. After I did this, I felt a loss of power and/ or a loss of maybe 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear. After driving about 5 miles I got a check engine light so I flashed the code and got P0733 and know that it is an error in the 3rd gear. I quickly pulled over and changed the gear ratio back to 3:73 and cleared the DTCs and it ran fine. After a week of spring break and no driving, I came home and drove about 1 mile and the check engine light came in with the same code and is now doing the same thing. What do I diagnose this as/ has anyone else had this problem before? Also am I good to drive it for now or should I park it until it's fixed?

Any and all comments are welcomed, I'm freaking out because the engine and tranny only have 54,000 miles on them.

jkrichard

You don't change gear ratios with a programmer.

Leave it where it's supposed to be (at the gear ratio it is). Your motor and tranny talk and when shit doesn't make sense they have a shit.

A decent programmer will allow you to modify shift points.

Again, your programmer does not have the ability to regear your jeep, so unless you regear your jeep dint change the programmed gear ratio.

You don't change gear ratios with a programmer.

Leave it where it's supposed to be (at the gear ratio it is). Your motor and tranny talk and when shit doesn't make sense they have a shit.

A decent programmer will allow you to modify shift points.

Again, your programmer does not have the ability to regear your jeep, so unless you regear your jeep dint change the programmed gear ratio.

Yes.. I know that just because you change your gear ratio on the programmer, it doesn't actually change the gears. It does change the shift points though. I changed it because the programmer came set saying I had 3.73's, I have a rubicon so I figured I would have the 4.10's.. that is why I changed it on the programmer to 4.10.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Not all Rubicons came with 4.10 gears. depending on what programmer you have it probably gathered your stock information when you initially plugged it in. You could always call the dealer with your vin to verify.

jkrichard

Set it where it's supposed to be, clear the code and see what happens. In all likelihood it just thew the code because your engine speed, tranny speed and wheel speed were far enough out from what it thought it was supposed to be that it got upset.

Look through your programmer to see of it has a proper shift point changing feature. That big of a tire with your gearing is going to be hard work for your jeep, especially with an auto.

A regear is in your future.

Set it where it's supposed to be, clear the code and see what happens. In all likelihood it just thew the code because your engine speed, tranny speed and wheel speed were far enough out from what it thought it was supposed to be that it got upset.

Look through your programmer to see of it has a proper shift point changing feature. That big of a tire with your gearing is going to be hard work for your jeep, especially with an auto.

A regear is in your future.

I put it back to 3.73 then cleared the codes and it was fine until I shut my jeep off to gas up and then when I turned it back on and drove about 100 yards, the light came back on. And yes I have 5.13's sitting in my garage right now but am waiting until this summer to get the jeep into a shop.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Being that it is a 2013 JKUR I assumed it had 4.10s but when I programmed it to 4.10 it started to throw the check engine light and that code.

Sorry, let me try that again. Do you not KNOW what gears are in your Jeep?

Seriously, did you just buy it off the lot (or maybe used from somebody) without looking at the sticker and VIN to see what gears you were getting?

What about the other options? Did you just assume it had heated leather seats and two tops? I just don't get how you would assume how the vehicle was equipped without actually checking.

Kalums

Being that it is a 2013 JKUR I assumed it had 4.10s but when I programmed it to 4.10 it started to throw the check engine light and that code.

Do you know for a fact that the gears in the axle have or have not been changed? If they have not depending on year and actual axle the gear ratio will be stamped into a tag attached to the bolts on your diff cover. If you know with 100 percent knowledge the gears have been changed then... I'm not sure how to check the ratio other than popping the cover and counting teeth. Didn't you say you installed Rubi axles? If so I'm assuming you installed them on a sport so your VIN would not help either... Not trying to be rude but GL. My personal motto is if it's not broke don't futs with it. Also you could try to put every thing back to stock, turn it on. Make sure the jeep runs. Turn the jeep off and unplug the batt... Update your programmer (Make sure it's updated!! Even if you did last week, they come out with updates all the time) then reattach your batt see if the light comes on after driving for awhile. If it does a dealership visit may be instore for you to reflash. If not the restore whatever other programming you installed and leave the gear ratio alone.... Just my 0.02

Sent from my LG-LS997 using

Edit:sorry just saw that you changed just the gear ratio on the programmer and you have a 13 JKUR. My bad. Those came with 3.73s OR 4.10s depending on a few factors like towing package, trim level etc. WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Jack up the axle and spin the tire by hand. Count how many times the drive shaft spins around. If it spins 4 times, you have 4.10s. If it spins 3.75 times, you have 3.73s.

Sorry, let me try that again. Do you not KNOW what gears are in your Jeep?

Seriously, did you just buy it off the lot (or maybe used from somebody) without looking at the sticker and VIN to see what gears you were getting?

What about the other options? Did you just assume it had heated leather seats and two tops? I just don't get how you would assume how the vehicle was equipped without actually checking.

Look you don't have to be an ass about it. I'm asking a question and looking for an answer, that's it. If you can't handle not putting people down, then please don't comment on my post. Thank you.

Jack up the axle and spin the tire by hand. Count how many times the drive shaft spins around. If it spins 4 times, you have 4.10s. If it spins 3.75 times, you have 3.73s.

Thank you I will try this when I get back home and will also call the dealership where we got the Jeep to see what they have for the vin.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Look you don't have to be an ass about it. I'm asking a question and looking for an answer, that's it. If you can't handle not putting people down, then please don't comment on my post. Thank you.

You don't have to be an ass either. You don't know for sure what gears you have but you assumed what gears you have. You should have verified what gears you have prior to trying to program it. That very well could have been your problem. There's been a few posts now talking about verifying what gears you have and yet you still don't know. So again before you do anything else GO VERIFY WHAT GEARS YOU HAVE. Then as mentioned return your programming back to stock and then start over with the correct info in the programmer.

Also if for some reason you do end up going to the dealer to get your computer reflashed I would take your programmer, return everything back to stock in the dealerships parking lot, let them reflash your computer and then you reprogram it in their parking lot before you leave. Not doing this can and will turn your programmer into a paper weight.

WJCO

Meme King
I don't think Sharkey was being an ass. He was just merely stating that you need to know for 100% sure what you have instead of assuming. It would suck to get a chick's pants down and find out she has a dick.

Alright, Sharkey I'm sorry for calling you an ass, I had just woken up and was cranky. Sometimes I read things in different tones, that's why I prefer to talk on the phone rather than text!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Alright, Sharkey I'm sorry for calling you an ass, I had just woken up and was cranky. Sometimes I read things in different tones, that's why I prefer to talk on the phone rather than text!

No worries. :beer: And I was partially being an ass and partially asking a legitimate question. I just don't get how somebody buys something without knowing exactly how it is equipped, but maybe I'm just anal that way. Can you imagine buying a pistol, taking it home and finding out it is a .380 when you "assumed" it was a .45?!?

Bottom line though, you need to figure out what you have before you start fucking with it.

Top Bottom