Experinces with Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Thank you very much Snboarder113- i know it sounds crazy but i really like the look of the MT. And regarding treadlife, if i can get 2 years out of them, i would be amazed- dont think i have ever gone more than 14 months in a vehicle without changing out shoes. also we have snow half of the year so the spaced out lugs, from what i understand, would track well in snow. its food for thought though. i'm still looking at my options. much appreciate your time sir.

I live in Michigan so i can attest to the tread in snow. And while it’s the best MT I’ve ever tried in snow. It still doesn’t hold a candle to something like a duratrac. Good luck with whatever you end up with.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

I have to agree here. When I lived in the mountains I had the Cooper STT Pro on my Jeep and Duratracs on my Dodge (2001, open diffs, no traction control, v8) at the same time. I took my truck everywhere once the snow came around the Duratracs just hooked up so much better.

That being said: the Cooper STT Pro was by far the best MT I have ran in all conditions.

Boudie350z

I have to agree here. When I lived in the mountains I had the Cooper STT Pro on my Jeep and Duratracs on my Dodge (2001, open diffs, no traction control, v8) at the same time. I took my truck everywhere once the snow came around the Duratracs just hooked up so much better.

That being said: the Cooper STT Pro was by far the best MT I have ran in all conditions.

Both of those tires r quite nice! Suppose i can’t really go wrong with either- main thing I need to be sure of is that I’m not shredding the insides of the Jeep up by upping to 35s. I’m getting mixed reviews from so many tire shops and random internet sources; but I’m more inclined to trust the people here on this forum.

Another question- will I need a relocation bracket or tailgate reinforcement for the 35” tire?

Ddays

Hooked
Both of those tires r quite nice! Suppose i can’t really go wrong with either- main thing I need to be sure of is that I’m not shredding the insides of the Jeep up by upping to 35s. I’m getting mixed reviews from so many tire shops and random internet sources; but I’m more inclined to trust the people here on this forum.

Another question- will I need a relocation bracket or tailgate reinforcement for the 35” tire?

You'll be perfectly fine with the 35's = I'm running a set of 35x12.5x17 Ridge Grapplers on mine. The only time you rub is at full flex, otherwise they're ok. I did raise my third brake light up to miss the tire but be careful doing that or you'll fuck up your rear camera wire ( :rolleyes2:). Throw extended rubber tire bumpers on the tailgate and you'll be good to go.

Badger 1.jpg

CL1A4290.jpg

Brendo Rex

What are the forums experience with these tires. I am peeling a lift off or new to us '15 JKUR and going back with a long arm kit and part of the plan is a new set of 37's I know Eddie ran or is running Coopers. How true to size do you all find them for calibration? I am considering Nitto Trail Grappler MT's, BFG KM2's or the Coopers SST Pros. I am leaning toward the Coopers or Nittos as I like the side wall bite on them. was curious what kind feedback anyone might .... performance, handling, wear, value, anything really....

edited my post to put less emphasis on the "hole true to size deal" thanks for the call out .... and good point

I had STT's on my Ram. I liked them. The wear was not the best. Im a BFG guy now on all my vehicles. If your putting all these tires together.. BFG's. But Nitto's are the second one in line for sure. ..

wjtstudios

Hooked
I had STT's on my Ram. I liked them. The wear was not the best. Im a BFG guy now on all my vehicles. If your putting all these tires together.. BFG's. But Nitto's are the second one in line for sure. ..

Completely agree on BFGs wearing like iron. I’ve got almost 50k on my KM2s and there’s still some tread left. I have Nitto Ridge grapplers on my Ram and love them. They’re quiet and the first set I had wore really well.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Boudie350z

You'll be perfectly fine with the 35's = I'm running a set of 35x12.5x17 Ridge Grapplers on mine. The only time you rub is at full flex, otherwise they're ok. I did raise my third brake light up to miss the tire but be careful doing that or you'll fuck up your rear camera wire ( :rolleyes2:). Throw extended rubber tire bumpers on the tailgate and you'll be good to go.

View attachment 337762

View attachment 337763

Heard. Thank you man, i will be cautious with extending the breaklight and will look into getting a longer tire bumper. i know Eddie made one from hockey pucks, but i'm not THAT clever, ha. I appreciate the pics too, good looking rig! looking forward to my girl to have some meat on er bones once i choose a set.

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
62274278157__998EF805-BAA9-4558-AB81-2DF5688D441F.jpg 62274286042__D61694D1-927E-430C-AAE4-7D979FD15504.jpg
Ok guys so this happened to me on the freeway going around 75mph running 30psi. Tires have less than 19k on them. All the tread just came apart. What you guys think?

Tire size 37-12.50

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Dafuq? The tire just fell apart? I’ve never seen something like that. From where did you purchase them?

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
Discount tire I will be heading over there first thing Monday morning. Can’t blame them and I’m pretty sure they will take care of me. Yea no warning just bam tire came apart. Scared the shit out of my wife.

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
We had to pull the remaining tread off the tire so that it wasn’t hanging off the carrier. Tire looked like it was a retread.

Discount tire I will be heading over there first thing Monday morning. Can’t blame them and I’m pretty sure they will take care of me. Yea no warning just bam tire came apart. Scared the shit out of my wife.

Just staring at it, trying to understand it, and it makes no sense, the parts that are missing and the carcass that still remains it just doesn't add up and shouldn't be possible. I'd contact cooper too they may want that guy back.

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
I wish I would of taken a picture of the tread. I was beat I just had knee surgery 3 weeks ago so it was a challenge just to change the tire. So lucky I had a friend with me and the wife to help out. I could see if I was running really low pressure and the tire got hot or something?? No idea why this happened. The tires have been really good up until this point. Not going to lie I’m a little nervous now driving wondering if the others have a defect.

I wish I would of taken a picture of the tread. I was beat I just had knee surgery 3 weeks ago so it was a challenge just to change the tire. So lucky I had a friend with me and the wife to help out. I could see if I was running really low pressure and the tire got hot or something?? No idea why this happened. The tires have been really good up until this point. Not going to lie I’m a little nervous now driving wondering if the others have a defect.

I would be worried too, theyre likely from the same batch. You can get the date codes off the tires, i wonder if there's some more numbers on the tire that cooper could tell you if they're manufactured the same time. That's like possible recall worthy failure. I still dont understand it, a new tire blowing apart like a retread coming unglued... I just dont see how thats possible under any circumstances

WJCO

Meme King
Do you know if the tire lost air first and then the tread came off or vice versa? As in....did you hear a blow out bang or did you just start hearing and feeling the flapping?

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
Do you know if the tire lost air first and then the tread came off or vice versa? As in....did you hear a blow out bang or did you just start hearing and feeling the flapping?

No low tire pressure light at all. Tire just started coming apart. It would of been way worse if it would of went flat. just really loud from the tread coming apart it was flat by the time I came to a complete stop and able to find a safe place to pull over. When I mean coming apart all the center part of the tire tread it was still complete. Maybe a patch of 8 inches was still stuck to the tire. As I mentioned earlier we had to pull the remaining off and it was a complete circle. Hope I’m making sense. The side part was gone like what’s in my pictures.

wjtstudios

Hooked
It sounds like it delaminated like the Firestone tires did in the early 90s. Did the main tread come off like a complete ring or in one piece?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom