VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - How to Install 1350 Drive Shafts on a JL WRANGLER

Aust249

Thanks for posting the video Eddie! And for explaining in real terms why the 1350 is the way to go. I was just shopping for shafts and didn’t know about the existing 1330 ujoint. JE Reel is local to me so that looks like where I’ll be heading. Cheers! :beer:

DMF

Impossible! Someone told me to only remove one control arm at a time or i will have a bad day. My head is blown now.
Great video Eddie and Cindy. Going to adjust my pinion angle now since the way you did it look so easy compare to how I do it, with ratchet straps.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I’m not doing that myself. Lol. Great video though. [emoji106]

LOL!! Only one way to learn - by doing :yup:

Cool Video!... I feel more comfortable handling my shafts now. Would this be the similar process for a JKU?

Actually, exactly the same. I guess I shouldn't have called this a JL specific video :crazyeyes:

You needed Eddie's help with that? 🤔

I think if my wife holds one end.. I can work the other end.... and I can watch the video for direction.... wait.... what?

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Very cool video. Ill start using lock tight and the rvt trick now. You can never stop learning cool tricks for working on jeeps.

Awesome, glad that I could help you out with a new trick or two :)

Thanks for posting the video Eddie! And for explaining in real terms why the 1350 is the way to go. I was just shopping for shafts and didn’t know about the existing 1330 ujoint. JE Reel is local to me so that looks like where I’ll be heading. Cheers! :beer:

Jim is a great guy and back when I was still down in the SoCal area, he's who I preferred to use :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Impossible! Someone told me to only remove one control arm at a time or i will have a bad day. My head is blown now.
Great video Eddie and Cindy. Going to adjust my pinion angle now since the way you did it look so easy compare to how I do it, with ratchet straps.

Well, to be fair, I would never pretend to know more than the next guy and that someone may know something that I don't. Can't say that I've ever had a bad day doing things like you see in the video :)

Awesome Video! Always learn a bunch of tricks watching you wrench, thank you!

Right on, so glad to hear it :)

benatc1

Hooked
Great video with lots of great info, have had Adam's in the past and they were always good, but will be doing the local driveline route when the time comes

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video with lots of great info, have had Adam's in the past and they were always good, but will be doing the local driveline route when the time comes

I highly recommend these guys.
http://drivelineandgear.com/

These guys didn't know me from Adam (see what I did there :D ) and still treated me right. Best prices I've gotten anywhere especially with Neapco u-joints and they had a super fast turnaround too. If I had time at the time, I would of had them make me a set for Jet.

benatc1

Hooked
I highly recommend these guys.
http://drivelineandgear.com/

These guys didn't know me from Adam (see what I did there :D ) and still treated me right. Best prices I've gotten anywhere especially with Neapco u-joints and they had a super fast turnaround too. If I had time at the time, I would of had them make me a set for Jet.

Tha is for the recommendation. I'll certainly give them a call when the time comes. I think I remember the post for Moby where you used them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepDad17

Another great video as usual. I've been researching drive shafts for my JKU and was looking at Adams and Tom Woods, but now I'll see what's available local to me as an option. Thanks for sharing!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Tha is for the recommendation. I'll certainly give them a call when the time comes. I think I remember the post for Moby where you used them.

Yup, here's the thread in question:
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...OBY-s-SHAFT-New-Custom-1350-Front-Drive-Shaft

Paid $369 for a custom shaft and built to my specifications and got it stupid fast. I paid Adam's a stupid $1439 both of Jet's shafts - that over $700 each! I won't say it's a rip off being that they were able to help me out in a pinch but it's hardly what I'd call a deal. It always makes me laugh when I see people who only buy based on brand name.

Another great video as usual. I've been researching drive shafts for my JKU and was looking at Adams and Tom Woods, but now I'll see what's available local to me as an option. Thanks for sharing!

As I always recommend, look for a local shop first. If you play with your Jeep, you will use them again and again. :yup:

Great video Cindy and Eddie! Thank you for showing how this is all done.

You bet. We love helping people to learn how to help themselves. :yup:

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
As always, you have provided a remarkable amount of detail and information, not to mention the great video work. I have gotten great use and knowledge from you in all things jeep. Thank you & Cindy.
That you provide pros, cons and your personal preferences for the upgrades you make to all of your family of jeeps makes a world of difference for those, such as myself, that is always looking to increase our knowledge base. Again, Thank you and Cindy for all you do for the community and YouTube viewers.

rubiDave

Good video, and per usual.

This video was for the JL but seems very similar to what I gather is done for a JK. Is there anything procedure wise that would be different on a JK?

I noticed when you checked the pinion nut rotational torque you had the tires on, I've read elsewhere you get better reading with the wheels off or even with the shafts removed. What's your take on that?

Brute

Hooked
Another well made, informative video. Watching you beat on your fuel tank with a four-pounder reminded me how satisfying it is to beat on something with the BFH...

Any tips on how to measure for a custom shaft length relative to your lift?

Ruvicon

Can’t speak for all drivelines, but when I ordered my Adams drivelines, they asked for a measurement to build it properly. Here’s a rear example:
649BFC8B-0694-4F2A-A030-B275BADDF7FF-9031-00000B2D4E0267C8.jpg

And front:
6D82C66C-EF81-4BE4-854A-6C9471EBD8DA-9031-00000B2E69482A0D.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As always, you have provided a remarkable amount of detail and information, not to mention the great video work. I have gotten great use and knowledge from you in all things jeep. Thank you & Cindy.
That you provide pros, cons and your personal preferences for the upgrades you make to all of your family of jeeps makes a world of difference for those, such as myself, that is always looking to increase our knowledge base. Again, Thank you and Cindy for all you do for the community and YouTube viewers.

Well, we really do appreciate you saying as much. In spite of what some seem to think, we're not in the business of trying to push products but rather, just want to help others where we can. We really do hope that videos like this can help them to save some money and learn a thing or two along the way. :cool:

Good video, and per usual.

This video was for the JL but seems very similar to what I gather is done for a JK. Is there anything procedure wise that would be different on a JK?

I noticed when you checked the pinion nut rotational torque you had the tires on, I've read elsewhere you get better reading with the wheels off or even with the shafts removed. What's your take on that?

I'm not trying to setup gears, I'm just trying to find where things are at so that I can get back to that point later. Most people and even shops don't even do that much. It's just an extra step I like to do for my own peace of mind.

Oh, the install on a JK is the same.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Another well made, informative video. Watching you beat on your fuel tank with a four-pounder reminded me how satisfying it is to beat on something with the BFH...

Any tips on how to measure for a custom shaft length relative to your lift?

Can’t speak for all drivelines, but when I ordered my Adams drivelines, they asked for a measurement to build it properly. Here’s a rear example:

And front:

This ^^^^ is what Adam's will need. Most shops will want something similar or the same. If you're running yokes as opposed to flanges, it'll be a bit different but similar. The biggest difference will be in how much you get charged.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Wow! That was a great video and you make it all look so painless. I do have a question about the control arms. Those JJ have the nipple for grease. I noticed you mounted both sides with the nipple up (I presume for ease of service). Does a half turn make enough difference that you would ever run nipple down (notwithstanding the greasing difficulty) to get a more even pinion/driveshaft angle?

Last edited:
Top Bottom