3.5” back spacing for 35x12.5 too little?

Mozarkid

Scrub Radius Anyone?

Kinda surprised there's no discussion of scrub radius here. 3.5" backspace results in a dangerously large scrub radius (for a JL). A real problem for street safety.

TheGrendel

It's not that it is dangerous, it just causes different handling characteristics.

It is a Jeep, not a sports car. Most of us are willing to give up some road manners to trade for off road ability.

that and i would like to know why he called out the JL specifically. what makes the JL that much different than the JK. :crazyeyes:

Mozarkid

It's not that it is dangerous, it just causes different handling characteristics.

It is a Jeep, not a sports car. Most of us are willing to give up some road manners to trade for off road ability.

Brilliant...
Ya, most of you weren't even born when my first jeep hit the dirt.
Next time you're headed down a snow covered road with one side on clear pavement and one side not, remember scrub radius and what going into a flat spin may do for your day.
Youngsters think they're gonna live forever...

pop2tu

Brilliant...
Ya, most of you weren't even born when my first jeep hit the dirt.
Next time you're headed down a snow covered road with one side on clear pavement and one side not, remember scrub radius and what going into a flat spin may do for your day.
Youngsters think they're gonna live forever...

Well let’s look at this! He said positive scrub radius was bad, negative scrub radius was bad, and then he said zero scrub radius was bad! He also said that braking was shared by Right Front and Left Rear brakes, and so on. not on Jeeps (at least not through the JK) the front are paired together (70% of braking) and rear are paired together (30% braking). I feel you are taking this guys information and trying to force fit it to all vehicles, and blowing it out of proportion. Jeeps are not sports cars!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ok so I did some research, and most is manufacturers use diagonally split brake systems, so our JKs most likely are diagonally split brake system. Doesn’t change the fact that he said all scrub radius is bad

Last edited:

Mozarkid

Well let’s look at this! He said positive scrub radius was bad, negative scrub radius was bad, and then he said zero scrub radius was bad! He also said that braking was shared by Right Front and Left Rear brakes, and so on. not on Jeeps (at least not through the JK) the front are paired together (70% of braking) and rear are paired together (30% braking). I feel you are taking this guys information and trying to force fit it to all vehicles, and blowing it out of proportion. Jeeps are not sports cars!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ok so I did some research, and most is manufacturers use diagonally split brake systems, so our JKs most likely are diagonally split brake system. Doesn’t change the fact that he said all scrub radius is bad

This has been known for decades. I used that guys video just as a simple explanation; no it wasn't perfect.
Dynatrac's explanation was spot on (the second link I posted).
Most froaders use their Jeeps for daily drivers as well and live in regions where it snows.
Better to be informed about steering geometry than ignorant and injured - or worse, injuring someone else.
If you don't like being informed, great! No need to be an ass.

Top Bottom