Experinces with Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sure is strange. Granted I don't consider myself self a hardcore wheeler at all and I've only run 33s on these stt pros, but I probably ran at least 20 trails this year with no issues and several others the previous year that I ran these. I also have personal friends that run these as well as many other members here on the forum run them. The only other issue I've heard of was Eddie, but in his case, he ran over a rogue branch.

I'm assuming that these are load Es ?

The 40's are Load Range C. My failure was caused by me PURPOSEFULLY pushing into a bush on an extremely narrow off camber shelf road. I didn't seen the sharp tree limb in the foliage and that lanced my sidewall.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt fast at all, i was behind him the whole time and it was slow crawling all weekend.

Sooooooooo, what caused it then? What were you doing BEFORE it went OR, are you really suggesting it Just happened out of the blue?

Not trying to say that sidewalls don't fail but really, it's kind of BS to just say that this tire failed without explaining what happened. If none of you really know, you guys kind of suck at wheeling.

Benito

Caught the Bug
Sooooooooo, what caused it then? What were you doing BEFORE it went OR, are you really suggesting it Just happened out of the blue?

Not trying to say that sidewalls don't fail but really, it's kind of BS to just say that this tire failed without explaining what happened. If none of you really know, you guys kind of suck at wheeling.

We were going over obstacles and met up with the rest of the group when one of them noticed the gash, it didn’t start losing pressure until we started rolling again. I’m not going to say that there aren’t sharp rocks at wolf caves but most of everything is rounded. We had just ran the obstacle where mike bent his sliders.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We were going over obstacles and met up with the rest of the group when one of them noticed the gash, it didn’t start losing pressure until we started rolling again. I’m not going to say that there aren’t sharp rocks at wolf caves but most of everything is rounded. We had just ran the obstacle where mike bent his sliders.

The photo I see looks like a pinch rupture. You only get something like this IF you're driving like a dumbass and smashing into rocks while running too little air in your tires. You don't need to be going crazy fast, just fast enough to cause your rim to pinch the rubber. When I hear these tires were run at 10 psi, I have to wonder WHY? Is that some kind of magical number because as ANYONE should know, you should only air down as much as is NEEDED. Due to how the Coopers are designed, you only need to air down to about 15 psi to make it look like a Trail Grappler running 8 psi. How do I know? I run BOTH.

Again, if a driver doesn't know what caused a sidewall failure, the failure was caused by him.

It's possible that the split in the sidewall happened at some point and noone realized it until later in the day? Maybe a crazy thought, but I don't know? I was driving within eyesight of everyone on this trail. Your question of what were we doing before it went? All we were doing was wheeling our jeeps in rocks, just like everyone else does. But I guess we suck at wheeling...that explains everything. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's possible that the split in the sidewall happened at some point and noone realized it until later in the day? Maybe a crazy thought, but I don't know? I was driving within eyesight of everyone on this trail. Your question of what were we doing before it went? All we were doing was wheeling our jeeps in rocks, just like everyone else does. But I guess we suck at wheeling...that explains everything. :thumb:

Oh please, do we really need to go there? Do we always have to descend into tribalism just because a guy you wheeled with is being questioned? Look Mike, I like you a lot and I mean that. If you were just wheeling your Jeeps over rocks, cool - all I was asking is what rock did the driver think caused the failure. I would think EVERYONE would want to know. It's how we LEARN. But hey, if ya'll want to say that the tires just suck - whatever.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't say that. I'm just saying that I've both seen and read about several Cooper sidewall failures in just the last few months alone. Take that as you will. I'm glad you've had good luck with Coopers.

LOL!! Funny, I don't recall ever saying that I've never had a failure with Coopers. In fact, unlike some, I posted all about mine and explained what happened. This, just like I have with my Nittos and Goodyears and just about ANY tire that I've ever run. It's what I do - share good information with others, not just say that something sucks.

Oh please, do we really need to go there? Do we always have to descend into tribalism just because a guy you wheeled with is being questioned? Look Mike, I like you a lot and I mean that. If you were just wheeling your Jeeps over rocks, cool - all I was asking is what rock did the driver think caused the failure. I would think EVERYONE would want to know. It's how we LEARN. But hey, if ya'll want to say that the tires just suck - whatever.

