Trailer brainstorming

Been tossing around the idea of building a 2-axle offroad trailer but not sure if it can even be done or if the final result would work the way I'm wanting. I found a pic of the same concept behind an ATV but I want to try something on a slightly larger scale that can also be towed on the road. Any ideas? 1387447704140.jpg

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

Army_Vet

Banned
Been tossing around the idea of building a 2-axle offroad trailer but not sure if it can even be done or if the final result would work the way I'm wanting. I found a pic of the same concept behind an ATV but I want to try something on a slightly larger scale that can also be towed on the road. Any ideas? View attachment 60846

Anything can be done. If you don't mind me asking; Why two axle? Anything weighing enough to require 2 axles should not be towed through a hard trail. So my guess is for stability; with that being said, single axles are not known to have a problem. Two axles may be more of a hinderance when negotiating obstacles.

So back to the question, is there a reason you see for two?

Well.. goes back to something I saw last summer while camping. There was a creek crossing with a fairly deep hole that someone else was trying to negotiate with a small single axle trailer and once his wheels dropped into it his day went downhill directly. I wondered if a 2 axle would have worked better in that situation as one axle would always have better footing. The added stability is what I'm thinking of, not weight capacity as all of my camping gear combined might weigh 500lbs at the most.

Army_Vet

Banned
Well.. goes back to something I saw last summer while camping. There was a creek crossing with a fairly deep hole that someone else was trying to negotiate with a small single axle trailer and once his wheels dropped into it his day went downhill directly. I wondered if a 2 axle would have worked better in that situation as one axle would always have better footing. The added stability is what I'm thinking of, not weight capacity as all of my camping gear combined might weigh 500lbs at the most.

Well thats as good a reason as any... Im sure it can be done. I will help you brainstorm if you like

Tumbleweed

At 1:50 watch the axles rotate. I like the way the walking beam will flip over as needed.

Last edited:
I just followed a trailer down the 101 that was similar to what I'm thinking of,only slightly bigger.It was empty and we all know how rough the 101 can be. This thing didn't bounce hardly at all like my single axle trailer does. I can't think of much worse than wearing a beer that was in the cooler - which was transported in a bouncing trailer.

At 1:50 watch the axles rotate. I like the way the walking beam will flip over as needed.

Take a closer look at how they made the walking beam, it's just a plate bolted to the hub/spindle of a single axle. That might be a good starting point for allowing the axles to pivot but but would be tough to make it road worthy due to not having the two front and two rear wheels tied together. Meaning, there would be play in the alignment and it would travel down the road like bad shopping cart. Good find, Tumbleweed!:D

pastorwug

Why not a Military trailer with a pointless hitch, proven pretty well. I have one if you would like to take a look at it. Carries a lot of stuff!

SDG

Caught the Bug
If I remember correctly they make small trailers for hauling scrap and concrete that they rent at local rental yards. Maybe stop by amd see who the mfg is or if they want to get rid of an old one and you can repurpose it?

They are short little double axle trailers maybe about the footprint of a 2 man tent maybe a bit wider?

If I remember correctly they make small trailers for hauling scrap and concrete that they rent at local rental yards. Maybe stop by amd see who the mfg is or if they want to get rid of an old one and you can repurpose it?

They are short little double axle trailers maybe about the footprint of a 2 man tent maybe a bit wider?

That may have been what I was following last night.

David1tontj

I do agree that 2 axles definitely smooths things out a lot more, and I love the way that axle rotated, but I can't imagine trying to get that thing aligned!!

That Alaska trailer with the way it pivots Is cool, but also doesn't allow the tires to float over deep holes like a traditional double axle would.. You are definitely thinking outside the box!! Can't wait to see what you come up with!!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

dhughes

Banned
The two axle will also take off more of the tongue weight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

The two axle will also take off more of the tongue weight.

As I said earlier, I'm not looking to haul more weight, just thinking of stability and less bouncy is all. Not too interested in buying a trailer either, I have some grey matter and a welder. Its time for me to put both to use:eek:

dhughes

Banned
Having less tongue weight would make the jeep and trailer more stable off road I would think. Keeping it more balanced.

funfred

As I said earlier, I'm not looking to haul more weight, just thinking of stability and less bouncy is all. Not too interested in buying a trailer either, I have some grey matter and a welder. Its time for me to put both to use:eek:

If I could weld, I'd build a three-way coupler, trailing arm suspension and put surge brakes w/ a lockout solenoid on it.
A leaf from a leaf pack(cheap) could suffice as both spring and main arm of the trailing suspension(use that grey matter) and, possibly, also as a skid to keep the wheel from falling into the abyss. Add a lightly valved shock and thin sway bar for stability/control, incorporate holding tanks in the slab sides of the trailer walls, tire carrier, etc...if only I could weld. :D
Hell, it'll weigh more than the cargo I carry!

Just watched the video, and that dual axel trailer is bad ass. I would say if you do build one. Keep the axles aft of centerline. I tow a vw bug, and every time I turn a corner, it's always chirping from the tires. Looks like a fun project. You would definitely stand out from the rest.

Top Bottom