PSC Ram assist 2014 JKU

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
....and once again, my 2009 "classic iron" has a benefit over these high-brow, fancy, smancy 3.6L pentastar Jeeps ;)

I am on my third power steering pump over the course of 4 1/2 years on my build. The first one lasted halfway back home (200 miles??) from Off Road Evolution, on the day I picked up my jeep after its was complete. PSC sent one out the next day and I swapped it out at home. This second one lasted three years.....at least up until we did the Florence Junction run in May 2012, that Moby, Powerline Patrol and EVO1 took part in. This power steering pump (#2) burned up in the 100 plus degree temps that weekend (so did EVO1's), but would only 'fade out' when it got really hot. In fact that run was in early May and I parked the jeep until September, then did the 2012 JK Experience and finally had to change out pump #2 in the parking lot of the hotel in Silver Lake Michgan. Once again PSC overnighted a new pump (#3) to me. Now this third power steering pump is not a remanufactered one like the other two, this third pump is PSC's on version, it looks more like a billet milled/machined pump rather than a cast model like the others. September will be two years on this pump (#3) and so far no issues.

I do run the reservoir, it sits in front of my LS7 SBC (pay no attention to the 3.8L stickers on intake

:cheesy:

While I do love the extra power of the 3.6L motor, I will have to say that we have had our fair share of problems with it. First the head issue which sucked and now this oil burning issue. Guess that's what you get with a first gen high-brow, fancy, smancy Pentastar motor :crazyeyes:

GCM 2

:cheesy:

While I do love the extra power of the 3.6L motor, I will have to say that we have had our fair share of problems with it. First the head issue which sucked and now this oil burning issue. Guess that's what you get with a first gen high-brow, fancy, smancy Pentastar motor :crazyeyes:

I need to lay low on the cheap shots and touting my "Classic Iron" for the second time in a week......I feel karma giving me the stink eye :icon_crazy:

ttfhell

What kind of issues? What should those of us running CAI expect to see go wrong?

Fully stretched out timing chain on Evolander.
High oil consumption on Rubicat.
Extremely high consumption on mine. Like a quart every 100 miles, new engine high.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Fully stretched out timing chain on Evolander.
High oil consumption on Rubicat.
Extremely high consumption on mine. Like a quart every 100 miles, new engine high.

You forgot Chris. He ended up needing to get a new motor as well.

EDIT: Actually, he was still running a factory air box. I think his General Lee imitation may have had something to do with his problem :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Dealer installed Mopar intake. Chrysler wouldn't warranty at 18,000 miles. Put my DTD purchase way back.

Totally sucks. If my consumption problem stays where it's at, I can deal with it but, if it gets any worse, I may be in the market for a new motor too. :rolleyes2:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

EDIT: Actually, he was still running a factory air box. I think his General Lee imitation may have had something to do with his problem :crazyeyes:

Yup, it burned 4 qts in about 300 miles. The main bearings were oblong, internals were covered in metal shavings.

ttfhell

I actually had typed him on the list but wasn't sure on the airbox and removed him before I posted. Want to keep it real lol

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I have a hard time believing that the rings and cylinder sleeves where destroyed SO badly with dirt that STILL went through an air filter that you literally honed the short block to a point where it burns more oil than a 2 stroke. Is it possible that our 3.6L engines just stink when under load? Stretched timing chains and oblong main shaft sounds more like wear you get from heavy loads. Some of the rigs running 37, 38, & 40" wheels with extreme gearing run at high RPM's and have loads that simulate a perpetual trailer attached to the hitch of our rigs. Think its possible that Chrysler just didnt design the Pentastars to function over extended perioids under heavy load and medium RPM's?

Regardless, Im not messing with my airbox now. Need to figure out some fancy smanshy way of mounting the a reservoir in a unique spot that all the guys with unlimited budget rigs havent figured out already.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I have a hard time believing that the rings and cylinder sleeves where destroyed SO badly with dirt that STILL went through an air filter that you literally honed the short block to a point where it burns more oil than a 2 stroke. Is it possible that our 3.6L engines just stink when under load? Stretched timing chains and oblong main shaft sounds more like wear you get from heavy loads. Some of the rigs running 37, 38, & 40" wheels with extreme gearing run at high RPM's and have loads that simulate a perpetual trailer attached to the hitch of our rigs. Think its possible that Chrysler just didnt design the Pentastars to function over extended perioids under heavy load and medium RPM's?

Regardless, Im not messing with my airbox now. Need to figure out some fancy smanshy way of mounting the a reservoir in a unique spot that all the guys with unlimited budget rigs havent figured out already.

The other common factor with the above rigs is that they were all running synthetic oil in their engines (at least I am pretty sure on that).

One member "Majik" mounted his PSC reservoir in the factory location with a snorkle. Presumable there is enough room to mount it there with the factory box as well, but I haven't tried to fit it there yet. It does take a little bit of modifcation.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

The 3.6L power and is in the higher rpm's. If it wasn't designed to run there why is the power band there?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The other common factor with the above rigs is that they were all running synthetic oil in their engines (at least I am pretty sure on that).

This was definitely true for me. I have since moved back to dino and have found the consumption to be less now.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

One member "Majik" mounted his PSC reservoir in the factory location with a snorkle. Presumable there is enough room to mount it there with the factory box as well, but I haven't tried to fit it there yet. It does take a little bit of modifcation.

Negative ghost rider. He has an airraid intake.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1400703882.568838.jpg

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
The 3.6L power and is in the higher rpm's. If it wasn't designed to run there why is the power band there?

I think (just my opinion) most mfg's design for the "standard deviation " from the mean. Meaning if our rigs represent the rare exception their target demographic, perhaps they haven't designed for those load scenarios....just conjecture. Seems that most here have covered most possibilities anyways.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I think (just my opinion) most mfg's design for the "standard deviation " from the mean. Meaning if our rigs represent the rare exception their target demographic, perhaps they haven't designed for those load scenarios....just conjecture. Seems that most here have covered most possibilities anyways.

I might buy Chryslers claims if the same issue didn't happen four times with four intakes. The design flaw is in the motor and Chrysler not honoring an issue that is not the users fault.

Top Bottom