CANCELED My AAA Premier Road Side Assistance - Think You're Covered? Think Again

AWSUMDC

I had this happen to me only once but found it really was not AAA but instead the tow company themselves. Had the exact same experience where a driver came out yelled at me for having such a large Tacoma and then stated that AAA would not tow it.
Called AAA and then they sent out another drive from a different company and he gladly towed my truck, broken unit bearing and all.
Told him what had happened and he said it's up to the tow company that is called out to make that determination and that most will tow them. The only reason he found that some won't is either distance or traffic.
Since that time I've used my AAA to tow others vehicles including a Jeep JK on 42's without question.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
AAA is being very shortsighted

I think the only sight they have is focused on their policies.

Whaaaat? This is too bad. That company has gone downhill over the past couple of years.

It really is a shame too. I used to recommend them all the time.

Sucks to hear what AAA did to a loyal customer but it seems that's the way all service oriented companies are going these days. They'll do anything they can to wiggle out or up-sell you.
Out of curiosity, did GEICO guarantee they would have towed you in that situation?

I checked GEICO's terms and conditions and it was simple and short. I saw no language in it that would prevent our Jeeps from being towed the way AAA has. If there is a downside, it's that they will only tow you to the nearest "repair facility" but then, the service is a lot cheaper too. For the almost $400 a year that I saved by switching my auto insurance over to them, I could easily call a truck if it were really needed and just pay for the service. Hopefully I'll never need it but if I do, I'll be sure to share my experiences here.

Sounds like the tow truck driver brings a whole new meaning to DICKHEAD. Apparently AAA has know loyalty to its paying customers. Sorry to hear of all that BS .

It was surprising to see AAA's eagerness to defend their driver and total lack of concern at losing a long time customer who also had a fleet of vehicles insured with them. p.

I was about to sign up for AAA..... might have to redirect that money elsewhere. Thanks for the insight

In my opinion, you might as well. I mean, why pay for a service if they won't guarantee to help you out in a time of need.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had this happen to me only once but found it really was not AAA but instead the tow company themselves. Had the exact same experience where a driver came out yelled at me for having such a large Tacoma and then stated that AAA would not tow it.
Called AAA and then they sent out another drive from a different company and he gladly towed my truck, broken unit bearing and all.
Told him what had happened and he said it's up to the tow company that is called out to make that determination and that most will tow them. The only reason he found that some won't is either distance or traffic.
Since that time I've used my AAA to tow others vehicles including a Jeep JK on 42's without question.

Like I've said over and over again, I've never had a problem with them in over 10 years. Likewise, I never doubted for a second that this was a tow company or specific driver that wouldn't help me. That is the reason why I never called to complain to AAA. I figured it was a fluke, all went well with my trip and I pretty much wrote it off. My problem is that AAA sent me a customer survey asking about my experience and I shared it with them. It was AAA giving me an unapologetic finger, defending the actions of their driver and blaming me for not reading their terms and conditions that caught me off guard. Now that I know where they stand and that I would only have myself to blame for being left high and dry, I can no longer justify paying them for a service that they won't guarantee to provide.

swiber

I have had AAA for about 15 years never had a problem. One thing I have heard is the tow company's have a bunch of power when it comes to flagging accounts. Basically I believe you were designed for other factors besides the modifications to the jeep. Something along the lines of the tow company not wanting to drive the 60 miles. If you pushed the issue or they don't want to see this negative press they will make it right.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I have had AAA for about 15 years never had a problem. One thing I have heard is the tow company's have a bunch of power when it comes to flagging accounts. Basically I believe you were designed for other factors besides the modifications to the jeep. Something along the lines of the tow company not wanting to drive the 60 miles. If you pushed the issue or they don't want to see this negative press they will make it right.

They haven't made it right, and have had ample opportunity. Go back to the beginning two posts of this thread, and read the update from 06-22-2017.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Oh, just an update. I cancelled ALL of my AAA and signed up with GEICO. If you can believe it, I actually ended up saving 15% or more on my auto insurance. I even got their roadside assistance with my lower rate. Don't know why I didn't do this sooner.

How was GEICO on covering modified Jeeps and all the aftermarket parts? Additional rider?

vgullotta

How was GEICO on covering modified Jeeps and all the aftermarket parts? Additional rider?

I've had Geico for a while, but I've always had AAA as well. I can't really comment on it, cause AAA has never treated me like they did Eddie, so I haven't needed the Geico roadside assistance, but it's always nice to know I have the two options. Geico as an insurance company has always been super nice and helpful to me, and over the past 4 or 5 years, they have emailed me at least 3 times that I can find in my email right now essentially saying, "hey, btw, your insurance went down." I also called them up recently and asked how I can lower my insurance and add this Nissan Altima the wifey has, and after they packaged it all together, the Nissan ended up being basically free to insure (with full coverage), given the amount we saved pulling it out of the other insurance company it was on and grouping it all together. I think you'll be happy with Geico, but only time will tell. Good luck.

DaJudge

My AAA renewal was dew on June 15. I let it lapse! No point in paying for useless coverage. The way they treated Eddie is rediculous! Not just the initial instance but all of the follow up as well!
I have towing through State Farm, wonder how good it is?

nacorider

Allstate

I had all-state home insurance for a home that needed fire mitigation. All-state was going to cancel the policy if I didn't cut back the trees 200 ft from the house. But if I purchased auto insurance through them cutting back 100 ft would suffice.

Hefe

It really is crazy that $600-$700 would have gotten me towed home but without it, towing a Jeep like Moby would be "unsafe". :naw:

well... Moby does look mean as hell!
I could see how he might feel unsafe with a big sexy injured beast like Moby on the hook behind him! :brows:

Last edited:

Rocksalt

I have been very pleased with State Farm.. and they are one of a few companies that wont jack up your homeowners insurance if you happen to own pitbulls, of which I have four rescue pits

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

They haven't made it right, and have had ample opportunity. Go back to the beginning two posts of this thread, and read the update from 06-22-2017.

What notnalc68 said. Dongie Royster, the AAA Member Experience Supervisor is well aware of this thread in spite of the fact that I never made mention of it let alone WAYALIFE and he has still chosen to stand behind the tow truck driver.

You have to call a representative to assist you with this but unlike some companies, they will do it.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
What notnalc68 said. Dongie Royster, the AAA Member Experience Supervisor is well aware of this thread in spite of the fact that I never made mention of it let alone WAYALIFE and he has still chosen to stand behind the tow truck driver.

You have to call a representative to assist you with this but unlike some companies, they will do it.

And they will put the mod coverage in writing? That would be awesome as I am in the market for different insurance now too!

And they will put the mod coverage in writing? That would be awesome as I am in the market for different insurance now too!

I have geico and they have been nothing but amazing and will put everything in writting and if u ever need a tow they will take care of u unlike AAA were they will leave u stranded and play the bull shit card.

naysjp

I understand they are a good place to work as well. My niece has been there a while and likes it. The rates were not competitive when I was looking for insurance (had a clean record) but maybe that has changed since I am older with a clean record. I've been looking for insurance to see if I could get a better rate. You had a lot of vehicles insured w/ AAA. Their loss, GEICO's gain.

mo0s3

Geico will add coverage for aftermarket parts but add depreciation but.... when you get the new parts they will send you another check for the difference. Yet to use it but i will let you know if i ever need it :)

Trail Bud

Hooked
Just got my AAA renewal. I've been a member since 1986. I guest I need to start shopping.
I've used it many times on a jeep with 40's and never an issue.
I think the driver screwed this up on Eddies situation. But if AAA gives them that much ability to refuse service I don't want to take the chance of being stranded.

Last edited:

The BAD Influence

Caught the Bug
I've used AAA once to tow our Jeep. Noted, it's not in the same ball park as anything Eddie has. First, I was only about 5 miles from the dealership where it was being towed. Second, all the driver did the entire time of getting the Jeep on the flat bed was complain about how much he and his company hated AAA. His truck, and all the others from his company all have a very large AAA sticker on them. He stated that Good Sam was significantly better to work with. I haven't given it another thought until now. And then over the weekend, while shopping for a little camp trailer to pull, the RV dealer and sales rep spent 10 minutes telling us how awesome Good Sam is. I haven't taken the time to do much digging, especially regarding a modified vehicle, but initially Good Sam looks cheaper, not that that means much, if they won't preform when needed.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom