Tow rigs

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys! I think I need mud flaps for the truck. Absolutely trashed it taking it out for a test run going down the dirt roads from my a friend of mines farm where I keep it.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

That’s a lot of trailer! I just ordered some duraflap mud flaps yesterday to keep the rock chips down.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Thoughts about trailers?

I am ready to pull the trigger on a gooseneck sitting in my dealers lot but am having second thoughts. I like the idea of getting a tonneau cover for the back of the truck for secure storage when traveling and then pulling a tag trailer instead. I’m leaning both ways because they both have different possibilities.

JKbrick

Thoughts about trailers?

I am ready to pull the trigger on a gooseneck sitting in my dealers lot but am having second thoughts. I like the idea of getting a tonneau cover for the back of the truck for secure storage when traveling and then pulling a tag trailer instead. I’m leaning both ways because they both have different possibilities.

Have pulled trailers my whole driving life, had never had a gooseneck before now. Man it pulls like a dream, the turning thing is different, still learning on that. What I did was put all our luggage and stuff in Brick up on the trailer and locked it, then when we got to Where we were going I unhooked and closed the tonneau cover to drive around. The other stuff fit in the big toolbox on the trailer or in totes in the truck bed

jdofmemi

Thoughts about trailers?

While a gooseneck pulls a little bit better, I have pulled two and three axle tags for hundreds of thousands of miles. I usually had enough cargo in the truck bed that a gooseneck was not a good option.

As long as you balance the load right and keep good tires, not the ST trailer shit, on them, no problems. If you are buying one, get the upgraded tires, you will be glad. With poor quality tires, you need to limit the speed or they will cause the trailer to sway.

A low profile tilt deck is the handiest to load, but looses some versatility for using for other than hauling a rig. Good drive over fenders are a must if you go that way.

A deck over sits higher, so the load center is higher, but you have no fenders to worry with, a full width deck, and can load it with a forklift for hauling other things.

If you go that way, make sure to get good ramps that set level with the deck. Mine don't, and they suck.
Spring assist is good, again, mine don't and they suck.

Whichever you choose, if you want it to last, don't get the minimum rating to haul your rig, the axles, bearings, brakes, tires, springs, etc will all wear out or fail much sooner than if you have spare capacity. Just don't end up with one so heavy it overloads the towing capacity of your truck.

Don't get a trailer with a gvw rating that when combined with the rating on your tow rig puts it over 26000#, or you will need a CDL to be legal.

My tow rig currently is a srw F-350, with a gvw of 11,000#. My two axle is 14,000#, so it is fine, but my three axle is 18,000, so it requires a CDL.

If you plan on towing in California, the rules change and any trailer over 10,000# needs a CDL, regardless of what you tow it with.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Have pulled trailers my whole driving life, had never had a gooseneck before now. Man it pulls like a dream, the turning thing is different, still learning on that. What I did was put all our luggage and stuff in Brick up on the trailer and locked it, then when we got to Where we were going I unhooked and closed the tonneau cover to drive around. The other stuff fit in the big toolbox on the trailer or in totes in the truck bed

My last job I always had a 10 to 20’ trailer on the back of my truck and never had issues. I always had a hard tonneau cover so I could store extra stuff out of sight. I don’t like the idea of loading and unloading my Jeep and really want a good solution. I’ve been thinking of putting a job site storage box on the front of the gooseneck for the extra storage, but still not sure what I want to do.

While a gooseneck pulls a little bit better, I have pulled two and three axle tags for hundreds of thousands of miles. I usually had enough cargo in the truck bed that a gooseneck was not a good option.

As long as you balance the load right and keep good tires, not the ST trailer shit, on them, no problems. If you are buying one, get the upgraded tires, you will be glad. With poor quality tires, you need to limit the speed or they will cause the trailer to sway.

A low profile tilt deck is the handiest to load, but looses some versatility for using for other than hauling a rig. Good drive over fenders are a must if you go that way.

A deck over sits higher, so the load center is higher, but you have no fenders to worry with, a full width deck, and can load it with a forklift for hauling other things.

If you go that way, make sure to get good ramps that set level with the deck. Mine don't, and they suck.
Spring assist is good, again, mine don't and they suck.

Whichever you choose, if you want it to last, don't get the minimum rating to haul your rig, the axles, bearings, brakes, tires, springs, etc will all wear out or fail much sooner than if you have spare capacity. Just don't end up with one so heavy it overloads the towing capacity of your truck.

Don't get a trailer with a gvw rating that when combined with the rating on your tow rig puts it over 26000#, or you will need a CDL to be legal.

My tow rig currently is a srw F-350, with a gvw of 11,000#. My two axle is 14,000#, so it is fine, but my three axle is 18,000, so it requires a CDL.

If you plan on towing in California, the rules change and any trailer over 10,000# needs a CDL, regardless of what you tow it with.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

Either way I’m looking at deck over with full width spring assist ramps that lay flat all the way back. The trailers I’ve been looking at are definitely not light duty. I’ve never hauled with a gooseneck so I have no experience, but I’ve hauled 100s of thousands of miles with tag trailers. It’s really just the storage that’s throwing me off. I want to be able to put bags, spare parts, fluids, etc... somewhere. I feel like I would have more room with a tag...

bhaner

My gooseneck works well.

I do want to install some under deck storage. I do miss having my canopy on the bed of the truck to store stuff...

Things like floor jacks, spare jeep parts, DEF...

I may also buy a big locking tote for the back of the truck. There is quite a bit of room in front of the ball.

61728543_10157282819221703_1775691466174103552_o.jpg

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
My last job I always had a 10 to 20’ trailer on the back of my truck and never had issues. I always had a hard tonneau cover so I could store extra stuff out of sight. I don’t like the idea of loading and unloading my Jeep and really want a good solution. I’ve been thinking of putting a job site storage box on the front of the gooseneck for the extra storage, but still not sure what I want to do.

Either way I’m looking at deck over with full width spring assist ramps that lay flat all the way back. The trailers I’ve been looking at are definitely not light duty. I’ve never hauled with a gooseneck so I have no experience, but I’ve hauled 100s of thousands of miles with tag trailers. It’s really just the storage that’s throwing me off. I want to be able to put bags, spare parts, fluids, etc... somewhere. I feel like I would have more room with a tag...

If you’re looking for a dedicated Jeep hauler, willing to sit at deck over height and want storage for odds and ends, I’d look at something like this. And the pricing and custom options buy these guys weren’t as bad as I thought they may be.

Adjustments.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you’re looking for a dedicated Jeep hauler, willing to sit at deck over height and want storage for odds and ends, I’d look at something like this. And the pricing and custom options buy these guys weren’t as bad as I thought they may be.

View attachment 342246

I hate the idea of trailering my Jeeps for any reason but if I had to, those are pretty badass.

jdofmemi

View attachment 342246

I've never seen those. They look good. I would not want the rails on the side, but really like the storage ideas there👍

What brand are those?

jdofmemi

Top Bottom