Smoking Meat -- Tips, Opinions, Recipes

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I’m using the Traeger turkey kit which includes their turkey mix pellets and their brine. I’m following the Traeger instructions for a spicy bbq bird. It’s a mixture of their spicy BBQ sauce and butter under the skin, with their turkey rub on top and a light BBQ glaze during the last 20 minutes. That’s bird #1 (about a 12 lb bird).

Bird #2 (12 lb) is going to be no brine, apple and some whole spices in the cavity, spices on the outside, and likely just roasted in the oven (basically my mother-in-law’s standard recipe.)

I’m interested to see which one is preferred at dinner. I’d like to move completely to the smoker next year.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I’m interested to see which one is preferred at dinner. I’d like to move completely to the smoker next year.

Lol, Side by side is so unfair to the oven bird. We did the same a couple years ago and now only do them on the Traegers. The only downside is the lack of drippings to do gravy if that's a thing at your house. We improvised and made it on the stove but there was so much bitching and moaning that we're gonna try to do one in a pan to catch drippings this year.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’m using the Traeger turkey kit which includes their turkey mix pellets and their brine. I’m following the Traeger instructions for a spicy bbq bird. It’s a mixture of their spicy BBQ sauce and butter under the skin, with their turkey rub on top and a light BBQ glaze during the last 20 minutes. That’s bird #1 (about a 12 lb bird).

Bird #2 (12 lb) is going to be no brine, apple and some whole spices in the cavity, spices on the outside, and likely just roasted in the oven (basically my mother-in-law’s standard recipe.)

Lol, Side by side is so unfair to the oven bird. We did the same a couple years ago and now only do them on the Traegers. The only downside is the lack of drippings to do gravy if that's a thing at your house. We improvised and made it on the stove but there was so much bitching and moaning that we're gonna try to do one in a pan to catch drippings this year.

We do that every year, smoke one on the egg and cook one in in the oven. Like Ddays said, no gravy from the smoked bird, it wouldn’t be good anyway, too much smoke flavor.

For our group of 20, it’s about 50/50, on which one people like. But hands down I prefer the smoked turkey.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Irish JK

Caught the Bug

We did about the exact same last year.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Judging by the leftovers (or lack thereof), the Traeger was definitely the bigger hit.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom