2013 SEMA Knuckles Off Road Jeep JK Wrangler 4-Door

munstie

I know lifting a 37 mud grappler on a 17"spyderlock onto the EVO carrier was fun I can only imagine trying to toss a tire on that carrier phew:what:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sithwindu

Not gonna lie, I'm in love with that tire carrier!!! Lol looks insane! Practical? Not as much as a rear stinger carrier or Evos, but man it looks sick, I want one, but you guys are making me think twice about changing tires lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not gonna lie, I'm in love with that tire carrier!!! Lol looks insane! Practical? Not as much as a rear stinger carrier or Evos, but man it looks sick, I want one, but you guys are making me think twice about changing tires lol

It's not just the tire changing I'd be worried about. First off, your center of gravity will be thrown off and just at the rear. Second, I have seen a fair share of tire carriers break carrying a big spare and due to the movement caused by driving hard and fast in the desert. This is regardless if it's secured by a latch on the bumper or tied into the tailgate. The later causes all kinds of squeaks as the tailgate has a rubber gasket that allows it to move in and out. Cantilevered over the back like this, I can only imagine how much more exaggerated that movement would be. For looks alone, it is different for sure and know that there are folks that like it a lot.

Devallee

I know a few guys running this carrier and from what I've seen and heard the thing is pretty solid. It's great for departure angles on the trail but like Eddie said I could see it being a problem at higher speeds with all of that weight up there (haven't heard any reviews on it at speeds just on the trail). Not a fan of the look of it myself but from what I know from the guys running it I wouldn't count it out if it's something you like :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know a few guys running this carrier and from what I've seen and heard the thing is pretty solid. It's great for departure angles on the trail but like Eddie said I could see it being a problem at higher speeds with all of that weight up there (haven't heard any reviews on it at speeds just on the trail). Not a fan of the look of it myself but from what I know from the guys running it I wouldn't count it out if it's something you like :thumb:

eh, there are a lot of tire carriers that are great for departure angles, pretty much any bumper tire carrier will give you more clearance than stock and short of dropping off a small cliff, I can't really see the need for needing as much clearance as this would offer. White Knuckle Hill is about as big of a vertical drop as they come and guys with good aftermarket tire carriers go down it all the time without issue. But, I digress. As mentioned, the real issue I would be concerned with is speed. I have seen big spares on a lot of different quality tire carriers break them at the spindle and/or swing out arm. If you're not gonna be bombing through the desert, I'm sure this tire carrier will do fine.

eeftw

In all serious, I tend to not be a guy who buys parts based on what my wife likes. If I like it, I want it, I get it. With that said, I know a lot of you guys buy parts based on your SO's. So here's the deal, a local guy owns this tire carrier and he has a 37 on it. My wife had trouble closing the tailgate but she's pretty weak. So just some food for thought. It is pretty difficult to close. It is easier closing if you grab the high lift and close with it that way. But grabbing by the tailgate handle its a task. Just FYI.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In all serious, I tend to not be a guy who buys parts based on what my wife likes. If I like it, I want it, I get it. With that said, I know a lot of you guys buy parts based on your SO's. So here's the deal, a local guy owns this tire carrier and he has a 37 on it. My wife had trouble closing the tailgate but she's pretty weak. So just some food for thought. It is pretty difficult to close. It is easier closing if you grab the high lift and close with it that way. But grabbing by the tailgate handle its a task. Just FYI.

I hear ya. We used to have a Hanson rear bumper tire carrier and that thing was a serious pain to open and close. Cindy is pretty tough but that thing just pissed her off. By comparison, she can open and close our EVO tire carrier with an almost 200 lb. 40x15.50 Mud Grappler mounted on an ATX Slab without any problems. Of course, LoD, Expedition One, AEV and the like are all much easier to operate.

eeftw

I hear ya. We used to have a Hanson rear bumper tire carrier and that thing was a serious pain to open and close. Cindy is pretty tough but that thing just pissed her off. By comparison, she can open and close our EVO tire carrier with an almost 200 lb. 40x15.50 Mud Grappler mounted on an ATX Slab without any problems. Of course, LoD, Expedition One, AEV and the like are all much easier to operate.

I *ALMOST* bought a LOD tire carrier/bumper but at last minute went with JCR. Hope its a good carrier, but haven't read anything bad about it.

BlackKnight

Took a look at their site, the "angle" is an addon to their normal vertical mount that looks great. very heavy duty and opens with the door acuation. Also there is enough space behind to mount a mounting plate they designed for the door that holds two rotopacks, antenna and HiLift jack behind the spare out of the way.

There site has nothing about the front bumper, and no pricing (for anything). I have an email inquirey in to find out as I'm looking for bumpers for mine, was thinging EVO rear corners/carrier and just the fram D-Rings, but the front I may go with this if the priceing is right..

Bob

PS> A 40" is almost 200lbs!?! Damn I'm almost 300 (not all fat LOL) and even I couldn't get one of those suckers up there alone..

JKBANDIT55

Took a look at their site, the "angle" is an addon to their normal vertical mount that looks great. very heavy duty and opens with the door acuation. Also there is enough space behind to mount a mounting plate they designed for the door that holds two rotopacks, antenna and HiLift jack behind the spare out of the way.

There site has nothing about the front bumper, and no pricing (for anything). I have an email inquirey in to find out as I'm looking for bumpers for mine, was thinging EVO rear corners/carrier and just the fram D-Rings, but the front I may go with this if the priceing is right..

Bob

PS> A 40" is almost 200lbs!?! Damn I'm almost 300 (not all fat LOL) and even I couldn't get one of those suckers up there alone..

I believe Off Road Evolution now sells these bumpers. Might want to call them for pricing.
And ya. I'm not a big guy 5'7" so getting a 40 up on a huge lifted jeep kills me lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

BlackKnight

I believe Off Road Evolution now sells these bumpers. Might want to call them for pricing.
And ya. I'm not a big guy 5'7" so getting a 40 up on a huge lifted jeep kills me lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks, PS> forgot to mention 6'4" built like a football linebacker with a little bit of a lineman's gut..

Top Bottom