Experinces with Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's

LOL!! Like a flippin challenge. To make you THINK back and to try and figure out what might of caused the failure. :naw:

Hmmm...that’s a funny interpretation of this. But it came from your mouth so it must be true.

Not trying to say that sidewalls don't fail but really, it's kind of BS to just say that this tire failed without explaining what happened. If none of you really know, you guys kind of suck at wheeling.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I also didn't say you've never had a failure nor did I accuse you of not being transparent when you did. I only pointed out what I've seen in person and read about here as well as other places.

My decision to stay with Nitto is based on personal experience as well as others that beat on their tires much harder than I do.

My statements were not a personal attack against you. I'm sincerely happy you like your Coopers and very glad your overall experience with them has been good. I'm sure you wouldn't have purchased another set for your new Jeep if you doubted their quality. 🍻

LOL!! I don't think you and I have a problem here and I apologize if it came across like that. As you know, I have run Nittos for years and like ANY tire, I've had my fair share of failures with them. On our last whiskey trip, 2 of the Jeeps running Nittos had failures and I'm pretty sure I posted up about this - it happens.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm...that’s a funny interpretation of this. But it came from your mouth so it must be true.

LOL!! There's nothing to interpret. I was kicking you guys in the nuts with the hopes you'd come up with a better answer than just pussying out, throwing your hands up in the air and letting me call you guys bitches.

Come on man....

aTX427

Clearly, wheeling with this guy makes him some kind of blood brother but please put your emotions in check for just a second.

1. Re-read what I said and you'll realize that I never said anything of the sort.
2. Again, re-read what I was saying and you will see that I NEVER mentioned ANYONE but the driver.

Yes, I've asked questions - that does NOT = flaming.

Yes, I did suggest that your friend sucks as a driver IF he doesn't have a clue as to what might of caused the failure. He could have EASILY come back with SOME IDEA - ANYTHING. But alas, he just came back with some BS response. You can call that "flaming" but for me, I'm just calling it like I see it. I bet you'd have an idea what caused a sidewall failure if it happened to you.

Had the tire lost pressure when it split, I could probably provide more information, but it held pressure after the tire sliced. Everything we did was technical that day - start to finish and i didn't notice until someone else pointed out the damage.

I didn't have to be winched out or get stuck, so there wasn't an ah-ha moment I can refer to. I can tell you that if there was a trail I could point to it was the flag pole run, the first run of the first day, but it certainly did not happen there. My guess would be the trail were Mike was hung up, because we noticed it shortly thereafter, but I cleared the obstacle without an issue. On that particular trail, the far side you can't see on the picture had a steep v-notched angle, which put a lot of pressure on the sidewall, but that was the drivers side. There were numerous places were the boulders rolled as we went over them. Any one of them could have tore the tire. The tire failed - no big deal. It's only a tire.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Had the tire lost pressure when it split, I could probably provide more information, but it held pressure after the tire sliced. Everything we did was technical that day - start to finish and i didn't notice until someone else pointed out the damage.

I didn't have to be winched out or get stuck, so there wasn't an ah-ha moment I can refer to. I can tell you that if there was a trail I could post to it was the flag pole run, the first run of the first day, but it certainly did not happen there. My guess would be the trail were Mike was hung up, because we noticed it shortly thereafter, but I cleared the obstacle without an issue. On that particular trail, the far side you can't see on the picture had a steep v-notched angle, which put a lot of pressure on the sidewall, but that was the drivers side. There were numerous places were the boulders rolled as we went over them. Any one of them could have tore the tire. The tire failed - no big deal. It's only a tire.

Thank you. That's ALL I was asking for - just some kind of background, some kind of thought as to what might of happened. Clearly, I wasn't there and so information, any information other than just saying something "failed" is helpful.

:cheesy: Perhaps. I suppose it's just how I grew up.

I mean this sincerely. I apologize for offending you. I didn't realize you'd be so sensitive.

I’m not that sensitive. If you’d ask my wife, she’d wish I was more sensitive.

