Is this Dana Spicer 1310 Driveshaft too long?

porter

It looks like this Dana Spicer 1310 driveshaft is too long to me but I'm not a mechanic. There is no compression left in the expansion joint and this pic is taken at ride height. I have a 4" lift and this driveshaft was sold as the right size for a 2 to 4" lift. I could not find a contact line for aftermarket parts support for Dana so I was hoping someone with more experience might point me in the right direction. Thanks! 20190503_103848.jpg

rubiDave

Doesn't look right. I have several inches of spline showing at normal height. I believe the driveline gets shorter when the axle drops so your going to have problems.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yes, that is way too long. There should be 3-4” of movement for up travel or you would damage you TC. Image1556904414.042491.jpg

That’s my 1350 front on a 4” lift with 4” of available compression.

I would remove that shaft prior to driving it and have it cut down. The best thing is to find a local shop and have them measure and cut the DS to the correct length for your Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

porter

Thanks for confirming. I guess that explains the problems I've been having with the transfer case. The linkage keeps popping off. I'll need to take it back to the rock shop that installed it and get them to shorten the drive shaft.

jesse3638

Hooked
Thanks for confirming. I guess that explains the problems I've been having with the transfer case. The linkage keeps popping off. I'll need to take it back to the rock shop that installed it and get them to shorten the drive shaft.

If a shop installed that I wouldn't go back to them. They should have caught that and never installed it let alone have you drive off with it. I'd have then check for other damage as well.

porter

If a shop installed that I wouldn't go back to them. They should have caught that and never installed it let alone have you drive off with it. I'd have then check for other damage as well.

Yes my thoughts also. The story is that I've been driving it this way for about 6 months including a 1,000 mile trip to Moab including class 6 trails. After one of the trails the linkage popped off when shifting back to 2WD. At that time I also noticed fluid leaking out of the transfer case. Since I have the lifetime powertrain warranty I took it to the dealer. They found the transfer case linkage seal was leaking and replaced both the linkage and the seal. They also found one of the bolts that mounts the transmission to the cross member was missing.

I am no mechanic but I've been trying to put 2 and 2 together for a while and got lucky when I was greasing the driveshaft in noticing the slip joint had no travel left. I'm surprised both the rock shop and the dealer did not catch it. I'll take it back to the shop and ask them to fix it. And I will be careful not to go back to that shop again after that.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Not surprising about the dealership. They don’t deal with modified vehicles everyday. That shop that put it in is responsible for for all your headaches and I would not go back. Even to have them fix their mistakes.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Yes my thoughts also. The story is that I've been driving it this way for about 6 months including a 1,000 mile trip to Moab including class 6 trails. After one of the trails the linkage popped off when shifting back to 2WD. At that time I also noticed fluid leaking out of the transfer case. Since I have the lifetime powertrain warranty I took it to the dealer. They found the transfer case linkage seal was leaking and replaced both the linkage and the seal. They also found one of the bolts that mounts the transmission to the cross member was missing.

I am no mechanic but I've been trying to put 2 and 2 together for a while and got lucky when I was greasing the driveshaft in noticing the slip joint had no travel left. I'm surprised both the rock shop and the dealer did not catch it. I'll take it back to the shop and ask them to fix it. And I will be careful not to go back to that shop again after that.

You’re fortunate you didn’t destroy your transfer case.

porter

The install shop sent the driveshaft out to be narrowed and this is what I got back. It seems well balanced. 20190515_182031.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom