2016 SEMA : B&M Jeep JK Wrangler Manual Sport Shifter

Modit

If it had some type a reverse lock-out, I would be very interested. I find the 6th gear & reverse gate to be a very bad design - easy to slip into reverse trying to hit 6th.
That took some getting used to, and I've been driving manual transmissions my whole life.
I've found that if I grab the left side of the shift knob with the palm of my hand it will go from 5th to 6th easier.

raven12

Looks great. I really hope the top is threaded to accept standard shift knobs. I ended up chopping the top of my stock shaft off and welded on a threaded portion.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

raven12

Hi guys. Bit of an update. I called B&M. These should be in stock around the 14th, but pricing is set at $469.99!! :eek:

$300 sounded doable. $470 is a totally different story.

Evil

You guys will spend 400 + on a fancy steering stabilizer but 469.99 for something that might actually help is out of the question :cheesy:

Mine should be here Tuesday and install to follow shortly. Ill let you know how it turns out :thumb:

XJADDICTION

Banned
whats the point of having a short throw if you are limited by the slow action of the clutch? ......... If you were to have a racing Jeep with fast clutch and lever action you have to change everything out.....might as well get a Ferrari or McLaren to enjoy the action......just saying. :D

Hmmm, well the 3.6L is used by Maserati punched to 400+ HP, and my JKURHR is red...

sassmouth

You guys will spend 400 + on a fancy steering stabilizer but 469.99 for something that might actually help is out of the question :cheesy:

Mine should be here Tuesday and install to follow shortly. Ill let you know how it turns out :thumb:

I installed mine about a month ago. I like the shorter throw. It is also requires more force to shift which I think is good because my factory shifter was somewhat loose feeling

I recommend ordering an extra "shifter donut" in case you tear the original one like I did. I have the part number if you need it.

BTW you don't have to drop the gas tank or the cross member as per BM's instructions . You can slide in the shifter donut from below and push the shifter through it from above

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

I installed mine about a month ago. I like the shorter throw. It is also requires more force to shift which I think is good because my factory shifter was somewhat loose feeling

I recommend ordering an extra "shifter donut" in case you tear the original one like I did. I have the part number if you need it.

BTW you don't have to drop the gas tank or the cross member as per BM's instructions . You can slide in the shifter donut from below and push the shifter through it from above

Did you take any pics of installation?

sassmouth

FYI to those who have or are about to install this sport shifter

When I drained my transmission fluid, I found two small machine screws. The screws came from the shifter. When I inspected the shifter, I found two more screws that were backing out.

If I hadn't drained the trans I would have not noticed that this was happening. Having screws bounce around in the transmission could have been very bad and catestrophic if the shifter came apart. The shifter has only been in use for 6 weeks.

I am talking about this issue with the manufacturer. They didn't have loctite on the screws apparently.

20170710_094017.jpg

20170710_094047.jpg

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
2016 SEMA : B&M Jeep JK Wrangler Manual Sport Shifter

FYI to those who have or are about to install this sport shifter

When I drained my transmission fluid, I found two small machine screws. The screws came from the shifter. When I inspected the shifter, I found two more screws that were backing out.

If I hadn't drained the trans I would have not noticed that this was happening. Having screws bounce around in the transmission could have been very bad and catestrophic if the shifter came apart. The shifter has only been in use for 6 weeks.

I am talking about this issue with the manufacturer. They didn't have loctite on the screws apparently.

View attachment 267459

View attachment 267460

Damn, that's sucks. Luckily you caught that in time [emoji51]. I am curious to hear what the manufacturer has to say about this.

Last edited:

sassmouth

When i told them they said they had no records of any complaints. I said no one would even know until it was too late.

They will gladly send me a new one but are checking with their manufacturing division. I definitely would have no interest in a new one until i have some confidence in those screws not coming out.

Meanwhile i am finally finishing up reassembling everything under the jeep after completing the clutch replacement. Now would be the best time for me to change out the shifter. I have the original shifter reinstalled at this point.

I first called them last Wednesday but after getting no updated response i followed up with them again today. I may not be willing to wait on their manufacturing division to fix this issue...who knows how long that will take.

UPDATE: They will be changing the type of screws being provided and will be adding loctite as well. Waiting to hear back as to when i could get a replacement.

Last edited:

sassmouth

Well after to speaking to B&M about my issue earlier this week, they have told me that that were going to add loctite and change out the screws they were using. They have responded promptly and overnighted a new shifter to me. I talked to their technical assistance personnel and i believe that they took this issue seriously.

However I cannot tell by looking at the replacement if the loctite was added or if the screw threads are different as the screw heads look the same as before. I physically checked the screws to see if i could turn them with a little force but none budged. Maybe what happened to the first shifter I had was an anomaly. :idontknow:

I will be installing the replacement sport shifter and hopefully it will hold up long term.

Morkai

I've been waiting for this since my '10 2 door, lol! Always ran a short throw shifter on my mustangs when I was younger and loved them.

I know, jeep's not a sports car, but I've always thought that throw could be shorter!

Good find on those screws, that could have ended way worse! Nice hear they took it seriously and hooked you up!

Top Bottom