But sure, maybe I (don’t know about the others) took offense to being labeled as a Jeep owner that “kind of sucks at wheeling” for a situation you were not even there for.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
I didn't say that. I'm just saying that I've both seen and read about several Cooper sidewall failures in just the last few months alone. Take that as you will. I'm glad you've had good luck with Coopers.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Same with seeing lots of side walls. They’re great tire by no means. We tested these at work (mine site) and they really didn’t fare so well compared to all the other tires we tested. We went through a couple sets on our survey truck. In my opinion out of the stt pros, st max, Toyo m55 and the Toto mts the Toyo mts have held up the best. I know when you start getting bigger tire size the plus start going down. But all in all tires and tires and all and will eventually get punctured. Nothing is indestructible.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’m not that sensitive. If you’d ask my wife, she’d wish I was more sensitive.

But sure, maybe I (don’t know about the others) took offense to being labeled as a Jeep owner that “kind of sucks at wheeling” for a situation you were not even there for.

I hope you realize that I wanted to know what happened BECAUSE I wasn't there. I hope that makes sense.

Again, my apology was SINCERE.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Same with seeing lots of side walls. They’re great tire by no means. We tested these at work (mine site) and they really didn’t fare so well compared to all the other tires we tested. We went through a couple sets on our survey truck. In my opinion out of the stt pros, st max, Toyo m55 and the Toto mts the Toyo mts have held up the best. I know when you start getting bigger tire size the plus start going down. But all in all tires and tires and all and will eventually get punctured. Nothing is indestructible.

I'd have to agree with Toyo's holding up the best. Of all the tires I've ever run, they've had near bullet proof sidewalls. They just don't hook up as well on the rocks.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug

I didn't have to be winched out or get stuck, so there wasn't an ah-ha moment I can refer to. I can tell you that if there was a trail I could point to it was the flag pole run, the first run of the first day, but it certainly did not happen there. My guess would be the trail were Mike was hung up, because we noticed it shortly thereafter, but I cleared the obstacle without an issue. On that particular trail, the far side you can't see on the picture had a steep v-notched angle, which put a lot of pressure on the sidewall, but that was the drivers side. There were numerous places were the boulders rolled as we went over them. Any one of them could have tore the tire. The tire failed - no big deal. It's only a tire.

One thing that could of been a possibility is the tires lossed more pressure over time. Probably not a big temperature change in Texas. But I know I aired down to 10 psi the other day and tires were up to 20 later when I aired up. I’ve know people that go to ten and have tires go to lower numbers.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Of course i realize that. That’s not the point...I think I’ve made my point clear. And I hope that makes sense to you.

Thanks for the apology, but there’s really no need to.

Okay, so, not to beat a dead horse but... can you think of ANYTHING one obstacle that might of caused the damage? Not trying to start anything but even atx had some idea. Again, looking at the pic, what I see is a pinch failure - a sign that the tire had too little air in it and the rim pinched it against a rock. Typically, this occurs when moving at a clip and slamming into a rock but I have seen it when crawling too. If not, no problem - just asking now that everything is starting to settle down again :crazyeyes:

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
LOL!! Man, you ain't kidding. The 40x15.50 Toyo MT's I used to run mounted on Spyderloc wheels weighed in at 187 lbs. EACH :crazyeyes:

A tire I think that did well were my Toyo rts I had. Were a lot softer than the mts and seemed to do well. They did chunk a bit. But so do all tires over time.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
One thing that could of been a possibility is the tires lossed more pressure over time. Probably not a big temperature change in Texas. But I know I aired down to 10 psi the other day and tires were up to 20 later when I aired up. I’ve know people that go to ten and have tires go to lower numbers.

Now there's a thought. Could have aired down to what he thought was 10 psi but ended up being lower. Hell, I see that all the time just by checking psi with different gauges.

Okay, so, not to beat a dead horse but... can you think of ANYTHING one obstacle that might of caused the damage? Not trying to start anything but even atx had some idea. Again, looking at the pic, what I see is a pinch failure - a sign that the tire had too little air in it and the rim pinched it against a rock. Typically, this occurs when moving at a clip and slamming into a rock but I have seen it when crawling too. If not, no problem - just asking now that everything is starting to settle down again :crazyeyes:

As Benito said earlier...we were in rock gardens and doing technical stuff for 2 straight days. All of our tires were being pinched and slipping with impact for most of the trip. I obviously don’t know as much about wheeling as you do, but since I was actually there i would say it could have happened literally on more than half the shit we did. I’m not trying to take the easy way out here...I’m simply being truthful.

Top Bottom