Motortrend calls the Gladiator’s towing characteristics, “terrifying.”

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I wouldn’t tow anything more than probably 4500 pounds with one and be comfortable doing it. I’ve tried more weight than that and on short hauls it’s ok, but I’d be worn out after a few hundred miles.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

People are thinking the JT is a full size truck and trying to tow more than it can tow. Just like People taking a 1/2 ton pickup and trying to tow with it like it's a 1 ton. I see it everyday

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

I love my Gladiator but I sure as hell didn't buy it for its towing capabilities. Sure, it can be done but that's a far cry from saying that it can be done well and with ease.

I watched a TFL Truck video towing with a Rubicon Gladiator, and a hybrid F-150. They had a proper load distribution hitch, and towed 6000 pounds at 70 mph. They had no problem with the towing characteristics.

I agree, it isn’t made for heavy duty towing, but a person should have no problem towing a travel trailer that is in the proper weight range. Of course, I speaking of random towing, and not towing on a monthly basis.

Dale can tell you all about high mileage towing of travel trailers, and there is no substitute for the proper vehicle. If you tow frequently, you need to buy a 2500 series pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:

Dale72

Hooked
I watched a TFL Truck video towing with a Rubicon Gladiator, and a hybrid F-150. They had a proper load distribution hitch, and towed 6000 pounds at 70 mph. They had no problem with the towing characteristics.

I agree, it isn’t made for heavy duty towing, but a person should have no problem towing a travel trailer that is in the proper weight range. Of course, I speaking of random towing, and not towing on a monthly basis.

Dale can tell you all about high mileage towing of travel trailers, and there is no substitute for the proper vehicle. If you tow frequently, you need to buy a 2500 series pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
Or a 3500

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Or a 3500

This is what the wife and I are looking at in a few years.

She's into horses and wants to trailer them to the trails. Also talks about getting an RV. Hell last weekend she said, "can your jeep tow" thinking to stick a horse trailer on it. I of course said "HELL NO, at least not much more than a lawn mower or motorcycle..." I told her the only safe way to do it is a 1 ton with a 5th wheel (IMO). Also told her bigger is better, if you're pulling something at or near the rated limit you're damaging the drivetrain and whatnot and reducing the lifetime of the vehicle...

I should have the JKU paid off in 3 more years. I think she's got 2 more years on her vehicle. Then 3500 here we come!

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yeah but there's some 1 tons out there with single back wheels and they can't tow the weight as the ones with duals

My 3500 Cummins HO SRW has a total towing capacity of 24,060, It’s not the dually rating of 37,000, but more than enough for me. I will say, it does eat tires channeling all that torque down to the road on a SRW, but it’s a lot more versatile than a dually. I have never noticed a stability or braking issue, but the most I’ve had behind it is 20k.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

J&k_Overland

That’s so much weight behind a pickup truck. Crazy.

I got a 26k lb engine/stand on the trailer now. Can’t imagine pulling that with a dually 1 ton

Ddays

Hooked
I see a lot of those hotshots pulling 4 & 5 cars on a carrier on the interstates all the time. Crazy.

Top Bottom