Hinrichs 3.0......Autumn the XJ

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I would look at Rusty's too. Also there is Iron Rock's 4" premium short arm kit with shocks starting at $799.

It looks like you also need frame stiffeners for these rigs too!

This is a nice rig and the front bumper really complements the XJ in my opinion.

View attachment 318720

View attachment 318721

I was looking into bumper like that but didnt want to have to cut into the ends if I needed extra clearance down the line. They sure do look good tho ! The rustys stuff is tempting.....but I think I will only be using their long arm upgrade kit.

Been looking at the same kits for my son's XJ. I really like the Rancho kit as it seems to be more complete. Most other kits you have to add stuff to and it ends up costing about the same. Go with 9000 shocks and it's about $1600 or pick less expensive shocks and your done. The shocks that come with other kits are a bit sketchy to me.

I'm thinking a Rock Hard cage instead of frame stiffeners... You get more protection, plus it also stiffens the "frame" once installed.
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

I am with you on the shock choices with most kits, they just dont seem good at all for what you are paying. I keep looking at the rancho kit, but I think I made my mind up on what I am going to start with for a lift.

I was looking at the rockhard cage as well, and while it looks perfect, the price is hard to justify on this one. I have been looking into weld in kits however and need to read more reviews on them. I do have a friend who does cages on the side and trying to figure out how to bribe him to help me figure one out for this. I need to redo the BMW cage anyway someday so why not learn starting on the jeep.

Did you build bracket that yourself? Looks like a perfect fit.

Yes I did. It took 4 trys to get to this point mainly due to what I was using being too thin at first and bending. This is kind of inspired by the JCR mount but more mounting holes. Hopefully it works well.

Last edited:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Threw on the bracket this morning, seems to fit well just need to mess around with the cable routing now

View attachment 318728
View attachment 318729

Also ordered a bumper to replace the huge one. I won’t be running a winch since I don’t really want to buy one for the Jeep and another for the trailer. Went stubby as I’m sure in time the front will get chopped up anyway.

View attachment 318730

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I like location of antenna. Reminds me of the old school ball mount. I would totally do that if I had a CJ. Stubby looks nice too!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Well I think I finally decided on a lift, going to go with Rustys 4.5" long arm kit with the upgraded competition 4 link long arm instead of the radius arms. I am glad I asked them since they can swap that out in the kit for no additional cost. I am sure the shocks really arent that great, but it should be fine starting out. Figure I should just get a real lift so I can actually wheel it and enjoy it, then eventually do the axle swap and get a little crazier with the build. No point in the jeep just sitting behind my house for a while.

Sheaffadelic

Caught the Bug
Well I think I finally decided on a lift, going to go with Rustys 4.5" long arm kit with the upgraded competition 4 link long arm instead of the radius arms. I am glad I asked them since they can swap that out in the kit for no additional cost. I am sure the shocks really arent that great, but it should be fine starting out. Figure I should just get a real lift so I can actually wheel it and enjoy it, then eventually do the axle swap and get a little crazier with the build. No point in the jeep just sitting behind my house for a while.

good to know...

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
When that Turdy5 craps out on ya just go to the junk yard and find an 8.8 from an explorer. Disc brakes and 31 spline shafts. Some even have limited slips. Be a solid axle for 35s.
Love me some XJ builds. 🤙🤙

Acutally checking the interwebs again I was wrong, I actually have the Chrysler 8.25 rear not a 35. Either way still not too good haha.

Also was surprised checking my ups emails today, my bumper shows up tomorrow which is exciting. Hopefully I can put the Bmw outside for a few hours this weekend and get some
Paint on it.

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Cb is in finally, just need to zip tie the wires

IMG_4052.jpg

Did a little trimming tonight

IMG_4048.jpg

Pulled the bumper, wow it was heavy

IMG_4051.jpg

Could be rubbing up front still, maybe pinch welds? I’ll try and have my girlfriend watch tomorrow....but i noticed something weird about my front axle shafts

IMG_4053.jpg
IMG_4054.jpg

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Just replaced the seals on the boy's Jeep a few weeks ago. Not horrible, just messy. 😎
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Looks like different shafts to me, not looking at what could be a seal

So what mix tape are you rocking in the Jeep??

I’d have to imagine getting that beast of a front bumper off had to help that front end come back up a bit.

I forget what the tape is but I wish I could listen to it, sadly the radio is just sitting there with no wiring at all.

Is that a cracker in your vent?

Looks like gum

I think its an old air freshner

Is that a potato on the shifter?
Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Your the 3rd person who has said/asked that. Its one of those rock knobs that quadratec sells. Got it as a present years ago

Top Bottom