Bolt on portals

J

JKDream

they were originally a military application. Developed for heavy use on heavy vehicles. Driving them on a JK or other relatively light vehicle wouldn't wear on them much. They are 8 lug though. We used Hummer rims to reduce scrub.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app
I don't know if I agree with that at all. A stock axle would fall apart VERY quickly. Shit it even bends on 35s.. retarded idea imo

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

FallonJeeper

like I said, I'm only familiar with them installed on a RuffStuff 9".

Never an issue with axle bending.

While you could definitely use it for daily driving, and would be the only kid on the block with that setup.

The fab work and money involved to get it where you want it might be prohibitive.

But nobody said anything about budget. I just mention it as an option. Also consider some other portals run backwards and require the engine transmission located in the rear.

J

JKDream

like I said, I'm only familiar with them installed on a RuffStuff 9".

Never an issue with axle bending.

While you could definitely use it for daily driving, and would be the only kid on the block with that setup.

The fab work and money involved to get it where you want it might be prohibitive.

But nobody said anything about budget. I just mention it as an option. Also consider some other portals run backwards and require the engine transmission located in the rear.

That is a completely different axle than what he is asking about.
Even on the street I wouldn't recommend it. Push a stock axle hard enough - and it WILL break instead of bending.
Sounds like a great idea to me for something that travels on the highway.. :rolleyes2:

FallonJeeper

But don't take my word for it. Google axletech portals. You'll find threads on it in other off road web sites. Everything from use in racing to daily drivers.
My take is people either love them or hate them.
I think there was even an article in Four Wheeler Magazine back in 2009.

Great Pumkin

they were originally a military application. Developed for heavy use on heavy vehicles. Driving them on a JK or other relatively light vehicle wouldn't wear on them much. They are 8 lug though. We used Hummer rims to reduce scrub.

Thanks for all the insight! I'll keep you in the loop on what I decide to do

2012 Sahara

ThatChemicalGuy

That is a completely different axle than what he is asking about.
Even on the street I wouldn't recommend it. Push a stock axle hard enough - and it WILL break instead of bending.
Sounds like a great idea to me for something that travels on the highway.. :rolleyes2:
Any axle can break if you push it hard enough lol

Sent from my SM-G935U using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

Any axle can break if you push it hard enough lol

Sent from my SM-G935U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Still irrelevant to the point - the stock axle is nowhere near strong enough to handle portals.
The amount of extra stress it puts on the housing is a LOT - and they are already prone to bending.
OP sounds like he just wants to hear "buy them" anyway so it's a moot point.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Still irrelevant to the point - the stock axle is nowhere near strong enough to handle portals.
The amount of extra stress it puts on the housing is a LOT - and they are already prone to bending.
OP sounds like he just wants to hear "buy them" anyway so it's a moot point.

Agreed, I think the point here is the stock axle wouldn't need to be pushed any extra at all to bend or break with portals.

J

JKDream

Agreed, that's why I recommended a non stock axle housing like a Ruffstuff 9".

There are examples of vehicles using a Dana 60 with no issues.

Yes, and while that may be true - your posts are a bit misleading.
He didn't mention a 60 upgrade, and unless he's talking about Dynatracs portal setup which I don't believe he is. - I wouldn't be recommending it for the setup he has.
You mentioned you only had experience with Portals on a Ruffstuff 9" - you didn't advise against running them on a Dana 30
Not trying to flame you, but I would honestly feel bad for the OP to spend a shit ton of money on Portals for a factory axle, just to break it.

Driving them on a JK or other relatively light vehicle wouldn't wear on them much.

Last edited by a moderator:

FallonJeeper

Yes, and while that may be true - your posts are a bit misleading.
He didn't mention a 60 upgrade, and unless he's talking about Dynatracs portal setup which I don't believe he is. - I wouldn't be recommending it for the setup he has.
You mentioned you only had experience with Portals on a Ruffstuff 9" - you didn't advise against running them on a Dana 30
Not trying to flame you, but I would honestly feel bad for the OP to spend a shit ton of money on Portals for a factory axle, just to break it.
I was referring to wear on the portals not on the axle housing. Please read what I posted. I didn't mislead anybody. I only suggested using a Ruff stuff axle. I never said to run on a stock axle. I only mentioned Dana60 as there are articles where those were used with no issues.

Ddays

Hooked
OP never answered Overlanders question on page 1: Why?
There are so many better options out there for JK's that frankly considering bolt on portals seems slightly retarded. OP, what are you after that you are considering portals in the first place? Take a gander at any of the JKX videos Eddie &Cindy produced and see what these Jeeps are capable of WITHOUT portal axles.

Great Pumkin

OP never answered Overlanders question on page 1: Why?
There are so many better options out there for JK's that frankly considering bolt on portals seems slightly retarded. OP, what are you after that you are considering portals in the first place? Take a gander at any of the JKX videos Eddie &Cindy produced and see what these Jeeps are capable of WITHOUT portal axles.

Lots of good feedback. Pretty obvious I would need an axle upgrade first. And at that point I would think I could get more bang for the buck with just better axles. I like the portal idea because of the clearance it makes sense. But as many have said with the right setup the jeep capabilities are amazing. Thanks for all the feedback. First things first it looks like I need new axles. I'm sure there are a lot of opinions on what to go with so if you guys have any experience with different options I would love to hear it.

2012 Sahara

Ddays

Hooked
OP, I think you need to step back, take a deep breath, put your wallet away for the moment & ask yourself what you want out of your Jeep. What size tires do you want to end up with and what kind of wheeling are you looking at doing? Once you figure that out then you can look at whether or not you even need axles.

Edit: re-read some of this thread. If you're into overloading will you be looking at going bigger than a 37" tire? If not, I'd throw a Dynatrac PR44 under the front & call it a day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom