Bolt on portals

Scrambler

Volkswagen and Mercedes have been running these for many years, albeit, on off road vehicles. It's not a new concept. If you have a trailer queen and want something different then go for it. I just see another moving part with the potential to break or wear out and also something to do routine maintenance too. If you've got a hole burning in your pocket, then I'd say,"Heck yea! Buy the dang things." I'd love to see some up close and personal shots of them in action and the install process.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

boardsurfer

giphy.gif

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
You actually don't need to upgrade axles for larger ring and pinion, one of the best parts of the portals is the gear reduction so u can run smaller ring and pinion. The tubes on other hand with the extra portal weight u might need to upgrade.

Beyond that, what year is your jk? If you have a 12+ auto you cannot run them. None that i am aware of have the speed sensors so you'd be stuck in limp mode. In 07-11 and 12+ manual you just won't have your speedo, again at least with all the ones I know of.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
You actually don't need to upgrade axles for larger ring and pinion, one of the best parts of the portals is the gear reduction so u can run smaller ring and pinion. The tubes on other hand with the extra portal weight u might need to upgrade.

^^this. Portals are awesome but given the known weakness of stock axles I don't think it would be long till you broke the front axle housing.

Great Pumkin

Why do you need portal axles though is the question? Sure they reduce the gearing and provide some added ground clearance, but you'd come off cheaper re-gearing your current axles and installing a good quality suspension lift. If you're going for the "wow" factor only, then sure portal axles would turn some heads and raise some eyebrows, but what's truly the point of them?

It just seemed it would be nice to get the xtra clearance without having a higher drive shaft angle. I may be thinking this wrong but it just seemed to make sense.

2012 Sahara

Great Pumkin

Beyond that, what year is your jk? If you have a 12+ auto you cannot run them. None that i am aware of have the speed sensors so you'd be stuck in limp mode. In 07-11 and 12+ manual you just won't have your speedo, again at least with all the ones I know of.

Mine is a 12. What would cause it to go into limp mode? Is the gearing just crazy low?

2012 Sahara

Great Pumkin

^^this. Portals are awesome but given the known weakness of stock axles I don't think it would be long till you broke the front axle housing.

That's what I was worried about. And it seems if I have to upgrade the entire axle it may be better to go with something different? Just an idea.

2012 Sahara

Great Pumkin

From what I'm hearing on here it sounds like portals wouldn't be ideal for my type of driving. I do more overland for fishing and hunting in wyoming and montana mountains. I also don't want to have to trailer to the trails.

2012 Sahara

FallonJeeper

I'm familiar with Axletech International Motorsports portals, bolted onto Ruffstuff 9"axles. Raced with them and never had an issue. Just make sure the Cs are gusseted. They ARE heavy. But very tuff.
I've thought about putting them on my J10.

Great Pumkin

I'm familiar with Axletech International Motorsports portals, bolted onto Ruffstuff 9"axles. Raced with them and never had an issue. Just make sure the Cs are gusseted. They ARE heavy. But very tuff.
I've thought about putting them on my J10.

Awesome!! So would you suggest them for everyday driving and wheeling?

2012 Sahara

FallonJeeper

they were originally a military application. Developed for heavy use on heavy vehicles. Driving them on a JK or other relatively light vehicle wouldn't wear on them much. They are 8 lug though. We used Hummer rims to reduce scrub.

Top Bottom