I’m not saying the tires suck. I run the exact same 40” tire and wheel set up and I was fine. What I’m saying is he’s being flamed for being pissed about 2 failed tires in 7 wheeling trips. And you assumed that (1) he wasn’t wheeling correctly. And (2) everyone else with him can’t wheel either because we didn’t notice a split sidewall until hours later. We literally drove over rocks for 2 straight days and you’re asking which rock did it. Needle in a haystack really.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Benito

Caught the Bug
LOL!! Funny, I don't recall ever saying that I've never had a failure with Coopers. In fact, unlike some, I posted all about mine and explained what happened. This, just like I have with my Nittos and Goodyears and just about ANY tire that I've ever run. It's what I do - share good information with others, not just say that something sucks.

Nobody here has said the tires sucked, they just shared their experience with these tires

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’m not saying the tires suck. I run the exact same 40” tire and wheel set up and I was fine. What I’m saying is he’s being flamed for being pissed about 2 failed tires in 7 wheeling trips. And you assumed that (1) he wasn’t wheeling correctly. And (2) everyone else with him can’t wheel either because we didn’t notice a split sidewall until hours later. We literally drove over rocks for 2 straight days and you’re asking which rock did it. Needle in a haystack really.

Clearly, wheeling with this guy makes him some kind of blood brother but please put your emotions in check for just a second.

1. Re-read what I said and you'll realize that I never said anything of the sort.
2. Again, re-read what I was saying and you will see that I NEVER mentioned ANYONE but the driver.

Yes, I've asked questions - that does NOT = flaming.

Yes, I did suggest that your friend sucks as a driver IF he doesn't have a clue as to what might of caused the failure. He could have EASILY come back with SOME IDEA - ANYTHING. But alas, he just came back with some BS response. You can call that "flaming" but for me, I'm just calling it like I see it. I bet you'd have an idea what caused a sidewall failure if it happened to you.

aTX427

Guys relax - it's only a tire. No need to take it personal. Eddie, you may be right. Its a new tire to the market, so maybe they need double digits.

It sounds like 15psi works for you and the tire at 6750lbs with a mix of high speed and crawling. I'm a good 1500lbs lighter fully loaded and all we did was technical crawling. 15 psi doesn't even bulge the tires on my rig. 10 psi felt good in the rocks and still had minimum bulge at rest. Keep in mind, the tires only have about 100 street miles. But it doesn't seem like these tires can't handle low psi on a 5000lb rig.

We did more ascending then decending and it was the front passenger tire that split this time - front driver the last. I have 500lbs more weight bias front to rear.

I'm glad to give data points and like the tires. They had excellent grip right up to the point they ultimately failed. The only reason I posted this is to provide others with additional data points before they make the decision to buy then or not. Every tire has examples of failure.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nobody here has said the tires sucked, they just shared their experience with these tires

Ummm, I was being facetious.

As far as experience goes, I must have missed that part. All I've heard was that you guys were on a trail and ya'll just noticed that the tire had a tear in the sidewall. That's a lot like saying the sky is blue but, I digress. :rolleyes2:

Clearly, wheeling with this guy makes him some kind of blood brother but please put your emotions in check for just a second.

1. Re-read what I said and you'll realize that I never said anything of the sort.
2. Again, re-read what I was saying and you will see that I NEVER mentioned ANYONE but the driver.

How else is this supposed to be taken?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like 15psi works for you and the tire at 6750lbs with a mix of high speed and crawling. I'm a good 1500lbs lighter fully loaded and all we did was technical crawling. 15 psi doesn't even bulge the tires on my rig.

Funny, this is what 20 psi looks like on my Coopers.

20161014155020-971d7011-me.jpg

BaddestCross

I also didn't say you've never had a failure nor did I accuse you of not being transparent when you did. I only pointed out what I've seen in person and read about here as well as other places.

My decision to stay with Nitto is based on personal experience as well as others that beat on their tires much harder than I do.

My statements were not a personal attack against you. I'm sincerely happy you like your Coopers and very glad your overall experience with them has been good. I'm sure you wouldn't have purchased another set for your new Jeep if you doubted their quality. 🍻

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Top Bottom