VIDEO - JL JOURNAL : A BAD VIBE - Tracking Down & Fixing Driveshaft Vibrations

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL - so, there's some self-proclaimed badass who's apparently a fanboy of the manufacturer of my original driveshafts and of course, felt the need to defend their honor. His name is Robert Moore and if he's someone special, you'll have to forgive me for not knowing who he is. Not sure why an Ultra 4 racer would be watching our lame ass videos but of course, I don't think he really did.

Robert Moore.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Great video.

I'm on my third adams' shaft in less than a year and the only reason why I kept giving them chances was becuase they're local to me. Needless to say, their QC has gone down and all they care about is pumping product out of the door. I'm going to another local shop to me and they're building me a set of 1350s for less than I paid for two 1310s from adams.

It's really a shame because they used to be the standard...

Real world experience that you can’t make up^^^

olb123

Front end vibration

I have the same oscillating vibration on my JLU and my axle and drive shaft are stock. What could be causing that?
Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have the same oscillating vibration on my JLU and my axle and drive shaft are stock. What could be causing that?
Thanks

Just like wheels, a driveshaft spins and needs to be balanced in order to run smooth. Could be you just have a shaft that's out of balance. I would talk to your dealership about it.

JBF

Clearly, he's not as old as that Robert Moore guy and has to be slamming them and based on false assumptions :crazyeyes:

The name sounds familiar. I'm pretty sure he's on a couple of the local Vegas FB groups and likes to belittle anyone who has problems with said company.

EDIT: nope. different guy.

Last edited:

Jeepfan30

Thank you for that. If I could guess, a lot of these guys wouldn't even have a clue as to what a well balanced shaft would feel like. They all just assume they have the shit because of what they paid for. Me, I've been doing this long enough and spend enough time on the road to want to make it right. If I can be of help to others, my job is done.

I was one to assume my mail order driveshaft would be perfect since it was from a name brand company. Brought my Coast rear shaft in yesterday for balance and they said there was .30 runout at the transfer case end weld, so they had to cut and re-weld. Bringing in my front Adams today, hopefully that one just needs balance. Hoping this fixes my vibes that I’ve been chasing for couple years. Always though it was something else since I had new name brand driveshafts!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The name sounds familiar. I'm pretty sure he's on a couple of the local Vegas FB groups and likes to belittle anyone who has problems with said company.

EDIT: nope. different guy.

LOL - well, it wouldn't surprise me if it was someone like that out there :crazyeyes:

I was one to assume my mail order driveshaft would be perfect since it was from a name brand company. Brought my Coast rear shaft in yesterday for balance and they said there was .30 runout at the transfer case end weld, so they had to cut and re-weld. Bringing in my front Adams today, hopefully that one just needs balance. Hoping this fixes my vibes that I’ve been chasing for couple years. Always though it was something else since I had new name brand driveshafts!

Yeah, that's the sucky thing. I get guys telling me all the time how brand X or brand Y is so awesome and to be fair, I've run a few of them in the past. However, I've always found I got the best results from using a local shop.

AlStew

I am so happy you posted this video. I have been having bad vibes for 3 years ever since I purchased from that shop in Henderson. I am on my third front drive shaft as well and they have sent me multiple videos, emails, stating everything is fine telling me in the videos on the lathe that it's perfect. Customer service has been great and are quick to "warranty" my shaft, but I remember reading a comment on here a long time ago "the best customer service is the one you never have to use." I always believed them and thought the vibration was something else and I have done EVERYTHING in this 3 year span. Rebuilt my dynatrac ball joints, torque check, multiple tire balances, trying friends wheels and tires, had the rear diff rebuilt (didn't know my breather tube extension pulled apart and sucked in a bunch of water), two alignments from two different shops, new unit bearings, new axle shafts front and rear with new bearings/ujoints, front uppers to really dial in the caster, paid a "driveline specialty" offroad shop for a diagnosis and they tried to sell me some chinese adjustable rear upper arms, went back to evo to check the rear diff again, stuck a gopro to the bottom of the jeep, pulled the skid plates off, checked motor mounts, trans mounts, was considering a new t-case until I watched this video. Went to the local drive line shop in mission viejo CA and both my "perfect" drive lines needed to be straightened, and the rear needed another weight. They offered to help dial in the caster as well. And the best part was I went to pick up the drive lines and the labor was completely free!!! Also, I asked how much new drivelines were and like you stated eddie, I got a cheaper quote. Thank you again...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am so happy you posted this video. I have been having bad vibes for 3 years ever since I purchased from that shop in Henderson. I am on my third front drive shaft as well and they have sent me multiple videos, emails, stating everything is fine telling me in the videos on the lathe that it's perfect. Customer service has been great and are quick to "warranty" my shaft, but I remember reading a comment on here a long time ago "the best customer service is the one you never have to use." I always believed them and thought the vibration was something else and I have done EVERYTHING in this 3 year span. Rebuilt my dynatrac ball joints, torque check, multiple tire balances, trying friends wheels and tires, had the rear diff rebuilt (didn't know my breather tube extension pulled apart and sucked in a bunch of water), two alignments from two different shops, new unit bearings, new axle shafts front and rear with new bearings/ujoints, front uppers to really dial in the caster, paid a "driveline specialty" offroad shop for a diagnosis and they tried to sell me some chinese adjustable rear upper arms, went back to evo to check the rear diff again, stuck a gopro to the bottom of the jeep, pulled the skid plates off, checked motor mounts, trans mounts, was considering a new t-case until I watched this video. Went to the local drive line shop in mission viejo CA and both my "perfect" drive lines needed to be straightened, and the rear needed another weight. They offered to help dial in the caster as well. And the best part was I went to pick up the drive lines and the labor was completely free!!! Also, I asked how much new drivelines were and like you stated eddie, I got a cheaper quote. Thank you again...

