Insurance for Aftermarket Jeep Accessories/Parts

xxJWPxx

Hagerty Insurance comes to mind. They insure specialty vehicles and race vehicles.
Basically you need to think of your jeep like a restored muscle car.
A 1968 Camaro is worth probably $2,500. But a fully restored one can be worth $100,000+. You need to have it specifically described in a separate rider.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I spoke with Hagerty previously and "they don't do modified Jeeps at this time". They guy I spoke with said it's something they are discussing doing in the future but it would have to be a mall crawler with no offroading. If your Jeep had what they considered off road parts they would look at it with a fine tooth comb if they did it.

Onefin

Do you have any recommended companies for that type of policy? Most I've tried won't cover a late model Wrangler :(

...Aside from a CHUBB policy - they're nuts expensive but they will cover the wranglers. I actually heard of them by calling Starwood motors (who makes those terrible DUB edition looking pimped wranglers and a rare occasional badass build w a hemi). I asked how customers buying 70-130k wranglers are getting coverage beyond KBB values here - their main sales guy said "hmm, I don't know, you're the first to ever ask that... :naw::crazyeyes: " After investigation, a CHUB policy will cover any agreed value. 90k was nearly 4k a year (LOL NO).

I have Chubb for my AEV built JKUR.
I would have to look at the exact terminology on the policy and see if it is stated value or declared or replacement, etc....but jeep MSRP'ed at $64,500 new.
I certainly didn't pay that when I bought new, but one year old.
Coverage and rate is based off the MSRP on the AEV window sticker.
Agent required photos and AEV window sticker, etc.
I'd assume it is easier to do a built jeep with a "value" than a bunch of aftermarket parts on top of a stock jeep?
I had USAA before and disliked their service, Chubb was close in price, but better for coverage.
We have one home insurance policy through CHubb, so there is some discount for multiple policy.
I had my wife's 2011 BMW X5 quoted by Chubb and it was crazy expensive....so she's still on USAA.
I maybe should touch bases with my Agent and make sure we are all still on the same page after 6 months?
If I had to guess the Jeep policy is about $1,200 a year. No at-fault claims or moving violations on myself or wife for past 15 plus years or so.
If someone wants more specific details on my Chubb policy, PM me and I'll track them down for you.
Chubb is a hilarious name BTW

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
We have Farmers and the agent has been great so far. The day we went and got insurance with them the first time I drove the jeep to his office instead of just taking the wife's car. That way he could see it in person. He put it into his system and have me a quote and then we went through the add ons and what I paid for them and then he gave me a new quote. I of course have to pay a higher insurance payment but everything should be covered, hopefully that is. Haven't had the lovely opportunity to try it and see and I hope I never do. Lol. Each time I add something he says just to let him know and he will adjust the policy. So hopefully it will cover the jeep and any mods in the event I get in a wreck. I did tell him if I were to get into a wreck and I was able to pull things off that weren't damaged I would go that route and they wouldn't have to pay as much out. He was fine either way.

AdrockTT

I have Chubb for my AEV built JKUR.
I would have to look at the exact terminology on the policy and see if it is stated value or declared or replacement, etc....but jeep MSRP'ed at $64,500 new.
I certainly didn't pay that when I bought new, but one year old.
Coverage and rate is based off the MSRP on the AEV window sticker.
Agent required photos and AEV window sticker, etc.
I'd assume it is easier to do a built jeep with a "value" than a bunch of aftermarket parts on top of a stock jeep?
I had USAA before and disliked their service, Chubb was close in price, but better for coverage.
We have one home insurance policy through CHubb, so there is some discount for multiple policy.
I had my wife's 2011 BMW X5 quoted by Chubb and it was crazy expensive....so she's still on USAA.
I maybe should touch bases with my Agent and make sure we are all still on the same page after 6 months?
If I had to guess the Jeep policy is about $1,200 a year. No at-fault claims or moving violations on myself or wife for past 15 plus years or so.
If someone wants more specific details on my Chubb policy, PM me and I'll track them down for you.
Chubb is a hilarious name BTW

I guess I'll reach out to them again and see if I can get a lower rate. I wouldn't be against swapping multi-policies, but I bet it would be a lot pricier... If the nearly 4k a year Jeep coverage is accurate - that's NUTS and in a few short years I'd practically have bought a new one!

BTW completely agree - funniest name evar for insurance. Guess great coverage is "hard" to find and gets some people real "excited" :)

AdrockTT

We have Farmers and the agent has been great so far. The day we went and got insurance with them the first time I drove the jeep to his office instead of just taking the wife's car. That way he could see it in person. He put it into his system and have me a quote and then we went through the add ons and what I paid for them and then he gave me a new quote. I of course have to pay a higher insurance payment but everything should be covered, hopefully that is. Haven't had the lovely opportunity to try it and see and I hope I never do. Lol. Each time I add something he says just to let him know and he will adjust the policy. So hopefully it will cover the jeep and any mods in the event I get in a wreck. I did tell him if I were to get into a wreck and I was able to pull things off that weren't damaged I would go that route and they wouldn't have to pay as much out. He was fine either way.

Excellent info - thank you! I'll check w Geico, American Family, and Farmers this week. If I can get the mod coverage in writing w a semi-reasonable premium and no mileage limits I'll be one happy happy customer!!

GraniteCrystal

Ok, here is what I got in writing from Geico.

This is just on our general policy paperwork, stating you must declare the custom items:
GeicoReminder.JPG

And this is what I got the other day as proof that my items are itemized:
customizations.JPG

No idea what "Mag wheels" are but that's how they coded it. It's just my wheels that are in the mail right now.

uberc4

I'm through gieco as well. They had no problem adding the additional coverage for a fee. You would just need to show receipts in case something happened.

xxJWPxx

This is just on our general policy paperwork, stating you must declare the custom items:
View attachment 244323

View attachment 244322

No idea what "Mag wheels" are but that's how they coded it. It's just my wheels that are in the mail right now.

This is what I've been trying to get out of Geico for the past few years! My policy states a specific dollar amount of blanketed aftermarket parts . I still find it odd that they told me no on the gears and yes on the tires but the opposite for you. Unfortunately in most cases we really don't find out what they truly will cover until a claim is filed.

GraniteCrystal

This is what I've been trying to get out of Geico for the past few years! My policy states a specific dollar amount of blanketed aftermarket parts . I still find it odd that they told me no on the gears and yes on the tires but the opposite for you. Unfortunately in most cases we really don't find out what they truly will cover until a claim is filed.
I had to call 4 times in the same day before something finally showed up in my email.

tdougherty81

This thread got me questioning my own insurance. I've been with USAA for 12 years and my rate has gone up past couple years and I wasn't covered for my mods. I priced out Geico and was able to reduce my premium, add additional coverage for my mods to both Jeeps, lower my deductible and still came in $100 less a month. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner.

AdrockTT

View attachment 244323

View attachment 244322

Thank you so much for this update and info. I will get with Geico for a quote and have them go through my mod list. I really appreciate!

AdrockTT

This thread got me questioning my own insurance. I've been with USAA for 12 years and my rate has gone up past couple years and I wasn't covered for my mods. I priced out Geico and was able to reduce my premium, add additional coverage for my mods to both Jeeps, lower my deductible and still came in $100 less a month. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner.

Glad I was able to (semi) help Tom :) I guess I'm your gekko today...

Onefin

I just looked at my Chubb insurance policy details:
Agreed value is $64,000 and annual premium is $1,295.00 with Chubb.
$1,000 deduct on comp and collision. comp coverage is $1,000,000
Zero deductible on glass.
This is on a 2015 AEV JKUR that stickered at $64,000.
We have some other insurance through them, so likely less than a separate policy would be.

Agreed value required window sticker and sales documentation along with photos, likely easier because aev issues a VIN number and Window sticker in addition to the jeep one?

Both myself and my wife don't have moving violations or at fault claims on our records for 15 years plus.

el_chupo_

Some of you with issues locking in an answer may have better luck asking your provider about a separate rider for stuff not covered with your normal policy, rather than simply trying to get a policy for $XXXXX in value.

most companies will cover a set limit for things like custom wheels or a nice stereo, but once you get into the $$ some have in their Jeep, a rider for the parts separate from a depreciating vehicle is sometimes a better option, and may also be cheaper than a stated value/agreed value policy.

It also gets away from the "will my policy cover $15k above book value" questions that will invariably not get the answer you want unless you get a good agent who understands the underwriting and wants to do some follow up work, and you might get a "yeah, we cover customization" without the person realizing that their idea of custom is $1500 in wheels, and a $3000 stereo where receipts will cover the parts (not install labor), vs what you actually have.

As to the OP - some companies, frankly, do not want to play in the world of stated value/large modification insurance. They make money on essentially economy of scale and common and easily found book value stuff. State Farm may be in that situation.

While the Jeep world has a lot of higher value customization, you might check with some other car groups - an example that comes to mind off the top of my head is Posrche 911 owners. They have experienced a phenomenon recently with GT3, GT3 RS, and some other models being "worth" 50-100k over book value, so they may have some answers on the insurance front.

Last edited:

Liam&Jess

Insurance for Aftermarket Parts

I’m trying to find the best insurance to cover our aftermarket parts on the Jeep, USAA told me to google it. What does everyone think?

Insurance for Aftermarket Parts

I have StateFarm and went in to ask the agent about adding “value” (after my friend who I think has USAA told me he added ~5k for his upgrades) to my vehicle for coverage. They said it wasn’t necessary as long as I have receipts of all aftermarket purchases. Once I finish my suspension upgrades this weekend I plan to go back in just to be sure and make sure they don’t want to take pictures or anything since it’s such a significant cost.

Liam&Jess

I have StateFarm and went in to ask the agent about adding “value” (after my friend who I think has USAA told me he added ~5k for his upgrades) to my vehicle for coverage. They said it wasn’t necessary as long as I have receipts of all aftermarket purchases. Once I finish my suspension upgrades this weekend I plan to go back in just to be sure and make sure they don’t want to take pictures or anything since it’s such a significant cost.

Thanks for the info

Top Bottom