Overland TJ Build ideas

kep01

That’s odd...I guess they’ve never seen a bear in a tree before?

Yep. When they turned us away in a park in New Mexico 2 years ago for ground camping I thought theses people are some kind of special. But anyway the tent on the trailer works well for the family

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

dustinfromohio

IMG_1768.JPG

Maiden voyage with the kayaks today. Towed amazing, barely knew it was back there. Definitely want to extend the tongue at least a couple feet to center the yaks and making backing easier.

PokerStogey

View attachment 327835

Maiden voyage with the kayaks today. Towed amazing, barely knew it was back there. Definitely want to extend the tongue at least a couple feet to center the yaks and making backing easier.

I’m a big fan of extending that little stubby... not only moves around better, but I am able to access the cargo area while attached. Big plus on a long road trip.
IMG_6999.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Blackbird

Curious

I'm curious on which way you went for travels. Personally since I am out in Oregon a small tent trailer could be perfect option. With all those miles an occasional BnB or hotel stay would be a welcome break We have put some long highway miles on our TJ and found it not so bad even traveling at 70, a little noisy with a soft top. Never had the death wobble issue I hear of so much. You mentioned Moab, one of our favorite spots and even a stock TJ does fine on the easier trails, ours has 31 10.50 15's and never an issue on slick rock. Again I don't push the stock limits. Hope you have had some fun already!

dustinfromohio

I'm curious on which way you went for travels. Personally since I am out in Oregon a small tent trailer could be perfect option. With all those miles an occasional BnB or hotel stay would be a welcome break We have put some long highway miles on our TJ and found it not so bad even traveling at 70, a little noisy with a soft top. Never had the death wobble issue I hear of so much. You mentioned Moab, one of our favorite spots and even a stock TJ does fine on the easier trails, ours has 31 10.50 15's and never an issue on slick rock. Again I don't push the stock limits. Hope you have had some fun already!

We did a shake down run to New River Gorge, Wv last month (5ish hours away) and overall the combo did fantastic! The trailer was loaded down with firewood, camp gear, and kayaks (800ish lbs total) and the Jeep pulled just fine on freeways and switchbacks. However with windows down on the freeway I only averaged 15 mpg so AC recharge is a must do and I had to downshift on most inclines which isn’t a big deal but I’m still keeping my eye out for 4.10s. Definitely need to upgrade shocks to smooth out the ride and rebuild the trailer this winter. Being realistic, I have a ton of work to do on both platforms before they are anywhere close to ready for cross country travels but that’s half the fun.
IMG_2076.jpg
We ended up renting an A frame instead of tent camping because the GF is 6 months pregnant.
IMG_7222.jpg IMG_2083.jpg IMG_2074.jpg

Next trip will be the Daniel Boone Backcounty Byway over Labor Day weekend!

Top Bottom