Well that really sucks that you've been dealing with this problem for as long as you had. I am however glad to know that our video was able to help point you in the right direction and finally get it fixed.

JL_John

Perfect timing on this video as I had the same exact problem with my Adams 1350 front shaft as soon as I eliminated the FAD. Checked the shaft and it has zero balance weights on it. Disappointed that after spending almost $700 on a driveshaft I need to pull it off and have it balanced.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Perfect timing on this video as I had the same exact problem with my Adams 1350 front shaft as soon as I eliminated the FAD. Checked the shaft and it has zero balance weights on it. Disappointed that after spending almost $700 on a driveshaft I need to pull it off and have it balanced.

Wow, you paid less than $700? Now I feel like I got taken for a ride. :rolleyes2:

Totally sucks and probably the last time I buy a brand name shaft.

TrailHunter

Hooked
And since we're at it, here's a copy of my last invoice for the brand new 1350 driveshaft that I bought for Moby from my local shop. As you can see here, it just cost $369.90.

View attachment 323424

And, here's what Adam's charged me for two 1350 shafts.

View attachment 323425

Obviously, you'd have to divide that by two but that still gets you $719.95 each.

Crazy to think I would get grief for trying to save people some money or that I should somehow help protect a vendor that I BOUGHT parts from. :rolleyes2:

So I went to my local driveshaft shop today to get prices on new front & rear 1350's.... I like the guy, he has always done great work for me in the past (rebuilding & balancing) ..... but I was really hoping to see the prices you show here.... He was very knowledgeable & helpful... and quoted me $675 out the door for the front and about the same for the rear... including all the flanges. I'd like to give him my business being he is local and will definitely be the guy servicing them in the future... Or do you think I should be going with big name brands like JE Real, Adams or Woods, since the prices are similar.....?

BaddestCross

So I went to my local driveshaft shop today to get prices on new front & rear 1350's.... I like the guy, he has always done great work for me in the past (rebuilding & balancing) ..... but I was really hoping to see the prices you show here.... He was very knowledgeable & helpful... and quoted me $675 out the door for the front and about the same for the rear... including all the flanges. I'd like to give him my business being he is local and will definitely be the guy servicing them in the future... Or do you think I should be going with big name brands like JE Real, Adams or Woods, since the prices are similar.....?
If you've got a local guy you can trust, that's always a better choice. Just make sure they're using quality parts.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

rubiDave

TrailHunter

Hooked
If you've got a local guy you can trust, that's always a better choice. Just make sure they're using quality parts.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

My thoughts too, but I don't know any local guys, and didn't have any references. Let me know who the local guy you trust is. That said I got F&R Adam's 1350s for about $1150 and no CA sales tax.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks Guys... yeah, that's what I'm thinking.... "Quality Parts" like Spicer? I'll get you the Name Dave...

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
VIDEO - JL JOURNAL : A BAD VIBE - Tracking Down & Fixing Driveshaft Vibrations

I had Drive Line and Gear rebuild my old spare rear shaft today. New u joints, shortened it 7”, replace the slip since the splines were twisted and balanced and a new paint job. More than half the price of a new shaft and they did it in about 5 hours with no appointment. I probably won’t ever go anywhere else for driveline work again.

IMG_0264.jpg

Now I have a spare front shaft.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom