Rock Hard 4x4 JK Sport Cage Installation Write-Up

Ddays

Hooked
The issue you are having is super rare, but we've seen it before and the strap did the trick every time.

Just my luck. OK, I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Someone's always gotta be that one jackass and it looks like I gotta raise my hand on this one. Be aware if you do this you may bow your windshield frame some. I did this in order to get the gap tighter on my install and now air infiltrates my hardtop so bad it sounds like one of the windows are down. Keep this in mind if you're running a Freedom top. If you're running a soft top you shouldn't have any issues as that top doesn't have the seam in the middle.
Man, I tried silicone and black weatherstripping cement but it still leaked. I finally put black Gorilla Tape over the seams and that stopped it. :icon_crazy: Can't wait for soft top season though.

GraniteCrystal

Someone's always gotta be that one jackass and it looks like I gotta raise my hand on this one. Be aware if you do this you may bow your windshield frame some. I did this in order to get the gap tighter on my install and now air infiltrates my hardtop so bad it sounds like one of the windows are down. Keep this in mind if you're running a Freedom top. If you're running a soft top you shouldn't have any issues as that top doesn't have the seam in the middle.
Man, I tried silicone and black weatherstripping cement but it still leaked. I finally put black Gorilla Tape over the seams and that stopped it. :icon_crazy: Can't wait for soft top season though.
Bowing the windshield frame is exactly the kind of thing I don't want to do. I run hardtop year around. Having a whistling sound at all times isn't acceptable.

As much as it sucks, I may just not tighten those bolts down any farther and live with the gap.

Ddays

Hooked
Bowing the windshield frame is exactly the kind of thing I don't want to do. I run hardtop year around. Having a whistling sound at all times isn't acceptable.

As much as it sucks, I may just not tighten those bolts down any farther and live with the gap.

In retrospect that's probably what I would do. I wonder if the gap affects the install integrity at all?

GraniteCrystal

In retrospect that's probably what I would do. I wonder if the gap affects the install integrity at all?
I'm sure it does a bit. But I'll get some longer bolts to make sure I make use of all the available threads. Odds of rolling already not huge. Odds of rolling in such a way that the gap ends up making difference, even smaller.

Odds of me being annoyed every time I drive it with a whistling sound: high.

Much thanks for the insights DDays.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
I would take out the bolts at the windshield then use the strap. There should be enough play to run them back in afterwards. If not then dremmel the holes a bit wider. A tight fit is crucial to the integrity of the cage IMO.

GraniteCrystal

I would take out the bolts at the windshield then use the strap. There should be enough play to run them back in afterwards. If not then dremmel the holes a bit wider. A tight fit is crucial to the integrity of the cage IMO.
You're saying Shift the cage inward, then retighten to windshield frame. Interesting idea. I'll have to look to see how it's attached.

Top Bottom