20" Slab Beadlocks -- or.....?

Astroman

So I've started Phase 2 of my build with the order of my full width PR 60/80 axles and am now trying to decide which beadlock wheel/ 40" tire combo to go with. I see that most folks running 40s use a 17" Beadlock. However, I was always inspired by Moby's set up when he was shod with 20X10 ATX slabs and Nitto Mud Grapplers -- the aspect ratio aesthetics really appealing to me:

JK Moby.jpg

The only drawback is the limited tire selection. Other than the Nittos, Toyo makes a 40x15.5 in their ever popular Open Country MT (which I run now in a 37). Do I really want to go 15.5 wide? Eddie O. said he was never really happy being that wide on full width axles as that can be limiting on some trails. I can go to a 13.5 width in a Maxxis Razr MT, but not much else is available in the narrower 13.5 width for 20" wheels.

What do ya'll think? :hmm:

SDG

Caught the Bug
I prefer the extra 1.5" of sidewall myself. 20" will give less sidewall roll when going into corners quick, but I have been very pleased with the 17s

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Astroman

I prefer the extra 1.5" of sidewall myself. 20" will give less sidewall roll when going into corners quick, but I have been very pleased with the 17s

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah -- sidewall height was another consideration I pondered -- I didn't want a "low profile" tire that maybe would not conform to rocks as well when I air down, but as it turns out, the 40x15.5 gives me the same sidewall height as my current 37x13.5s.

AdrockTT

I researched the heck out of a 40" tire on 20" wheel setup as this was my original plan. After lots of time, research, reading, hypothesizing, and tallying up the costs/efforts - I have 40"s Toyos on 17" TRs. Smaller tire selection, significantly extra cost on both tires and wheels, hard to get right backspacing, less sidewall (though I do agree - the look is nice and it isn't a dramatic difference), etc.

I do know Eddie and others who went with the 40"s on 20"s really loved the setup and that this comes with little overall sacrifice once "said and done" - just have to decide if you want to pony up the cost and deal with what tires are available.

Jeepy

I have 17x9 kmc machete bead locks and will be going 37 13.5. I feel that anything above 17 doesnt belong on the jeep but thats just me. More tire options available and overall look is awesome as far as tire/wheel ratio.

Sent from my LG-M257 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Astroman

I researched the heck out of a 40" tire on 20" wheel setup as this was my original plan. After lots of time, research, reading, hypothesizing, and tallying up the costs/efforts - I have 40"s Toyos on 17" TRs. Smaller tire selection, significantly extra cost on both tires and wheels, hard to get right backspacing, less sidewall (though I do agree - the look is nice and it isn't a dramatic difference), etc.

I do know Eddie and others who went with the 40"s on 20"s really loved the setup and that this comes with little overall sacrifice once "said and done" - just have to decide if you want to pony up the cost and deal with what tires are available.

You pretty much summed up the trade space! What it's coming down to is personal preference -- which historically, if more expensive, I'm usually willing to spend the extra dough for. I'm now leaning heavily (though still very much undecided) toward the 20x10 Slabs with either the Toyo Open Country 40x15.5 or Nitto Trail Grappler (maybe Mud Grapplers, but the road noise!) in the same size. Since I'm doing a 6.4 Hemi conversion in March, I'm not as worried about the extra tire mass.

Congrats on your build -- awesome! :rock:

Last edited:

Astroman

I have 17x9 kmc machete bead locks and will be going 37 13.5. I feel that anything above 17 doesnt belong on the jeep but thats just me. More tire options available and overall look is awesome as far as tire/wheel ratio.

Sent from my LG-M257 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I really like those KMC wheels and if I go 17s, I think the Machete's will be my choice. Until I saw Moby with 20' wheels, I felt the same way as you about a larger diameter wheels. My nephew who wheels with me was also very adamant about staying with 17s for better tire-to-wheel ratio aesthetics, which he prefers, but he, like me changed his mind when he saw some of the pics of Moby on 20's.

JK Moby 1.jpg

Oh well, it's not that crucial a decision that it's worth agonizing over, as I can always change things afterwards (at some expense!).

AdrockTT

You pretty much summed up the trade space! What it's coming down to is personal preference -- which historically, if more expensive, I'm usually willing to spend the extra dough for. I'm now leaning heavily (though still very much undecided) toward the 20x10 Slabs with either the Toyo Open Country 40x15.5 or Nitto Trail Grappler (maybe Mud Grapplers, but the road noise!) in the same size. Since I'm doing a 6.4 Hemi conversion in March, I'm not as worried about the extra tire mass.

Congrats on your build -- awesome! :rock:

Thanks! I wasn't even sure they were still making the 20x10 wheel pros stuff (KMC, ATM, but BTW - they also make the standard XD wheels, bling Asanti, Lorenzo, etc. and are China produced...). Glad there's at least a cheaper 20" solution. The 20" Trail Ready's look killer and are totally customizable, but def $$$$$!
http://secure.trbeadlocks.com/HD20x9beadlockedwheel-1.aspx

I wouldn't fear 40x15.5s on the 20s unless you want to run really tight trails. Do make sure you have backspacing and axle width correct so you don't have interference with the steering/suspension components.

I need to update my build thread, but I'm supercharged now on the 40s. I daily drove the Jeep the last 2 months with 20-30 mile commutes at 80-85 MPH on the highway with no problems :)
I would def consider/recommend Nitto MTs over the Mud Graps if you care about the road noise!!

Top Bottom