The never-ending 'wave' discussion thread

DINKELROC

I've summed it this way...the non-wavers have never been on a trail and don't understand that we all hope to see each other on the trail at some point so we wave at each other. Non-wavers = Posers.

aemfinger

I like to wave when cruising around in my jeep and often feel compelled to wave when driving the wifes van. I feel like they need to know that I'm one of them and I'm trapped in here. I doubt my message would be properly convayed.

It's always while driving the wife's pilot that I see the nicest rigs...I wave anyway! I even get a wave back sometimes :thumb:

PatyWagon

Now that I’m back in a jku....it has been a couple years. Most stock looking jku’s are “soccer moms or dads” they don’t give the wave back. As to maybe help verify this my jku was stock for almost a week and got very little waves from others. As soon as I put on the wheel spacers ( Just that alone) it had dramatically increased the :wave: Still all part of the family.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
This is coming from an older vertically challenged lady who's driven TJs (3) to JKs (4), ladies if you own your own jeep someone clue them in on the wave or if they drive the significant other's jeep clue them in on the wave. I've been waving for 15+ years and lately the clueless looks I get from the ladies driving jeeps (2 door or 4 door) just makes me smh. Mine is bone stock JK, intended, purpose is to get me wherever I want to go, period. Vertically challenged therefore no lift no big tires, but a big smile and a wave for ya! [emoji3] [emoji112] [emoji112]

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Waving must vary depending on the area of the country you’re in. Here in southern Arizona it’s very normal and expected. On the rare times you don’t get a wave back you just figure they were preoccupied. My wife loves counting the wave responses and is fascinated by the whole idea. She points out every Jeep as they come into sight with a little “Jeep” callout to me.
Last week she laughingly wondered if I could mount a Jeep grill on her Honda CRV so she could get some waves too. I explained she could just get her very own Jeep and have fun all the time. She’s thinking about it. [emoji1319][emoji1319]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

We just got back into a Wrangler and around here, Orlando-Daytona Beach areas, 2/3s don’t wave. Like others have said I get The Who is that look mostly, or not even know what another a Jeep looks like.

There are a ton of Harley’s, Canadians, Vettes, Canadians, and Jeeps around here I’m sort of not surprised that most Jeeps don’t wave. Heck most Harley riders don’t wave, but that may have to do with me on a sportbike...

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
Here in France there is the occasional wave and many revert to flashing the headlights...Clearly JKU's in oem garb and chanel ladies driving rarely wave back. The wave factor goes up if you drive it topless and more so if door-less as hardly anybody goes door-less here.....:grayno::grayno:

RedPool

I am learning to just wave at anything. I am getting some of the strangest looks in return. I am also getting a lot of questions from my wife since I only do that in her JKU.

HoosierWolf

My wife's best friend just got a JKU a couple weeks ago. My wife asked me to look up wave information and send it to her because the dealer didn't even discuss the Jeep Wave with her.

One of my wife's co-workers just got his son a TJ and has said something about installing a mud run on their property (not sure how serious they are but his wife says she's on board.) I need to make sure he's told his son about "The Wave" although I'd be shocked if my wife didn't already mention it to him.

PatyWagon

My wife's best friend just got a JKU a couple weeks ago. My wife asked me to look up wave information and send it to her because the dealer didn't even discuss the Jeep Wave with her.

One of my wife's co-workers just got his son a TJ and has said something about installing a mud run on their property (not sure how serious they are but his wife says she's on board.) I need to make sure he's told his son about "The Wave" although I'd be shocked if my wife didn't already mention it to him.
I've honestly educated more than a few salesman on the wave, gotten some incredulous looks like I was pulling their leg. Really? OMG learn about your product and those you're selling to.

HoosierWolf

I've honestly educated more than a few salesman on the wave, gotten some incredulous looks like I was pulling their leg. Really? OMG learn about your product and those you're selling to.

When I went to look at our JKU the salesman at the dealership brought it up as soon as I sat in the drivers seat. :thumb:

The wife and I both ride motorcycles too. I can tell you for sure I've waved at a few bikes while I was driving the jeep and a few jeeps while I was on one of our bikes.

Oreo_penguin536

We just got back into a Wrangler and around here, Orlando-Daytona Beach areas, 2/3s don’t wave. Like others have said I get The Who is that look mostly, or not even know what another a Jeep looks like.

There are a ton of Harley’s, Canadians, Vettes, Canadians, and Jeeps around here I’m sort of not surprised that most Jeeps don’t wave. Heck most Harley riders don’t wave, but that may have to do with me on a sportbike...

I have no idea why Harley riders hate rice rockets.... with me on a dyna and him on a r6 you would die with some of the looks we’d get especially if we both pop wheelies side by side... I swear we almost got into a fight a night during street vibes [emoji23][emoji23]

longarmwj

When my WJ was my daily, I would wave at any jeep that passed. Every now and then would I get a wave back.

When I got my JK I felt like a kid in a candy store with all the waves I got [emoji23]

MDK210

Who Else Hates the "Jeep Wave"?

Coming from a motorcycle street/race track background and having owned both cruisers and sport bikes I understand the wave there. Even between cruisers and sport bikes there's a stigma between the two that you don't acknowledge each other especially if you're "hardcore".

Knowing I was going to buy a Wrangler I knew about the wave in my late teens. I rode with a buddy back in the 90's and he got super pissed when an elderly lady driving a Wrangler didn't wave and went on a 10min rant. Now that I've had my Wrangler for about two years I've accidentally waved at a few people since it was muscle memory from the motorcycles but I noticed even with Wranglers there's a stigma. You don't wave to ANY Jeep only Wranglers. Using a buddy as an example, he doesn't wave at any Wranglers that appear stock even though his has a bunch of zip tied and rusted free shit on it.

I just don't get it. The motorcycle wave was shared because you're basically acknowledging the inherent dangers or consequences of riding motorcycles and ultimately it's an unspoken bond even between bikers who don't know each other but a fucking Wrangler? High risk of roll over yes but that's nothing to wave about, hell I live in Colorado and I can't spend more than 5 seconds on the road without seeing a Wrangler. Might as well put a fake hand on the driver's mirror.

I refuse to give in and I can't be the only one! Out on the trail I'll wave all day regardless of the vehicle because we are both sharing the same experience but driving to Lowes I just don't care. I can't be the only one right?

Top Bottom