Can anyone help me identify this noise coming from the clutch????

FallonJeeper

I would say throw out bearing, if it did it all the time when the Clutch is depressed. Is the clutch fully disengaged when you depress the clutch pedal to the floor?

Only when stopped leads me to think the clutch may not be disengaging totally.

I'm unfamiliar with that clutch system. Is there an adjustment? Hopefully somebody with more knowledge on this particular clutch system will provide some details.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

cone99

I would say throw out bearing, if it did it all the time when the Clutch is depressed. Is the clutch fully disengaged when you depress the clutch pedal to the floor?

Only when stopped leads me to think the clutch may not be disengaging totally.

I'm unfamiliar with that clutch system. Is there an adjustment? Hopefully somebody with more knowledge on this particular clutch system will provide some details.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I just replaced the throw out bearing about 20,xxx miles ago. That noise was more of a squeaking than the noise it's making now. I wonder is one of the springs might have broke???

ZachJKUR

If its still the original clutch and pressure plate, there's probably a good chance that the springs are starting to drag on the flywheel when they're not totally locked together yet...which would make sense as to why the noise goes away once youre up to speed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

cone99

If its still the original clutch and pressure plate, there's probably a good chance that the springs are starting to drag on the flywheel when they're not totally locked together yet...which would make sense as to why the noise goes away once youre up to speed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

When it happened I was exiting the highway and came to a stop light on the road. The jeep didn't want to go in gear, I had to force in it, that's when the noise started. The jeep has been parked since it happened. Just trying to get some info before getting parts...

ZachJKUR

When it happened I was exiting the highway and came to a stop light on the road. The jeep didn't want to go in gear, I had to force in it, that's when the noise started. The jeep has been parked since it happened. Just trying to get some info before getting parts...

Well if it was from a stop and the clutch was engaged, the only things that would keep it from going in to gear are either the clutch spring is shot (and the pressure plate is dragging and thus the clutch is actually still engaged, even with the pedal depressed), the clutch hydraulics are going and thus clutch was actually catching ( and slipping) or a synchro is shredded. My bet would be the clutch disk/pressure plate is coming apart and catching. How many miles are on it?

cone99

Well if it was from a stop and the clutch was engaged, the only things that would keep it from going in to gear are either the clutch spring is shot (and the pressure plate is dragging and thus the clutch is actually still engaged, even with the pedal depressed), the clutch hydraulics are going and thus clutch was actually catching ( and slipping) or a synchro is shredded. My bet would be the clutch disk/pressure plate is coming apart and catching. How many miles are on it?

118,xxx miles on the jeep; Its more than likely toast... I thought maybe there would have been more sighs to it starting to fail, like it slipping or more chatter while driving. Now on to the next step... Looking for a new clutch... OEM or aftermarket???

Top Bottom